What kind of jobs can someone with Asperger's get?

Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:44 pm

Any job can be done by a person on the spectrum if their individual attributes suit the career.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

Yes it seems that there should not be any limits other than personal limitations on jobs that are just way out of a person's comfort zone. Each person may be different including people on the autism spectrum to include persons with PDD-NOS and NVLD. Since each person has a unique set of talents and interests then an interest in different jobs is expected. I would love to be an artist that paints all day and listens to my favorite music and then can live off of the profits of selling my art work.

Ok that is not possible, but I wish it was. Realistically, I am smart and can make excellent grades and do well on tests. Unfortunately I am not as good at social interaction as I am at taking written tests and making excellent grades in college and graduate level courses. I am still trying and not giving up. I like talking to people on the phone so I do not mind that part of a job and even though it takes some courage at first, if I make the same types of calls on a similar subject and it is done repeatedly I become quite comfortable at it.

My issues are with co-workers, bosses and politics where it can get really nasty, ugly and back stabbing, etc. My lack of non-verbal skills maybe show up in these instances. I have had my share of dealing with vicious people when I was in junior high and beyond. It is not unique to someone like me who has NVLD and possibly ASD. Even many NTs are dealt a mean blow of bullying in junior high and beyond. :x

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 4:02 pm

kabouter wrote:
As an intelligent aspie, the thing is it's fairly easy to learn to do a lot of jobs.

Jobs I have had:
_ auto-electrician
_ timber yard worker (yuk)
_ government account clerk (yuk)
_ public servant (double yuk)
_ cleaner
_ technical assistant at a laboritory
_ offset printer
_ fruit picker
_ farm laborer (hard work)
_ computer programmer
_ systems programmer
_ computer science lecturer
_ research scientist
_ company director
_ gluten free development researcher and baker
_ gluten free beer developer and brewer
_ gluten free baker

Not a bad list is it??

The gluten free developer and tester jobs sound interesting to me. 8)

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2013, 5:24 pm

Gazelle wrote:
kabouter wrote:
As an intelligent aspie, the thing is it's fairly easy to learn to do a lot of jobs.

Jobs I have include:
. . . . .
_ gluten free development researcher and baker
_ gluten free beer developer and brewer
_ gluten free baker

Not a bad list is it??

The gluten free developer and tester jobs sound interesting to me. 8)

They are, but good examples of where you use things you learned earlier that you though would be a absolutely no use at the time, or of no practical use.

Also when developing new things or with new ingredients, there will always be problems, and you have no one to ask about it, so you have to work out the solutions yourself.

This is where a number of the aspie traits come in very useful.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

Jobs from employers who are unscrupulous and will hire and fire literally anyone.

Restaurants that pay $6 an hour, don't cover your gas for delivery driving, want you to work like 50 hours a week. Boss is an ex-LEO who knows how to manipulate people very well and nobody ever talks back to them as he's so good at manipulating and scaring people. Doesn't file taxes as he makes people pay at cost for any food they buy at his restaurant they're working in, but takes it out of their pay, thus paying all his total employees under 10K a year since they're too ignorant/tired to cook.

Selling windows at carnivals, rather convincing people to get leads. Will hire you because, f**k, why not, and fire you because you have terrible social skills and also when people say "well I have cancer and can't buy windows" and you say "Oh, OK, I understand ma'am," the boss comes and says "You should have pushed that one harder!"

Working with your father who's ashamed of you and thinks you're too clumsy to work on restaurant machines with him, and thus never calls you about working for him, but complains about how his joints all ache from working so much.

smlee4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2013, 9:01 am

1000Knives wrote:
Jobs from employers who are unscrupulous and will hire and fire literally anyone.

Doesn't file taxes as he makes people pay at cost for any food they buy at his restaurant they're working in, but takes it out of their pay, thus paying all his total employees under 10K a year since they're too ignorant/tired to cook.

Selling windows at carnivals, rather convincing people to get leads. Will hire you because, f**k, why not, and fire you because you have terrible social skills and also when people say "well I have cancer and can't buy windows" and you say "Oh, OK, I understand ma'am," the boss comes and says "You should have pushed that one harder!"

Working with your father who's ashamed of you and thinks you're too clumsy to work on restaurant machines with him, and thus never calls you about working for him, but complains about how his joints all ache from working so much.

Yup, some bosses can be unreasonable and take advantage of those who don't know how to stand up for themselves.

Erm, if u are in sales, u r expected to make money for ur boss, correct? if u don't push for sales, how do u earn ur commission?

The father is indeed working very hard. Hearing his complaints is like sharing his weal and woes? He's already very old, and still has work. Just let him voice out his troubles?

smlee4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2013, 9:05 am

Gazelle wrote:
I like talking to people on the phone so I do not mind that part of a job and even though it takes some courage at first, if I make the same types of calls on a similar subject and it is done repeatedly I become quite comfortable at it.

My issues are with co-workers, bosses and politics where it can get really nasty, ugly and back stabbing, etc. My lack of non-verbal skills maybe show up in these instances. I have had my share of dealing with vicious people when I was in junior high and beyond. It is not unique to someone like me who has NVLD and possibly ASD. Even many NTs are dealt a mean blow of bullying in junior high and beyond. :x

I enjoy repeating the same things over and over again too! When something new comes up, I frown in fact. Doing the same thing is relaxing and fun :) but over the years, I'm overcoming it and welcome challenges instead...

I saw on websites that, people like me with AS tend to speak the truth to counter office politics. Office politics is so common at work. I thought mine was a good way to handle politics. I did not realise it's how AS folks generally do :)

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2013, 3:49 am

we need our own army to deal with the nt's and their master's they live in a pyramid system.. i'll know for myself