I am a pessimist 26%  26%  [ 14 ]
I am totally cynical 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Other / Explain 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 54

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

When I was a child, I was (obviously) much more naive and therefore a bit of an optimist. However (like many adults) I grew up more and more pessimistic.

This is pretty much what happened to me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4pvEeQDIUA[/youtube]

But I guess my insight makes it not so bad. I guess if I was a full blown pessimist, I would think of myself as a realist.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

I'm an optometrist

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

pree10shun wrote:
http://stress.about.com/library/optimismquiz/bl_15optimism_quiz_results.htm?level=15&question1=a&question2=a&question3=b&question4=b&question5=a&question6=a&question7=a&question8=b&question9=b&question10=b&question11=b&question12=b&question13=a&question14=b&q0=5&q1=12&q2=3&q3=6&q4=4&q5=9&q6=8&q7=13&q8=14&q9=11&q10=0&q11=7&q12=1&q13=2&last=15&q14=10&question15=a

According to this I am an optimist but I voted cautious optimist

optimism and pessimism feed back on themselves... choose the right one and be happy...

That test says that I'm a pessimist. Yet I got 9 out of 15 for optimistic, which is 67%. I'm thinking it's full of crap.

I also think it's ret*d that there's supposed to be a "right" answer. Take this question for example:

Quote:
You meet an important business contact at a party. You think:
a) "Lucky me! I was in the right place at the right time." [I chose this answer]
b) "I was smart to come to this party tonight!"
Your answer is pessimistic. The more optimistic answer is "b". Answer B is more optimistic because it credits the positive event as being due to personal intelligence and good decision-making rather than the external factor of luck.

But seriously. Without any knowledge of a business contact being at the party, how the heck can that resemble personal intelligence? Seriously? It seems to me like this was more of a test of "how overinflated is your ego?"

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

SammichEater wrote:
pree10shun wrote:

According to this I am an optimist but I voted cautious optimist

optimism and pessimism feed back on themselves... choose the right one and be happy...

That test says that I'm a pessimist. Yet I got 9 out of 15 for optimistic, which is 67%. I'm thinking it's full of crap.

I also think it's ret*d that there's supposed to be a "right" answer. Take this question for example:

Quote:
You meet an important business contact at a party. You think:
a) "Lucky me! I was in the right place at the right time." [I chose this answer]
b) "I was smart to come to this party tonight!"
Your answer is pessimistic. The more optimistic answer is "b". Answer B is more optimistic because it credits the positive event as being due to personal intelligence and good decision-making rather than the external factor of luck.

But seriously. Without any knowledge of a business contact being at the party, how the heck can that resemble personal intelligence? Seriously? It seems to me like this was more of a test of "how overinflated is your ego?"

Haha I just put the link in because I did the test... I never said the test was right or wrong

Last edited by pree10shun on 03 Jul 2011, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

I'm normally a realist, but may get dangerously cynical when angered. And when I'm in a good mood, my optimism is indeed high.

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 3:22 am

I'll go up and down from extreme optimism, to extreme pessimism. It seems like it happens in wave like patterns, or maybe it's just random. (I often think I might be bipolar, especially recently as it's been getting worse 8O )

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2011, 10:24 am

I'd have to say a cautious optimist. I always hope for the best but also try to imagine what the worst case scenario could be as it really freaks me out when something happens that I didn't plan for.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2011, 10:37 am

I used to be a realist but I am now realising how many people fail to search, I pessimistic that this “optimism v pessimisms thread/ question of going to be repeated time and time again

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:18 pm

I am an optimist most of the time until it feels like the whole world is against me....but I bounce back pretty quickly after that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jul 2011, 9:29 pm

I try to remain optimistic. :colors:

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

Never really thought about it.. I try to play to my strengths, and let others do what I don't do well myself. Balances out in the end.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm

I chose "other". I enjoy exploring all facets of things before commenting about them or otherwise becoming a proponent; Furthermore, I was once told by a guy I worked with that "an optimist is an accident waiting to happen", and I can't help but think therein may lie some truth.