Name ONE thing that irritates you about modern culture

Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:12 pm

cyberfox007 wrote:
I am waiting for someone to show up with the Oscars with just a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers.

Whoopi Goldberg did something like that back in the 80s. She wore a black longish jacket over a white t-shirt, black jeans (I think, hard to remember now), & high top red sneakers (probably converse). At least that's what I remember...it may have been a different awards ceremony. Too many years have past since then. :-)

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

Cars....

I can't drive and have a hard time getting anywhere. Wouldn't mind going back to the old horse and buggy. Be cheaper than traveling the way people are today.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:43 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Cars....

I can't drive and have a hard time getting anywhere. Wouldn't mind going back to the old horse and buggy. Be cheaper than traveling the way people are today.

That's why i ride my bike. 8)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:51 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Cars....

I use to love riding my bike till I moved here. There are no side walks and cars run just as fast on pedestrian crosswalks as they do on the highway. I've gotten to the point where I absolutely hate cars: The honking, the shouting, the speeding, the terrible driving, the maintenance to buy and take care of it, the war we're having to fuel it which is taking a toll on our economy....etc. And to think when I was a kid I couldn't wait to drive and have a car of my own.

"The years, no doubt, have changed me." Sweeney Todd.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Cars....

I use to love riding my bike till I moved here. There are no side walks and cars run just as fast on pedestrian crosswalks as they do on the highway. I've gotten to the point where I absolutely hate cars: The honking, the shouting, the speeding, the terrible driving, the maintenance to buy and take care of it, the war we're having to fuel it which is taking a toll on our economy....etc. And to think when I was a kid I couldn't wait to drive and have a car of my own.

"The years, no doubt, have changed me." Sweeney Todd.

That REALLY stinks, I'm sorry.

I remember at one point I wanted to drive (and I often used it as a reason I wasn't normal to my parents) but now I don't care.

Solei
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2011, 5:05 am

I can't understand society's obsession with foul language, and how it's always seen as a laugh or as appropriate words to use when angry. It's just gutter-talk that doesn't describe anything. It seems foul language is acceptable when one could just be more creative with their words. Or maybe just say nothing at all.

I also hate how the R word has become so prevalent and accepted in society. It is one of the most misused words on the planet used as an insult. I hate the R word. I'll let it go if it's actually referencing a decline in something, like something scientific; that's what the word's supposed to be used for. But whenever someone used that word as an insult or a way to call something or someone stupid, I want to hit them with a sledgehammer.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

^ Totally agree.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

Solei wrote:
I can't understand society's obsession with foul language, and how it's always seen as a laugh or as appropriate words to use when angry. It's just gutter-talk that doesn't describe anything. It seems foul language is acceptable when one could just be more creative with their words. Or maybe just say nothing at all.

I also hate how the R word has become so prevalent and accepted in society. It is one of the most misused words on the planet used as an insult. I hate the R word. I'll let it go if it's actually referencing a decline in something, like something scientific; that's what the word's supposed to be used for. But whenever someone used that word as an insult or a way to call something or someone stupid, I want to hit them with a sledgehammer.

Sometimes I feel like I can't do anything about it. If I say something, I'll sound like a snitch/ect. and I'll probably ave a negative association to something.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 1:15 pm

So so much I can't begin to tell you - I'd have to write a book!!

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

Solei wrote:

Agreed!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 6:55 pm

I curse way too much, but I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'm certainly not trying to sound "cool" or "tough." I sometimes joke with people that I use the F word as a preposition, and they laugh, not realizing that I'm only exagerrating a little.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

Jory wrote:
I curse way too much, but I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'm certainly not trying to sound "cool" or "tough." I sometimes joke with people that I use the F word as a preposition, and they laugh, not realizing that I'm only exagerrating a little.

Well if you don't want to curse, then stop. I used to swear when I was younger and I stopped. Just make a swear jar.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2011, 9:09 pm

How people can get caught up in trying to keep up with everyone else in the latest fashions, technology advances, etc. I went through a period when I was caught up in it, but only with the basketball jerseys :)
It's one thing changing for when you need to (which I can see, but still struggle with); and changing just for the sake of change? What's so wrong with certain things that make you have to change?

You'll end up miserable trying to keep up. Most people can't, yet they still try to.
And how people get caught up in certain gossip about certain people, and gossip channels like E!. And pretty much Reality TV.

Always has baffled me....

Last edited by LuckyLeft on 22 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2011, 9:10 pm

Staz wrote:
I dislike the way many celebrities get popular by being hated. I dislike that people are dumb enough to fall for it and keep paying attention to them.

This. Too. YES!

majesticebony13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

what annoys me is how girls would always choose the "bad" boy and end up getting in broken relationships and claim that there are no good men and you happen to know that girl :x

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 9:11 am

Quote:
Name ONE thing that irritates you about modern culture

the thing that irritates me most is the font used to display the street numbers on the majority of the letterboxes in the world today.