Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Emilykin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have the desire to chew? I need to ask because I have that urge a lot...I need to be orally fixated on something at all times. What about you???

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

I used to have a HUGE chewing problem... but I changed my diet, and it's sooo much better! Not saying that diet changes help everyone, but for me, it worked. Also, the chewing wasn't why I changed it, just a nice side effect.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:29 pm

I have a bad habit of chewing on my lips and the insides of my mouth. I do it without even realizing I'm doing it.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

I think I've totally ruined the whole point of having braces by chewing all the time, be it my mouth or sweets.

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

I am orally fixated to the point of ridiculousness.
I bite my nails, I smoke heavily, I'm always eating candy, gum or some other kind of edible, constantly thirsty, and am famous for my "compulsive-tooth-brushing" habit.
If none of these are available, I grind my teeth until my jaw aches.

Emilykin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2011, 6:00 pm

Jory wrote:
I have a bad habit of chewing on my lips and the insides of my mouth. I do it without even realizing I'm doing it.

Yes I do too when I have nothing other than my own mouth to chew on. I chew on my cheeks actually...not hard but hard enough.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2011, 8:34 pm

I used to chew on these all the time:

http://www.thursdayplantation.com/produ ... ing-Sticks

At least from the late 90s until 2005. I stopped buying them once I no longer lived near any retailers who sold them, but I actually kind of miss them.

Years and years before I chewed my fingernails constantly. Also, pens and pencils. I sort of spontaneously stopped these things at 18.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 1:25 am

Alot of times yes, I stopped buy that regular gum and I switched to Sugerfree Number 5 gum. I can go through gum like Smokers go through pack of cigerttes.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2011, 1:31 am

I also have a chewing problem. I chew anything that is remotely chewable: paddle pop (popsicle) sticks, bottle lids, paperclips, staples, aluminium cans, springs, fingernails, straws, ice cubes...I could go on, but I won't.

I find that if I'm not chewing on something, my teeth are clenched or grinding.

Emilykin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Goodness...look at all these replies! Thanks guys. I REALLY needed to know wither or not I was alone in my chewing habit!! ! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

Yeah, I have a bad chewing habit too... you are not alone. ;)

I bite my lip, the inside of my mouth, the cuticle of my hand, etc... when I had my retainer, I was constantly moving it around in my mouth. I love gum. I also buy sunflower seeds quite often because I can eat them over the course of the day.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Now that you mention it, I used to have a problem chewing on the insides of my cheeks and lips... perhaps some form of stimming behavior. One of my more frequent forms of stimming is still repatedly contracting the neck muscles on alternate sides of my neck.

I remember as a child of 3 or 4 sittiing at the breakfast table of my grandparents noticing the way that the other people's jaw muscles contracted and relaxed as they chewed their food. An odd observation but one that I will never forget. I also noticed the different appearance of the neck "strings" on the old folks of each side of the family.

Time to log out and prepare for leaving town... a happy holiday to all. Try to avoid the noise and crowds if you can.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2011, 11:08 pm

I drive myself nuts with my chewing.
I chew my lips mostly, pens, nails, put things constantly in my mouth.
I sucked my bottom lip when i was a kid and ended up with a severe overbite that was corrected with braces and a plate.
With braces i learnt to put on and take off my elastic bands with my tongue and would do that repeatedly all day.
With my plate i would constantly move it around my mouth - flip it upside down and twist it around in my mouth.
I love going to the dentist, even to get fillings, needles etc.
I love brushing my teeth with my electric toothbrush.
I clench my jaw, and grind my teeth.
I used to smoke constantly, or chew gum.

I go through stages when sometimes i just cant stop chewing and other times i am more relaxed - i dont know what causes it.
It seems like i chew when i am stressed, when i am studying, when i am bored, but not when i am around people cause it looks weird.

I see it as a form of stimming.
i wish i could stop - it drives me absolutely crazy.