Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

If this was legal, would you consider it a good idea?
Yes 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Yes 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
Maybe 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Maybe 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 74

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:51 pm

You know, now that I think of it, polyandry could be one way to slow down population growth (if indeed that is something that needs to be done). A man with three wives could have three babies each year. A woman with three husbands could, at the the most, have three babies in three years. If she breastfed each baby for a year, it would be three babies over about 6 years. So basically there would be one baby for each man, in this scenario. Even if the woman were willing to undergo a lot of pregnancies, there probably wouldn't be more than 2 babies per male.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 7:26 pm

This title is the unconventional form, i.e. wives having more than one husband.

It's odd, when people talk about polygamy tis' always one man many women or one woman many men.

What about bi-sexuals?
What about none-sexual polygamy?

What's wrong with many men, many women.

or one man who has three wife's (and a couple of mistresses) and two of those wife's also have other husbands and the third wife has a 'slave' on the side.

Personally I have a partner of 6.5 years whom I'm very happily engaged to. My 'best' friend, and also possibly my partners best friend is female and we have agreed that after my partner and myself are married were going to go somewhere like mongolia and get married. (she has a kind of on-off partner, who won't marry her. She's always considered me to be 'her man' as in the man she wants and has full respect for my partner, nothing that sexual happens since my partner is particularly put off by the thought of sex with a woman but if I had some desire she couldn't satisfy and my 'second wife' could I doubt she would have any problems with it.) I also have another extremely close female friend, who considers me to be her best friend and her to be my 'none sexual' mistress/. She considers me to be the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with, though she can't get over near repulsive nature of my physical appearance to her. When my partner isn't around and my 'second wife' is there always fighting over me.

Everyone's pretty cool with it, my 'second wife's' on-off partner and father of her child don't like it one bit, but has to put up and shut up, because he realises he;s always going to be second best. (I do leave them alone unless asked to come round etc... when they are together!)

If he were actually a decent bloke, instead of the kind of bloke who slaps women about I'd be quite happy to throw him into the mix as well.

I think if it were actually legal and more socially acceptable and we had the money we'd all be shacked up together.

Love isn't about sex, and nore is commitment. I consider my extremely close female partnerships as commitments on the level of marriage. Getting married is to show that commitment.

So I'm not actually taking more than my fair share of women out of the pool. I'm not cheating on my girlfriend everyone's happy and the love, support, commitment goes around.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 8:02 pm

Sounds interesting but complicated. I mostly agree with what SeaBright said on page 1. Personally, as for myself, I know I would not want an arrangement like that. I'm still trying to decide if I really want to get married to one man again. Image

I do not care if other people want to marry more than one husband or wife. I believe it should be legal. Gay marriage should be legal in every state of our country. Its beyond ridicules that its not!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 12:23 am

Well, I can say that my polyandrous marriage has worked fairly well for about five years or so now. That may be because our various disorders and neuroses mesh so well... :)

JustMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2010, 12:40 pm

I don't think I could handle more than one husband. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle one husband (although that doesn't stop me from wanting one).

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 11:08 pm

It's not really that complicated, if anything it makes things go a lot smoother.

because I empathies on a completely different level that most people and am particularly good when it comes to more emotional women. (or women who are affected more by their emotions) There are quite a number of women who find me a kind of island of peace and tranquility who can help them over their problems instead of most other people who just exacerbate them.

And consequently some of them I feel bound to give as much 'love' and commitment as is needed to ensure they are reasonably happy and able to cope.

They do realize they can't have me all the time and I can't satisfy all their needs (and that I have a 'full time' partner)

If there with someone else I usually let them get on with it unless (or more until) they can no longer get along.

In a way it actually provides some stability where otherwise there would be chaos.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:18 am

No. Polygamy is not good. Unless it was for purely business benefits, with absolutely no feelings. It just causes imbalance, and jealousy, and not enough love.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 10:19 am

This may be true for you, Spazzergasm, but I can testify that it is not true in all instances. You really shouldn't generalize from such a tiny sample size...

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 10:46 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
This may be true for you, Spazzergasm, but I can testify that it is not true in all instances. You really shouldn't generalize from such a tiny sample size...

