Confusion about what I want to do

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 7:00 pm

I got an associates degree in IT in april and i have not been abke to get a job in it. Part of the reason is lack of effort on my part. See I am not sure if IT is what I really want to do. People thought it might be agood career choice just because I am an aspie and I am good with computers, but I am finding that not to be the case ( no pun intended for all you case modders out there :lol: )

I used to be really into computters and still kind of I am. (I am writing to you on a linux box) but Ive seemed to grow past it and I am not sure if I really want to do it as a carreer. I tried when I was working through my degree to force myself to like it and even at times have myself convinced that i liked it. But the truth is starting to creep up.

Every time my family asks for help with their computer problems I get so aggravated. I even did an internship at a school district as a sysadmin and found I wasn't all that crazy about it. These credentials and skills I have seem more like an albatross now. :(

Now I have a diillema should i throw away all those school loans and take some crappy job save up and go back to schoo? or maybe even take an IT job to get more money so i can go back faster???

I am at a loss, this has been palguing me for a while, what would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2006, 7:32 pm

I'd find an IT job, save up some money and try for a different career. You might even find a job you like while saving, removing the necessity to go back into education.

If a job is making you unhappy, though, try to find a different one, even if it's in the same industry, or even a different office in the same company. Sometimes when it comes to how happy you are about your job, your working environment is more important than the nature of the work.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 7:37 pm

thats true the work enviroment can make a big difference. I just get these feeling I am going to end up torturing myself taking an IT job, like I am goingg against my heart's desires or somethng like that. Then again I'd have to work a jjob i'd hate in order to go back to school anyways so i guess it's a case of I am damned if I do damed if I dont :?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 11:38 pm

Louise wrote:
I'd find an IT job, save up some money and try for a different career. You might even find a job you like while saving, removing the necessity to go back into education.

If a job is making you unhappy, though, try to find a different one, even if it's in the same industry, or even a different office in the same company. Sometimes when it comes to how happy you are about your job, your working environment is more important than the nature of the work.

Second that.

Quote:
Then again I'd have to work a jjob i'd hate in order to go back to school anyways so i guess it's a case of I am damned if I do damed if I dont Confused

Or try what Louise said.