Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm

As it's July 1st, I must wish fellow canucks on PPR a Happy Canada Day.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 9:06 am

And back at you. Got a call yesterday from ouf friend in BC - the NDP one with intense Parkinson's - to wish us the joy of Dominion Day.

He's an oddball - American born but vigorously Canadian. Calls on every holiday he knows about, we will get a July 4th call in a day or so.

Anyhow, it keeps us aware - we woke up yesterday, looked at one another, Ah, Canada Day today.

Enjoy your freedoms while you may.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Canada ended up as a free nation without a revolution and without a civil war. I wonder if the pain and blood the U.S. went through was really necessary. Why couldn't what become the U.S. have taken the route the Canadians took?

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Canada ended up as a free nation without a revolution and without a civil war. I wonder if the pain and blood the U.S. went through was really necessary. Why couldn't what become the U.S. have taken the route the Canadians took?

ruveyn

I was not there. Ask my ancestors who were there and stayed in the States, their relatives who supported the regime and had to flee to Canada, and Herself's Canadian and American and Tory moved to Canada ancestors.

Why were the English reluctant to loosen up on the 13 but willing - eventually - to dump most of the empire?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l-a7sN-H4o[/youtube]

^ This video is out of date, as Paul Martin has been suceeded by Stephen Harper as PM.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjJFTPKwzc8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFIUTo4TF-I[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I was not there. Ask my ancestors who were there and stayed in the States, their relatives who supported the regime and had to flee to Canada, and Herself's Canadian and American and Tory moved to Canada ancestors.

Why were the English reluctant to loosen up on the 13 but willing - eventually - to dump most of the empire?

Easy answer. The great war and WW2. Together they bankrupted Great Britain.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Would that have been the case had they still had us - the US?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Would that have been the case had they still had us - the US?

They did have us. They got lend-lease almost two years before we got into the war and the U.S. and Britain fought side by side.. The Mother Country folded and went bust. Canada and the U.S. prospered.

ruveyn

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 6:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Perhaps it could have if people had been more willing to wait. But I don't know. The revolutionaries were in the USA--these were the people who had a sort of distrust for government, hence the USA's libertarian tradition. Those who fled to Canada were more moderate, even conservative in some ways. They didn't have quite the same distrust of government. So Canada is a less violent, patriotic, and fiercely independent.