Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 1:53 pm

I know that this film was created a long time ago, but can anyone give me a review/plot outline of Rain Man? I am interested as to what it is about (I have not seen it) and I would like an AS point of view to it rather than the POV of an NT person.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 2:08 pm

its about an autistic man who travels across america with his brother and who displays autistic traits..the most important one to the movie is an ability to count cards, his brother sees the advantage to this and takes him to las vegas to gamble and win money..in the end they realsie they love each other but it has been 20 years since i seen it.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 2:22 pm

donkey wrote:
its about an autistic man who travels across america with his brother and who displays autistic traits..the most important one to the movie is an ability to count cards, his brother sees the advantage to this and takes him to las vegas to gamble and win money..in the end they realsie they love each other but it has been 20 years since i seen it.

Sounds good. Thank you!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 2:37 pm

The plot is that the Tom Cruise character's father has died, he finds out that he doesn't receive the expected $ inheritance and finds out that the has an older brother who is in an institution (that has received the money). Dustin Hoffman (the autistic brother) also inherits the restored old car. Tom Cruise kidnaps him presumably to gain the inheritance and then at the end, allegedly wants his brother out of the institution.

RPM
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2006, 4:39 pm

I have seen Rainman before and I can tell ya right now that if you sat down and watched it with an Autie like me I could tell ya exactly which traits do and don't fit me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 5:28 pm

Rain Man is a movie about a Man with Autism who's extreamely obsessed with Baseball. His Brother finds out that their Father has died and that $3 Million Dollar$ has been handed over to the Estate of the Instituton, where the main character lives. The Brother sees Rain Man as an easy target and he tries to get the Money from him. The two Men travel acrossed America, to Vegas to gamble. Charlie learns to love Rain Man and he tries to get him out of the Instutution, at the end of the Movie.

TheLonerLatvianAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2006, 8:28 pm

I can break it down for you:

Tom Cruise pretty mean goes to find his brother who collected a 3 million dollar inheritance.
Tom Cruise finds out brother is Autistic.
Autistic brother follows Tom Cruise around.
Tom Cruise falls in love with brother.

Also threw in a bunch of problems and you get a GREAT movie.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 7:11 am

Thats a good movie. Shame every NT refers to it when you mention the word Autistic to them.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Thats a good movie. Shame every NT refers to it when you mention the word Autistic to them.

Yeah, but Rain Man can count how many hundreds of marbles are on the floor in a single glance. That's better for them to think than "oh, just another ret*d".

30 Aug 2006, 7:46 pm

I hated Rain Man no offense but when i watched that movie all I felt in me was the frustration for Charlie because I was picturing myself in that situation. I'd be having anxiety attacks all the time because of him because he was disturbing my routines in travelin and I'd be screaming. I was taught to never give in on someone just because of their disability and Charlie was doing things his way.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:01 am

Still, sounds like something I should watch.