Maybe so, but I really can't comprehend how a romantic relationship between 3 people–or more, could ever work. It isn't really in human genes to share mates in such a way...Perhaps it is possible. But it would be a very rare exception.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:44 pm

I really don't think it's a good idea (I have acquaintances who practice it-not married, just couples) but I still voted 'maybe' because it's possible that it could work for some people. If you're going to have multiple partners, I don't understand why not just have multiple partners instead of marrying multiple partners. I don't really understand enough about it all to have a very firm opinion on the subject, but it's not something I'm interested in.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 6:49 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

Maybe so, but I really can't comprehend how a romantic relationship between 3 people–or more, could ever work. It isn't really in human genes to share mates in such a way...Perhaps it is possible. But it would be a very rare exception.

I believe it's more of a social acceptance thing than being in our genes. Polygamy or things very similar have been practiced in many cultures for thousands of years without it causing any more problems than you'd get in a normal relationship. In-fact if you talk to swingers they will say it keeps their relationships alive, because ofter 25 years with the same partner, your mind is bound to wonder a little. If your partner is involved with that it stops the 25 (or 7) year itch.

I don't really think it's in our genes to stick with one person for the rest of out lives, just look at the divorce rates etc....Polygamy lets you have a break from each other and gives you other people to share your woes about, but not people who are just going to say, ditch him / her. People who are also committed.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 9:09 pm

I thought it already was legal, at least where I am. Maybe polygamous marriage isn't 'legal', but when it comes to marriage, people seem to use 'legal' to mean 'recognized by the government in some way'. As far as I'm aware, anybody can get married; the question is whether or not it should be 'officially' recognized. On this point, I don't think marriage should have anything to do with the government, so I suppose I would against 'legalizing' polygamous marriage (and gay marriage, and straight marriage, and any kind of marriage you might come up with).

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 8:56 am

oliverthered wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

I believe it's more of a social acceptance thing than being in our genes. Polygamy or things very similar have been practiced in many cultures for thousands of years without it causing any more problems than you'd get in a normal relationship. In-fact if you talk to swingers they will say it keeps their relationships alive, because ofter 25 years with the same partner, your mind is bound to wonder a little. If your partner is involved with that it stops the 25 (or 7) year itch.

I don't really think it's in our genes to stick with one person for the rest of out lives, just look at the divorce rates etc....Polygamy lets you have a break from each other and gives you other people to share your woes about, but not people who are just going to say, ditch him / her. People who are also committed.

Yeah, but those are relatively emotionally distant relationships. Those Middle Easterners and stuff with multiple wives view them as more "property".

There was a documentary on it, it is in our genes. But permiscuity is as well. We can go both ways. But I was thinking more along the lines of just the sorts of reactions it would cause. An attempt at an actual, healthy, recupricative relationship between more than two people is almost impossible. Jealousy being the main factor. And balancing time, and being supportive of two different people, learning to satisfy two different people simultaeously...

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 6:03 pm

What about Roman, greek, mongolias, Muslims, and many many more cultures that have or still do practice polygamy throughout the ages.
Also what about all the swingers etc... Prostitutes have partners too!

Also why does any relationship have to be based on the notion of 'romance', that's a very very small part of a relationship. And if that's what your seeking in a relationship you'll probably find they don't work out too well after the 'romance' dies off.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 8:44 am

oliverthered wrote:
What about Roman, greek, mongolias, Muslims, and many many more cultures that have or still do practice polygamy throughout the ages.
Also what about all the swingers etc... Prostitutes have partners too!

Also why does any relationship have to be based on the notion of 'romance', that's a very very small part of a relationship. And if that's what your seeking in a relationship you'll probably find they don't work out too well after the 'romance' dies off.

But I guarantee you those people aren't having relationships that meet their emotional needs very well at all. The typical marriage of that sort consists of a man in charge, and his wives who do the work and bear children.
Are you talking about regular sexual partners? Or people in relationships? Our misunderstanding could be due to different beliefs of what the word "relationship" exactly is.
I'm not bsing anything entirely off of romance. I'm basing it off of love. You can't have a loving, sexual, intimate, romantic relationship between more than two people. And romance plays a larger part in relationships than you might think.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 9:32 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
You can't have a loving, sexual, intimate, romantic relationship between more than two people.

Why not? Based on what I'm aware of about what love is and how it operates, I imagine that such relationships would be unusual, but still far from impossible.