Questions for those diagnosed as a CHILD

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

Most people here were diagnosed with autism/AS/PDD-NOS as an adult. However, I was diagnosed as a 5-year old and it was first diagnosis. I wasn't diagnosed with anything before ASD.

If you were diagnosed as a child, I have questions..........

-What was your diagnosis? Me: PDD-NOS

-How old were you when you diagnosed?: 5

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: 10

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed?: Maybe

-Where you diagnosed with anything before autism?: No

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

-What was your diagnosis? PDD-NOS

-How old were you when you diagnosed?: 11

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: 21

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed?: yes, because I got to go to a really awesome school, (although I didn't know why at the time) and I was able to use a help program to find a really good job.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at 9 years old. My parents probably told me right afterwards, but I probably didn't take heed until years later when it really affected me. I would rather not be diagnosed, because then I wouldn't feel so tied down by this label. And no I wasn't diagnosed with anything before autism.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

-What was your diagnosis? Asperger's Syndrome.

-How old were you when you diagnosed?: 12

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: 12... I knew what was going on at the time. :)

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed?: Yes. (Wouldn't have said that a year ago, but now, yes.)

-Where you diagnosed with anything before autism?: Nope.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

-What was your diagnosis? AS

-How old were you when you diagnosed?: 7 or 8

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: 7 or 8...as soon as I was diagnosed

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed? Yes

-Where you diagnosed with anything before autism?: ADHD

My biological mother was considered ret*d at the time. It was the late 80's so that was the offical diagnosis. She was probably really just severe AS. But anyway, even before I was born, people figured there would probably be something "wrong" with me.

Last edited by MagicMeerkat on 03 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 4:11 pm

I'm glad I found this thread, because I haven't found many threads about people who were diagnosed in childhood.

-What was your diagnosis? Mild Asperger's Syndrome and Dyspraxia

-How old were you when you diagnosed?: 8

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: I think they told me on the day I was diagnosed

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed?: No

With the last question - I was a typically developing baby, showing no signs of AS at all. My mum knew lots of other parents with babies of the same age as me, and I was no different to them, in development. I even mixed normal at preschool, and the nursery assistants didn't have any concern with me or anything like that. Then when I was almost 4 and a half, I started school, and that's when all the symptoms hit me with a bump. On the very first week, I was apparently frightened, and I hit the other children and even the teacher, and wouldn't play with anyone at playtime, and I just sat underneath the desks and wouldn't come out, and the teachers were actually rather afraid, the doctors were worried, and my parents were shocked, because this was so strange for a typically developing child to suddenly act like this on the first day of school, when I was all right 6 weeks ago at preschool, where I was mixing with just as many children. Nobody could work me out. I was taken to clinics and therapists a number of times, and nobody could suss out what was wrong. I got help at school, which quickly calmed me down, and when I was 8 years old they found a diagnosis for my odd behaviour and social and learning difficulties.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Most people here were diagnosed with autism/AS/PDD-NOS as an adult. However, I was diagnosed as a 5-year old and it was first diagnosis. I wasn't diagnosed with anything before ASD.

If you were diagnosed as a child, I have questions..........

-What was your diagnosis? Me: PDD-NOS

-How old were you when you diagnosed?: 5

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: 10

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed?: Maybe

Diagnosis: AS

Diagnosed at 7, told straight away

If I could go back, I'd definitely choose to be diagnosed

I wasn't diagnosed with anything similar to AS, I had been diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) about a year earlier though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

-What was your diagnosis? Asperger's

-How old were you when you diagnosed? 12

-When did your parents tell you you had autism?: Never. They said I had Asperger's. I was 12 when mom told me I had that. She never mentioned "autism."

-If you could go back, would you still choose to be diagnosed?: Yes.

-Where you diagnosed with anything before autism?: Before Asperger's, yes. Before autism, probably not.

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

I was diagnosed with asperger's

I know I was in first grade, I believe I was 7 or 8 years old.

My mother did not tell me until I was 13

I would still choose to be diagnosed, of course. I don't understand why not. I feel bad for anyone who went through life not knowing.

I was diagnosed with both OCD and AS at the same time.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 2:02 am

It just seems like many people on here don't want a diagnosis............ As a kid (especially young children), you can't really make a decision whether to get diagnosed or not. You may not even know what's going on when you go in the office to get diagnosed. I know I didn't.

I actually think my mom tried to explain Aspeger's to me at seven, but, like League_Girl, wasn't told it was a form of autism. Sometimes, people with ASDs would ask me if I had autism and I'd say "no" because I didn't think I did. Asperger's was a closer diagnosis than autism. When my mom said "Asperger's", I thought it had something to do with burgers! No offence, I actually did! I didn't understand that it was a condition! :lol:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 2:19 am

I'm not diagnosed, and I didn't know anything about autism/AS until a few months ago, so I can't really answer your questions. But I will say this. My life was hell not knowing. I knew there was something different about me all along. If only someone had told me, if I had some sort of confirmation that I wasn't alone and that I wasn't crazy. Just thinking about all the emotional pain I quietly suffered through because I didn't know almost makes my eyes water, and that rarely ever happens. So, yeah, those of you who were diagnosed early on, I envy you.

But, I guess if I was diagnosed early on I never would have had that euphoric "that explains a lot" moment. That was, by far, the happiest I've ever been in my life. In fact, I was so shocked with happiness that I gave myself the worst migraine headache I've ever had, and it lasted for a full week. I guess I can't change the past, but I'm just so glad that I know now. 365 days ago, I had minimal self confidence, I thought I was crazy, and I could not understand myself one bit. That has all changed, and it's in no small part due to knowing about AS. I'm a completely different person now.

Oh, and one more thing, I think it's funny that when my mom first told me about it, she did not use the word autism either. What she said was similar to this:
"I was watching this show on television today, and it was about asperger syndrome (and yes, I almost laughed because I thought she said ass burger). Aspies, as they're called, are really good at things like math and science but suck at social skills, kinda like you. Albert Einstein and Thomas Jefferson were probably aspies. I'm not saying you have it or not, but you should look into it. There's a website called wrongplanet if you're looking for more information." Well, I've been here ever since. :wink:

Sometimes I wonder if I was diagnosed when I was younger and I was just never told about it. While I don't think she would do that (she's usually good about telling the truth about everything), it seems suspicious that she always sorta seemed to know that I was different, and never questioned it. In fact, I remember her telling me specifically that my brain is wired differently several times throughout my life. Not only that, but the day she told me about AS and WP was on March 4th, and I find it strange that the article about telling children about their dx went up on the main page on march 1st. A conspiracy? Probably, but I can't help but wonder.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

That was really interesting, SammichEater. Thanks for your reply! Thanks to everyone who replied actually.