Other / Explain 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 54

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:45 am

SammichEater wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I actually do expect lots of fairly horrible things to happen, they don't always but sometimes they do, and when bad things happen I tend not to think 'I never would have thought this could happen' I am usually one of those 'I told you so' people. Normal people do not think this way but it is how I think, I have a feeling there are less pessimists then optimists.

That's not the response I was expecting, but alright. Even if you have thought of just about every doomsday situation, of which there are infinite possibilities, how could you actually expect any specific one? You might predict a bad situation in the future, but knowing exactly in what way it will turn bad is, for most intents and purposes, impossible.

Well i am not saying I can actually predict anything but I do usually assume the worst and sometimes my assumption proves to be right. I mean I used to think about various senerios involving people with guns taking place in my school....and when I was in 10th grade some seemingly random person(not a student) came into the school and ended up killing one of the students. I mean it was a coincidence I am sure but still it was not suprising to me after having thought about it. I mean I know the reality...but its hard not to feel like there was something I could have done to prevent it which is ridiculous.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jul 2011, 1:56 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
I voted other, because I think were all much more optimistic than we should be. Nobody ever expects their car to get totaled, or their house to catch on fire, but yet everyone always has dreams of getting rich without actually having to work for it. People tend to imagine the glass being full in the future, whereas it's just as likely that the glass could be totally empty.

Usually my mind explores all the possibilites especially the things like cars being totaled, houses burning ect.

lol ya, I do the same thing. Flying on an airplane scares the **** of me. I'll play out everything in my mind and if something bothers me, get really paranoid about it.

I'd say I'm a pretty pessimistic person. One of these hope for the best, expect the worst type of people. I protect myself that way, been crushed too many times.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2011, 2:22 am

I am a complete pessimist. I normally envision every worst case scenario before doing anything of importance. I usually just refer to myself as realistic. I used to p*ss off a teacher in my HS because by 12th grade the whole school had basically sucked the soul out of me. So I always expected that anything bad could happen. She would always say that trite phrase "Can you believe...?" and I would say "yes". Eventually she said "Oh, of course you do" or something like that because she knew that I always said yes.

I try to enjoy things that I like now but it seems like whenever I let down my guard someone randomly insults me and since I'm not prepared it upsets me much more than if I had my shackles up.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 3:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well i am not saying I can actually predict anything but I do usually assume the worst and sometimes my assumption proves to be right. I mean I used to think about various senerios involving people with guns taking place in my school....and when I was in 10th grade some seemingly random person(not a student) came into the school and ended up killing one of the students. I mean it was a coincidence I am sure but still it was not suprising to me after having thought about it. I mean I know the reality...but its hard not to feel like there was something I could have done to prevent it which is ridiculous.

I guess you are right. I'm going to have to rethink my philosophy here.

Jacoby wrote:
lol ya, I do the same thing. Flying on an airplane scares the **** of me. I'll play out everything in my mind and if something bothers me, get really paranoid about it.

I'd say I'm a pretty pessimistic person. One of these hope for the best, expect the worst type of people. I protect myself that way, been crushed too many times.

There's nothing to be paranoid about when flying. If, for some reason, the pilot and copilot are both killed, you should use the radio to contact an air traffic controller. They will be able to tell you what to do in that sort of situation, and everything should work out fine.

If something goes wrong with the plane and the pilot is alive, there's nothing to worry about. They're trained to handle that sort of stuff. Heck, even I know what to do in case of a total engine failure, and I've never flown a plane in my life. Without the engines, the plane is going to stall. What you want to do is point the nose of the plane down to let gravity accelerate the plane back up to speed to keep going. By doing this, you could probably go far enough to land safely at an airport, but if that isn't an option, landing it in a body of water would be a close second, followed by an open field. Then it shouldn't be too long before you're rescued.

When flying, the only thing you should really be concerned about is an electromagnetic pulse attack. What EMP does is disable all electronics, and most modern day aircraft can't fly without all the electrical systems. Although if that happens, you're screwed whether you're in the sky, in you're car (it would cause the fuel in the car to ignite, probably killing you), or anything else really. Such an attack would make all electronic devices totally useless. I predict that that's how WWIII will be started, and it would probably be extremely effective.

Yeah, airplanes are a special interest of mine...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 3:23 am

i would've added 2 more gradations to the poll-

:neutral: i am a meliorist [things are mediocre now but are getting better]
:hmph: i am a pejorist [things are mediocre now and are getting worse]

i alternate between those two frames of mind.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:50 am

I'm a realist more than anything but these days I lean towards optimism. I used to be extremely pessimistic though up until around a year ago.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jul 2011, 5:04 am

I voted for Other & I will explain. My outlook about something is formed based on my past experiences with similar things or situations, what I've seen happen with others, & what seems logical, likely & makes sense to me. Some consider me a pessimist but I think it is not realistic to be optimistic about something when my past experiences were bad with it. I am more optimistic about things when my past experiences have been good. I do not consider myself a pessimist or an optimist; I am an analytical Realist

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2011, 10:06 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
Re: Poll

Are you suggesting that cynicism is a more extreme pessimism?

Yes... pessimism is expecting the worst to happen... cynicism is hoping for the worst to happen for whatever reason. Cynicism is a hateful, destructive point of view in my opinion.

MooCow wrote:
I want to be an Optimist... it's just hard when everything you plan goes to hell.

I think I would have to agree with you on this point. It IS so discouraging when it all falls apart, but I will still keep on trying with positive expectations just like "The Little Engine That Could". Otherwise you are almost assured of failure.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2011, 10:26 am

Hope for the best, plan for the worst I always say.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

I'm a REALIST. I am optimistic about things that reasonably should go well, and pessimistic about things which may have a track record for failing or being a problem, and I prepare accordingly.

Charles

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

TTRSage wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:
Re: Poll

Are you suggesting that cynicism is a more extreme pessimism?

Yes... pessimism is expecting the worst to happen... cynicism is hoping for the worst to happen for whatever reason. Cynicism is a hateful, destructive point of view in my opinion.

MooCow wrote:
I want to be an Optimist... it's just hard when everything you plan goes to hell.

I think I would have to agree with you on this point. It IS so discouraging when it all falls apart, but I will still keep on trying with positive expectations just like "The Little Engine That Could". Otherwise you are almost assured of failure.

Well now I might have to rethink the fact that I voted pessimist instead of cynic...considering a lot of times I do kind of hope for the worst to happen. This happens the most when I am really bored or feeling like things cannot get any worse or better.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLY9VUKpRM[/youtube]

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:28 pm

Whosinabunker wrote:
Hope for the best, plan for the worst I always say.

I tend to always skip the hope for the best part.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

I'm a fatalist, which means I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic, I just know things are gonna happen one way only, so theres nothing I can do about it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

I voted cautious optimist. I tend to believe that things will go well if I come up with a plan and apply myself, but I don't hope and dream and wish for best case scenarios to materialize out of nowhere.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 10:36 pm

According to this I am an optimist but I voted cautious optimist

optimism and pessimism feed back on themselves... choose the right one and be happy...

Last edited by pree10shun on 03 Jul 2011, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.