PC adventure game recommendations, please.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 7:35 am

As the title suggests, please could members recommend some adventure games for the PC. I am tired of MMO and FPS games, and yearn for the enjoyment I felt when playing the Sierra adventure games,or Monkey Island, Sam and Max, and, more recently, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Edit: Darn, I misspelt Cthulhu.

Last edited by Orr on 01 Jul 2011, 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2011, 7:48 am

Sierra adventure games. Reminds me of their Quest for Glory series I played when I was growing up. They don't really make games like that any more, imo.

Dragon Age is decent (1 more than 2), Mass Effect, KOTR 1 and 2. Anyway, I reccomend the stuff Bioware used to make. They are RPG's but have pretty good story lines.

For a more puzzle game you can't really go wrong with Portal and Portal 2 (play them in order).

(also, if you like open world, Elder Scrolls 3-4 are really quite amazing)

Anyway, hope you find something that you like.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

well here are some of my suggestions. I am trying to list games that are similar to those you mentioned

Cave Story (Old school - platform style action adventure with RPG elements.)
The white Chamber (A horror based Point and click adventure game. Since you are a fan of those types from what I can tell you may be interested in it.)
Clive Barker's Undying (Old horror FPS with adventure elements, you might enjoy it, who knows.)
Alice (The original, not the new remake that just came out)
Broken Sword (surprised that noone has mentioned it)
Myst (same as above)
Riven (Same as previous two)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

K-R-X wrote:
Sierra adventure games. Reminds me of their Quest for Glory series I played when I was growing up. They don't really make games like that any more, imo.

Dragon Age is decent (1 more than 2), Mass Effect, KOTR 1 and 2. Anyway, I reccomend the stuff Bioware used to make. They are RPG's but have pretty good story lines.

For a more puzzle game you can't really go wrong with Portal and Portal 2 (play them in order).

double post on my part, but oh well :/

Id go further back than the middle age - new bioware stuff. Those old RPGs such as Baldur's gate 1 - 2, Planescape: Torment, Dark Sun, Temple of Elemental Evil, NWN (not NWN2, not counting that on here especially considering it pales in comparison to the original.)

You can get elderscrolls Arena and Daggerfall for free legally nowadays, plus I consider Daggerfall the best out of the series thus far, as well as the most challenging.

Id also recommend the old Thief games. They were excellent for their time.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 12:18 pm

Thanks for those, K-R-X and DemonAbyss10. I will take a look at your suggestions. Yes, point and click-horror is a hit with me. I remember playing the H R Giger inspired 'Dark Seed' years ago. I loved it, but I was in the minority I think, judging by the lack of similar titles.

Thank you.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

Deus Ex
Beneath A Steel Sky(check GOG.com, they have this game free. It's also on the Iphone)

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
K-R-X wrote:

Id go further back than the middle age - new bioware stuff. Those old RPGs such as Baldur's gate 1 - 2, Planescape: Torment, Dark Sun, Temple of Elemental Evil, NWN (not NWN2, not counting that on here especially considering it pales in comparison to the original.)

You can get elderscrolls Arena and Daggerfall for free legally nowadays, plus I consider Daggerfall the best out of the series thus far, as well as the most challenging.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss NWN2. It's official campaigns suck (except MOTB which is amazing aside from being laughably easy) but it has great user made campaigns like Live Forever, Planescape: Shaper of Dreams, Corruption of Kiahoro and sequel Traveler.

NWN1 does have more user made modules than 2 however, Honor Among Thieves is amazing and the Tales of Arterra series is fantastic.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

Dragon Lore 2 is probably more what you're looking for OP.
It's an old adventure game with a large city, timeline of events, puzzles.. it's the kind of game you won't win on your first 5 or so playthroughs.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

Obviously, any classic LucasArts or Telltale games, but it seems you already played those. If you like platformers, Psychonauts feels like an adventure game (probably 'cause it's by Double Fine, who are headed by Tim Schafer, who worked on Grim Fandango, the first two Monkey Island games, and Day of the Tentacle). Also check GOG.com (Good Old Games) for tons of classics, if you haven't! They patch games for use on modern computers and sell for either $5.99 or $9.99 (and free, but their are only about five free games. Luckily a couple are adventure games). They've got some good ones such as Zork and Myst (along with the sequels and spin offs of both) and Beyond a Steel Sky (which is free!).

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Alice (The original, not the new remake that just came out)

Alice Madness Returns is a sequel, not a remake.

If you like point-and-click horror games, I'm sure you'd like Sanitarium. Also, some other good PACs are Syberia 1 and 2, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Alpha Polaris.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Broken Sword, The Dig, Full Throttle are all decent.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

bit late in suggesting it but Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Its a First person survival horror game that truly is about surviving. The game itself is as twisted, if not moreso than H.P. Lovecrafts works. Also, Its a refreshing change when your playing a game in which you really cant fight back at all.

Also, it may be just me but you also seem the type who just might like the Alan Wake game. A sequel is supposed to be released soon, but its going to be a download only game for the 360 :/

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

Subotai wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
K-R-X wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss NWN2. It's official campaigns suck (except MOTB which is amazing aside from being laughably easy) but it has great user made campaigns like Live Forever, Planescape: Shaper of Dreams, Corruption of Kiahoro and sequel Traveler.

NWN1 does have more user made modules than 2 however, Honor Among Thieves is amazing and the Tales of Arterra series is fantastic.

Thats the thing though. I dont necessarily hate number two. I love it, but NWN1 felt much more polished. It can also be due to the fact that NWN2 STILL runs like a PoS on an extremely high end rig, while my old computer would run it just fine. :/

Oh well, regardless I am actually thinking of converting one of my old D&D campaigns into an NWN2 mod. Only issue being is id end up having to script a ton of new abilities as well as make some specially designed models and textures. (A corruption meter would actually be doable, considering it would be similar to the hunger meter from the MoTB expansion.)

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 7:21 am

Turnabout Substitution:
http://turnaboutsub.weebly.com/

You'll need the PyWright engine with that:
http://pywright.dawnsoft.org/wordpress/downloadsengine/

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 9:24 am

Thanks, all the replies are great. Some I have played to some degree, but there are still plenty I have not.