School based AS club/ support group?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

I'm just starting to look at colleges (I'm a soon-to-be-high-school-junior) and I was wondering If there are many colleges or any that have an Aspergers based club or support group just to meet other aspies. I am looking mostly into csu colleges. I am the president of a gay straight alliance an we have support group days/ socials and I was to know if something similar exists for AS kids

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 2:45 am

My community college doesn't have any such group, to my knowledge (though it does have a disability support center which I used during my first semester). I'm sure a lot of colleges will have specialized support centers for students with disabilities, but they're really for classroom accomodations and not for social meetings.

There is always the option of starting your own autism support group on campus, but the rules on my campus state that we need at least five students who would be interested in joining a club before we start one. I don't know if that's the rule on other campuses, though.

Here's a link to a list of some college campuses that do have autism support groups. See if you find this at all helpful.

http://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2011/05/25/10-impressive-special-college-programs-for-students-with-autism/