Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 1:32 pm

Or do you attend one?

My son wanted to go to one so I brought him this morning. The people were VERY friendly 8O and they hugged each other a lot.

I was very uncomfortable with all the touching, emoting, and the way they have people go up to the front for special prayers... but it was a surprisingly nice experience otherwise. The music was good.

I am wondering how someone with AS handles all the "warm fuzziness" and public emoting that seems to be expected in these places?

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2006, 1:47 pm

Personally, I love it when people touch me, I think it depends on the AS person and what they've experienced in their life. According to my mother as a baby / small child, I hated it when people touched me, but as I grew older I hated it when I never got hugged, I'd have to go and ask. Sad really. :P

TheLonerLatvianAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2006, 3:14 pm

Yes I have.

About a month ago I attended a Jehovah Witness church. They are very friendly and very innocent/naive. I was a bit uncomterfable with all the touchie stuff like hugging and shaking hands.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 9:40 pm

I have been invited, but politely refused because they were putting a lot of pressure on me. They became a bit hostile after I convinced them I was not interested. I was being as pleasant as possible, given that they almost wouldn't take a simple no thank you.

JDawg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2006, 10:24 pm

The touchy stuff you grow into. I'm going through the membership process at just such a church. I much prefer a church that will let in people from all walks of life (including former felons and such) and welcome them with open arms. Many traditional churches have the fake feeling of a social club which is definately not my idea of sprituality. Even if you're not used to the "warm fuzzies," give the evangelical church a chance. The people that go to these churches are generally "real" people that admit that they have "real" problems.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 4:45 am

I was going to say that I'd show up with a black shirt with a giant red upside down pentagram, but if they're nice I'd reconsider.

Mind you, there's nice, and a nice front...