Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

Ooops.

So I've been at a conference all day today - not a big conference, but in some ways that was worse due to a lack of anonymity.

Anyway, tried to keep to myself at breaks, but because I had had a hand in organising it, people kept coming to talk to me.

I also had to give a presentation at the end of the day. Nightmare.

Anyway ....

The guy before me was presenting and I was worn out (from too much interaction for too long) and anxious about my presentation and I was trying to suppress my stimming (I was sat at the back of the room so that folk wouldn't see me if I did, but nevertheless...).

I didn't do so well and at some point my hand was making flicky movements by neck/chin, within my peripheral view (I was trying not to hit my arms because that would have been really noticeable!)

I heard the guy say "OK, time to wrap it up" and he finished his presentation, about 10 minutes early.

It was only when he came up to thank me for telling him to wrap up because he could have gone on for ages that I realised ... he had thought my stim was a "wrap up" sign.

Very embarrassed I am. Ooops.

Zolikan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

It sounds like it turned out very well afterall. Nothing to be bothered by!

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 4:51 pm

Zolikan wrote:
It sounds like it turned out very well afterall. Nothing to be bothered by!

Hmm, yes. I suppose you are right. He could have thought I was being rude, but instead took it in a good way.

But it was not meant and I feel bad about making him end his presentation 10 minutes early; it was a good presentation and folk would have enjoyed hearing more.

Another day of conference tomorrow; for now enjoying solitude of a hotel room.

I'm sure that once I get over it I'm sure I'll find this miscommunication most amusing.

Anyone else had any stims interpreted in a funny way? (as in someone taking meaning from them that was not there?)