Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How would you describe your imagination? (if you are AS or think you are AS)
I have no imagination whatsoever. 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
I have no imagination whatsoever. 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
I have some imagination. 15%  15%  [ 22 ]
I have some imagination. 15%  15%  [ 22 ]
I have a rich imagination. 32%  32%  [ 46 ]
I have a rich imagination. 32%  32%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 142

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 8:03 am

I have an idea to make a series of polls with "blind" titles so that the poll results will not be skewed by the "yes" people being more likely to click on the topic. (I.e. "Are you left handed?"... of course lefties will be more likely to click...). I hope this is ok to do; my idea is, after a number of polls, or as they are running, to collate the results and list them. So please vote :)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:00 am

I would define "imagination" by making up stories and scenarios in one's head. So by that definition, I picked "some imagination" although when I was a child my imagination was very active. Now, I tend to ponder more concrete topics or ideas.

But that generally happens from childhood to adulthood anyways. I'm not sure the change in my imagination would be an "aspie thing" for me-- despite that the topics I think about now and then definitely are/were.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:17 am

I have a vivid imagination, to the point where what I am imagining starts to feel as real, if not more real, than reality 8O.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:40 am

Hehe, I've planned conversations with certain people and acted them out alone for practice. But then after all that, somehow I feel like I've had my say (even though they were never there) and the emotion/necessity feels like it has subsided and it never gets said when I actually do meet them face to face.

Sometimes, I'm even secrectly a little baffled that they aren't aware I already had a conversation with them in my imagination and wonder why they don't somehow know what I said-- like through miles and miles of osmosis or something, lol.

Logically, I know that can't have known anything that I said. But another part of me still honestly wonders how they don't know everything I'd imagined.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 1:29 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
I have a vivid imagination, to the point where what I am imagining starts to feel as real, if not more real, than reality 8O.

Doesn't that happen to everyone?

If I add a slight creativity component to my definition of 'imagination', I have to say mine is rich and vivid. Where a common response to questions I see in other people is a bi-directional or polarized one, I seem to think things through in a more from a center point outward, radially type of pattern. I believe someone was talking to me when the phrase 'off the wall' was originated.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 1:51 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
I have an idea to make a series of polls with "blind" titles so that the poll results will not be skewed by the "yes" people being more likely to click on the topic. (I.e. "Are you left handed?"... of course lefties will be more likely to click...). I hope this is ok to do; my idea is, after a number of polls, or as they are running, to collate the results and list them. So please vote :)

That's a really good idea, about the blind titles.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 2:34 pm

Sophist wrote:
Hehe, I've planned conversations with certain people and acted them out alone for practice. But then after all that, somehow I feel like I've had my say (even though they were never there) and the emotion/necessity feels like it has subsided and it never gets said when I actually do meet them face to face.

Sometimes, I'm even secrectly a little baffled that they aren't aware I already had a conversation with them in my imagination and wonder why they don't somehow know what I said-- like through miles and miles of osmosis or something, lol.

Logically, I know that can't have known anything that I said. But another part of me still honestly wonders how they don't know everything I'd imagined.

This happens to me a lot as well; I have conversations with myself most of the time when I go running and in my room (or times when I'm alone).

Anyways, I have a very rich imagination; sometimes my family just wants me to be quiet! lol. But my band teacher always liked my imagination and the fact that I have lots and lots of knowledge; my band teacher has an imagination and is very smart as well, and a very good musician. I was even considering that he had Asperger's also, but I actually don't know for sure.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 3:25 pm

i have a wealthy imagination! :P

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:29 am

I have a really rich imaganation. I have written four novels but I haven't published them yet. I write also small proses on my blogs and sigs. I have written three or four unfinished novels. I started my own fan fiction of Final Fantasy Eight on my blog. I have more and more great novel ideas that I could start ten to twenty novels with. Writing is realymuch apart of my main obessions. l've had this writing obession since the sixth grade. I can vividly see conversations that are sortof like speeches but they are a two conversation like play. I've written one play for my drama club that I used to be on in High School and it got into the workings of staging it. I performed in my own play. So you can see my imagation is rich

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2006, 3:24 am

I'm a writer too and have been making up stories and writing them down for a long as i can remember, i am also a book worm and am totaly obsessed with fantasy worlds, made up cultures, languuages etc.
As i write fantasy i have a very vivid imaginantion. I invent entire worlds, etc. I have allways been very imaginitive.
And i also do the conversations in my head thing, normally when i'm annoyed and have to get something off my chest. Then of course after my inaginary conversation i feel better and i never actually get around to telling the person annoying me that i'm annoyed *sigh*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 5:57 am

I have a very vivid Imagination. In fact, my Imagination is so rich, that I can be my own Time Machine. I use my Imagination to play back in my Mind, what London was like, between 1954 and 1968. Perhaps, I should write some Novels. I could write one, for each year that tickles my Fancy. I know that I could do it. I'm just afraid of the results, due to fear of Rejection and the Unknown.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 8:00 am

I love writing too, by my imagination's too bad to write fiction. I don't like writing about the real world either. I just write suff from my brain.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 8:16 pm

My imagination is strong and powerful. When I was very young, I resolved to hang on to it, and not let the world bring me down to it's mundane level.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 9:57 pm

The thing most people don't realize that for humans, imagination is actually a very mundane thing. If you use language, you're imaginative. If you use tools, you're imaginative. If you can think about the future, you're imaginative. To be human is to use imagination in your daily life. In evolutionary biology/neurology, homo sapien's unique and highly complex capacity to imagine is the highest level of our intellectual development. So anyone who is functional enough to communicate with common language and use tools like a computer is actually a highly imaginative beings, whether they give themselves the credit or not.

What makes certain people stand out in terms of imagination, say like daydreamers or creative types, is really a matter of cultural and societal convention more than it is of individual ability. What we are doing is evaluating these individuals' use of their imagination in approving (like writing a good novel) or disapproving (like spendign a lot of time daydreaming) ways. People don't grow less imaginative as they get older, as often thought. What actually happens is as we grow, we learn the various ways of how society approves and disapprove of uses of imagination, and rather than lose imagination, we subconsciously censor ourselves to avoid disapproval. But most people feel better about themselves thinking it's some mystical affect of aging. Whatever. I suppose that's nicer to think to the realization society's beaten you down.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 6:31 am

When I was younger I had no imagination what so ever. As I've grown up and matured I've grown to have a vivid and rich imagination.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 6:50 am

My imagination is rich, morbid and stubbornly independent and rebllious.

In other words, it's quite happy until I try to work on one of my stories then I have no imagaination whatsoever. I think I'll have to put mine in the naughty corner sometime. :lol: