Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do numbers have "life" or a "personality" in your view (i.e. color, mood, movement)?
Yes. 22%  22%  [ 19 ]
Yes. 22%  22%  [ 19 ]
No. 28%  28%  [ 25 ]
No. 28%  28%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 88

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 8:15 am

Next one!! Do numbers have a personality to you? For example, does each number have a color, personality, mood, favorite "friend" (another number)? Are some numbers "angry" while some are "nice?" Do numbers "move" or "dance?" Etc...

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 9:23 am

Colours, and they're all on a spectrum from detestable (9) to really good (3, 6)

disneyhound
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2006, 10:35 am

I always thought green was the most comforting color. When I was in grade school, whenever we had to color things, I would only use green, blue and yellow, mostly geen. Blue was too cold, yellow was too warm, green was just right! None of the other colors seemd to work!

Reflecting today, my house is pale blue with pale yellow trim, surrounded by green vegeation! Some things just stay the same!

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:04 am

9 used to really freak me out, and 3 and 6 were my favorites too, just like Musical_Lottie. Weird.
Also, once I was staring at an 8 and I was sure that any second it ust had to untwist itself and turn into a 0.

Green/yellow and blue/red were best friends and I could never use one without the other, because they would get sad and jealous.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:10 am

I ticked no, because i although i used to study metaphysics/kabbalah & believe there is life in numbers, its not something that im acutely aware of day to day.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 11:16 am

I'm not really a numbers freak except that even numbers can really bother me.

And double digit even numbers are bad, too. Like, 24, that's just freaky. But 34, despite that it's technically even, if you added the two digits, it'd be odd. Plus 3 is odd so it eases the pain, hehe.

Odd numbers and shapes I find far more comforting.

But I voted "no" on the poll anyways because I'm not really interested in numbers and don't get an emotional reaction any further than what I described above.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 2:50 pm

Nothing big, but I prefer even numbers for most of my lining stuff up chores, because they 'balance'. 24 is a particularly wonderful number, because it divides into another set or perfectly balanced numbers, 12s, which is again perfect.

My love of gardening has made me re-think this many times and I slowly began to appreciate the asymmetry of odd numbers. Instead of making little ladder patterns everywhere, odd numbers allow me to curve my lines very gracefully in the garden ... never actually lining up exactly, but being a progressive amount off with each wave feels more lifelike. Playing with fractal imaging software has also made me a little less rigid.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 3:01 pm

Yeah I used to love fractals and the patterns they make.

But as far as raw numbers go I like even ones better.. they just look more balanced and sturdy.. though I do have an affinity for the number 9.. its just so cute and playful but people dont seem to like it much so I like to stick up for it and be its friend.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2006, 4:08 pm

Is this idea an asperger thing? I mean with all the numbers and 'personality' concepts. I certainly don't do this with numbers and colors and moods. However, I do have a favorite number, but i'm sure thatmost people do have at least one number that is their favorite. Anyways, my favorite number is 10. But other than that, I don't do this whole numbers/personality thing.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 4:11 pm

Well to literally see numbers as colors or sounds or such would be more along the lines of graphemic synesthesia. AS doesnt really have this factor as a rule but a lot of people do associate certain numbers with things other than a literal numeric integer.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 4:24 pm

yes numbers are very important! i personally don't like the number 7 or any number that ends in 7 it bothers me like you wouldn't believe. everyother number i can pretty much get along with.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2006, 3:54 am

I'm not really into numbers, though i do think that so mathematical thearies are really cool ( once there explained to me so i can understand them)
Words however are another matter, words i really like, the sounds of them, their meanings and origins, stuff like that. Also music, when i read music the notes on the page are telling a story, some are fighting, others are lovers, or their travelling some where.
A bit wierd maybe!! ! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 6:28 am

I find that the Number 1 has a very distinguished Personality. I believe that 1 is the colour, Red. It has to be lead by my two favourite Letters, which are of course, RM. Now that I've put the Ingredients together, I've come up with RM 1, which was the first Standard Routemaster.

Here's a Picture

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 10:07 am

Digits in order of preference:

9 1 0 3 4 5 7 6 8 2

Hmmm... I guess my "odds only" rule isn't quite as consistent as I thought. For some reason, 0 is fine and I also prefer 4 over 5 and 7.

As for a double-digit even number, 10 for some reason is probably the most soothing.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 1:42 pm

Fraya wrote:
Yeah I used to love fractals and the patterns they make.

Me to, when I saw Mandelbaums pattern for the first time and other fractals, I knew I liked computers. An math became a little bit more interesting.

Anyway, numbers have a colour, in fact words and names have a colour. To me.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 3:21 pm

I have some numbers but its not really numbers that bring anything to me its more animals that give me feel good things or sensations. Like Lions brings the words bold and prideful. Crows brings the words, dark evil. Other animals differnet words.