Is anyone else in college for the wrong reasons?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

I am not going to lie my current reasons for attending college are:
-I could not find a job and questioned my abilities to hold one but needed some form of income to live on.
-I applied for SSI and got denied so I stayed in college due to being unable to get income that way
-Psychology and Sociology are very intresting subjects to study(for my own knowledge, not because I think I am going to get a higher paying job with a degree in either)

So what are your reasons if they deviate from the whole 'go to school to make more money' theory?

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

ummm, because everyone said i was too smart to not go to college
because my parents will only help me out with rent money and stuff if i'm in school
because i really needed a good excuse to get the heck out of their house
because all my friends are going to college
because i really like what i'm studying even if i don't need a degree for my future career
because i thought i would be labeled as a failure if i didn't
because the first year was already paid for
because i wanted to see if really was just like in the movies
because my parents pressured me to
because my high school counselors pressured me to
because i thought it would be a good "life experience"
that's all i got off the top of my head.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

I feel I'm in it for the RIGHT reasons. To get a degree and in turn a career in a special interest. As you said mine are also Psychology/Sociology. I met with my Spanish 1 professor for the Fall (In April) and she said "I can tell you are someone that wants to be here." That made me feel good. My Sociology teacher said I should do research NOW which is flattering. I'm just getting my AA at a State College THEN on to an actual University for Bachelor etc. I've had some good professors so far. IMO the people who are there to socialize 24/7 and not focus 100% on college/career focus SHOULD NOT be in college in the first place!! !! I hope I can get my AA next Spring and then onward towards the Bachelor and so forth. :-)

paperoceans
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

I do like learning and such... And the free money (for the moment). I'm just going to school for the degree and so I can be a librarian and make a living. I don't care for the college ~experience~ and all that crap. I really don't. I'm just there to get s**t done so I can leave and live the life that I've always wanted. Me, in a cottage near a small beach town--peaceful and beautiful and me working a normal job as a librarian. That's all I want.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 9:17 pm

I'm the opposite.. I dropped out of it for the wrong reasons (to work, make money!) and 10 years later (aka, now) im finishing it because I see now how stupid that decision was.