Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 Jul 2011, 5:16 am

mb1984 wrote:
Tsukimi wrote:
I've never taken an accurate test but I score between 135 and 150 in online ones. Which is consistent with the evaluation of 140 that I had while little.

Same for me. Until very recently I thought the average IQ must be AT LEAST 130, because I thought I was pretty stupid, at best average. I tend to underestimate myself in most things.

Dem intahnet folk is real smart with there fancy 130 iqs. Yous just gots to remember, they diffrent than from real folk!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 7:42 pm

Zexion wrote:
Quote:
It's pretty common for an aspie to have high IQ
That's not true. The average IQ for people with AS tends to slightly below average. This study found an average of 95.76:

Zander, E.; Dahlgren, SO. “WISC-III index score profiles of 520 Swedish children with pervasive developmental disorders.” Psychological Assessment, v. 22 issue 2, 2010, p. 213-22.

You could never have a truly random sample, because the highest functioning high IQ end would always be over-represented amongst the undiagnosed, and the most challenged would be over-represented amongst the diagnosed. Given that these studies are confined to diagnosed subjects, and also that the researchers almost never make any allowance made for diagnostic error (eg FXS misdiagnosed as AS, ADHD misdiagnosed as AS and so on) which stack their samples with people who are not on the spectrum, you can't rely on studies to prove your claim. Studies are studies, they don't necessarily represent fact. Science is a process, and it's not a perfect process yet.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 3:28 am

I had an IQ test as part of my autism assessment. It was 118. Nothing to write home about but not too bad either.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 5:16 am

LadySera wrote:
I've never taken an official IQ test. As a child I naturally excelled at all of my subjects. However when I was in 6th grade long division started tripping me up. I later had difficulties in both math and science courses. When I try to study science I just can't commit it to memory. I truly don't understand math above algebra even now. In school I would always do algebra "my own way" and even when my answer was correct the teachers hated it. There were things that I was interested in but wasn't grasping the way that they were taught (ex. drafting) but when I asked teachers "Is there another way to do this?" they would say "No, you have to do it this way", which I now realize is very limiting but I didn't know I was like this then.

This led to me not taking challenging math classes. When everyone received their SAT scores back mine sucked. I had a near perfect score on the language section but the math was so poor that most of the less intelligent students in my academic classes still had higher overall scores (they were all yelling their scores back and forth).

So, I'm definitely uneven skills wise. I think that I could comprehend some more stuff but the person teaching me the skill might have to work outside of the box or show me "another way".

Same, except my teachers didn't mind it so much.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 9:06 am

With most online tests, I score in the 120-140 range. When tests are largely verbally based, I score high. However, I once took the Weschler and completely bombed out on the block design test, causing my full scale score to plummet into the average range. I scored well above average on the verbal subtests and about average in the social tests, a surprise to me because I considered myself very shy and socially inept at the time the test was given. I wonder if my diagnosis might be NVLD or something similar.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 9:13 am

I always score pretty high verbally, and pretty low in things like "block design."

When I was 15, I scored very poorly in the "social picture-sequence" test. I did better once I became "more aware" of the world around me.

My full-scale score is usually between 110 and 120.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2018, 10:54 am

I imagine that Aspie IQs are pretty hard to determine based on what I've read about the subject and my own experience. Apart from the fact that Aspies tend to be "unevenly" intelligent once fully developed, scoring abnormally high on some aspects or types of tests and low on others, there's the developmental factor before that. Many of us develop differently, making it hard to measure our potential as children. One of the most curious aspects of Aspergers Syndrome is the fact that developmental delays are often accompanied by abnormally fast development in other areas. Pedantic speech is an example, and then there's hyperlexia. I think traits like these create the illusion of giftedness in young Aspies, but I doubt that it really counts towards anything genuine. I was labeled gifted at two, which is pretty ridiculous if you know me now. I'm average, my development was just different.

mil0sz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2018, 2:09 pm

I'm not sure if i'm an aspie, but i am average. my iq is 103. (i was severely depressed at that time, so it may not be 100% correct, maybe my iq is actually 105 lol) [oh and i had a difference of viq +20 > piq, though the report said it's normal. but from what i have read it's not and over 10 or 15 (dont remember, sorry) its not normal.]

people on the internet tend to exaggerate their achievements, so i don't really believe everyone, who says they're a genius. i could be bragging how smart i am too, but i prefer to be honest i guess.
really, it's just a number. A FREAKING NUMBER. to be honest, it matters the most when it's very low, i mean the test. because it's used to diagnose intellectual disabilities. but majority of people will score 100 with a standard deviation of 15 i think? so everything in the range 85-115 would be considered average. (sometimes it is different, depends on the age range, test etc)
and majority of people do go on to achieve things. some are harder and more prestigious, but still. everyone values something different. there are so many things that affect someone's achievements...

still, ppl on the internet usually are liars. everyone wants to be seen in the best light and we can't confirm whether that random dude was telling the truth.

and i have actually heard of a person with iq of 70, who studies medicine. dunno, if they will make it, they are 1st year.

and there are aspies with average intelligence, DSM IV says the person has to have average or above average iq, but DSM IV isn't canon anymore (i forgot the word for that i hope u understand what i mean <3). DSM V is more inclusive, as Autism Spectrum Disorder is a broad diagnosis, fitting asperger's, classical autism, some pdds.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 3:14 pm

My official IQ test taken the last time I was evaluated said about 115, I think.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2018, 3:41 pm

When I was child, teachers thought I am stupid. I was on some assessment when I was 6 or 7 because I struggled with writing. I don't know any results from this, my mother didn't tell me and I don't know if is possible after 25 years somewhere find out results. We did too some tests at school, this tests was limited in time and probably I didn't have good results. She only told me later, they told her that she should not force me to study in high school.

My psychologist told me before 2 years that my IQ is mild above average, she didn't tell accurate number. In some parts I had very good results like stack cubes, remember some picture and later draw it, find error on picture, she told I am good in analytical thinking. And other parts was my results not good like sorting pictures with some social situations or something what was limited in time.

One number is too general, you can be good in something and in something no.
I don't know how much believe online tests focused on some parts not at all.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2018, 2:57 pm

I've taken two IQ tests in my life and both of them gave me a score of 112. That sounds about right to me. I would say that anyone who has successfully completed an academic degree or gone on to postgraduate study (like myself) is quite likely to have an IQ over 100.

random23
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2018, 4:16 pm

I used to be obsessed with IQ tests at some point, but nowadays I think someone's IQ barely means anything. There are a whole lot of facets which define a person and the IQ is only one of them. Furthermore, it seems to me that you get different results based on what test you take and I also doubt that a high IQ automatically means that you are able to make intelligent decisions in real life.
Imo, a high IQ does neither guarantee a happy life, nor does it guarantee a promising future career.
Things like motivation and commitment, the ability to learn, and support from family and friends are much more important.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 4:26 pm

My last IQ score I have seen was 99.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2018, 8:39 pm

My IQ score is about 100. A special education professional when I was in 11th grade told me it was 117; but somehow I don't think I believe him.
Academically my strengths all lay within the area of English, specifically; writing and literature. I actually have a learning disability on top of HFA; dyscalculia. Which makes math very difficult for me! (I have not met any other aspies or people with HFA who struggle with math... I wish I could meet someone who does.)
I do not really think IQ points are an effective way to measure most people, esp. those on the spectrums intelligence, though, to be honest. As with most tests, it is fairly flawed to measuring true ability accurately.

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 9:25 am

Kraftiekortie,

Your profile of strengths and weaknesses is very similar to mine. High verbal, average social, poor spatial awareness.