Do narcissists know what they're doing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Narcissists: Do they KNOW what they're doing?
Yes, but they're in denial. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes. They know exactly what they're doing. They don't CARE. 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Yes. They admit it to themselves, and care, but can't change. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
No. They miraculously don't know what they're doing. They really don't "get it." 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

I'm reading up on narcissism. I've had a bad friend who was a horrible narcissist, and a father who is a die hard narcissist and control freak. Whether either of these ass clowns knew what they were doing, or they were in a state of denial, only god knows. What do you think?

Do the people who insult the bloody heck outta you, but cannot take it at all, know they're being hypocrites? Do the abusers of the world who go out of their way to bully you, but can't handle it honestly not "get it?" They victimize anyone and everyone, but somehow they insist they're the victim. I'm as fascinated as I am appalled by it all.

I want to know. For real, what do you think? I would have given you "all of the above" but what do you think it predominantly is?

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

It's different for every person.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

Narcissists = My natural Aspie repelent. :lol:

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

I think it's plausible that they don't get it. Or that they are in denial about it. Of course, I believe there are also those who just don't care. It's hard to say which is predominant.

It reminds me of the time this girl I used to know was talking about a member of her family who had molested her. She said that he would sometimes ask if he was harassing her and then say, nah, he wasn't. Whether he was justifying it to himself or just manipulating her I can't say though.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

I'm pretty sure most do know and don't care, as long as they get self validation from their narcissism.