Asperger's and countries that recognize it

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

So I was just wondering, are there any countries that are known for not recognizing Aspies, or for treating them poorly? I am special education Master's student, and know that many countries don't acknowledge or educate people with disabilities, or view it as something shameful.

Do some countries not have as many Aspies? Maybe whatever the 'cause' is isn't as strong in some cultures?

So how does your country view Aspies? As far as I know, North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand are the most aware. If I missed your country in there, I do apologize. Please, enlighten me about your country. I would like to know where my people are most represented.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

In Germany, it is recognized quite well. In fact, the german social laws were changed last winter to accomodate autism better. It is even considered a disability, and you can apply for severly handicapped cards. That said, there are not many properly qualified psychatrists around to diagnose you, and socially, it is still rather inaccepted.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

Hey, I thought I'd seen some material (from 2, 3 different sources) that showed Japan as being flexible in the workplace with their Aspies...maybe I was wrong. Or, maybe 'Aspie-ness' has been handled in such a matter-of-fact way that it seeems as though the country isn't as 'aware' as others. ... ?