Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
YES!

But beware, you know the fight or flight reaction?

Guess which one I have. :twisted:

I may have been in trouble when my sisters scared me and I was only reacting naturally. :roll:

Ha yes! I warn roommates and family not to sneak up on me if I have headphones on and my back turned, as I am trained in boxing and Muay Thai, and instinct will take over.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

What happens with justjelliot happens with me too...I've learned several forms of fighting through the years and, under specific sets of circumstances have been known to come around swinging. I've been in work situations where I've had to warn 'newbies' that sneaking up behind me is a very bad idea. The irony of it though, is that martial arts has, overall, helped calm the sudden switches into defensive mode...has helped me decrease (though not completely eliminate) the startle reactions. When I don't practice any of the arts, then I tend to startle more frequently -also when I'm overly tired and can't keep myself in 'discipline'.

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

It's mainly people coming up behind me unexpectedly or appearing unexpectedly that startle me. I often scream when this happens, which is somewhat disruptive at work. At my last job I had a mirror by my computer so I could see people coming behind me (especially as I was often wearing a headset or earphones), partly because a lot of people got a kick out of startling me and making me scream. One time when I was married my husband at the time opened the door while I was in the shower to join me (assuming I heard him out there, I guess, and I shrieked and started crying. I was very startled). I think it comes from the fact of me being in my "own world" and the other person thinks I would have noticed them by now, but I haven't. Note: I am not a screamer at other times, such as if I'm in a regular scary situation, then I tend to choke up. Things like mice or bugs, etc don't really startle or scare me, or at least, they don't make me scream, though I might jerk reflexively if I come in close contact unexpectedly.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

Yes. And it's definetely "flight" response for me; the way I jump, I'd probably bolt like a wild horse if I could.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:40 pm

Yes.

People with AS are sensitive to our surroundings.