Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

Two weeks ago my daughter was told she has pulmonary hypertension. This condition is consider %100 fatal with death in months to years depending on the severity at diagnosis and response to treatment. There is only one definitive test (cardiac catheterization) that can tell for sure and accurately gauge her prognosis but the doctor wants to wait two months and eliminate other possibilities.

I don't get the calculus here. There is a .05 percent of fatality during the test and 1% chance of other complications. But delaying treatment of pulmonary hypertension for even a few months can diminish her life expectancy dramatically, especially if anything aggravates the condition.

It seems backwards to me. Eliminate the thing that can kill you then worry about the other stuff. If her heart and lungs are healthy, the test has even lower risks associated with it. Does it seem unreasonable to have a test with less than 1 in 100 chance of problems in order to eliminate something that is 100% fatal?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

It's like somebody handing you a bomb with a timer counting down, beeping every second. Then they take it away from you saying "it will probably never go off, don't worry about it" and they set it on the table, proceeding to talk about butterflies and sweat peas. But you can hear the damn thing beeping and you don't give a crap about the butterflies.

Sorry.

I'm REALLY REALLY frustrated.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jul 2011, 4:12 pm

That is very backwards and frustrating.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:03 pm

In case you're wondering what this has to do with autism, I'm wondering if my reaction is really just my aspie-ness and I should just be happy that the doctor isn't so concerned that she would immediately order up the test.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

Well it wouldn't be out of line to question him specifically - it does seem odd. Unless, she doubts the diagnosis is truly accurate. I don't think that is Aspieness - I think that is caring, concerned and engaged parent talk.

Still, I'm suspicious of doctors when it comes to taking womens concerns seriously and acting with all the due haste required by their potential conditions. Personally, I'd ask.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:37 pm

draelynn wrote:
Well it wouldn't be out of line to question him specifically - it does seem odd. Unless, she doubts the diagnosis is truly accurate. I don't think that is Aspieness - I think that is caring, concerned and engaged parent talk.

Still, I'm suspicious of doctors when it comes to taking womens concerns seriously and acting with all the due haste required by their potential conditions. Personally, I'd ask.

I am making inquiries. But my daughter is not living with us and I have no direct access to her doctors. A second opinion seems warranted. FWIW, her doctor is a woman and pulmonary hypertension is more common among women, so I'm not sure subtle sexism is in play.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

That doctor is a F**KING MORON!! ! Definitely go elsewhere!!

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
draelynn wrote:

I am making inquiries. But my daughter is not living with us and I have no direct access to her doctors. A second opinion seems warranted. FWIW, her doctor is a woman and pulmonary hypertension is more common among women, so I'm not sure subtle sexism is in play.

I wouldn't let the sex of the doctor sway my opinion any - they are all taught in the same schools in the same ways. I've met my share of female doctors that are equally dismissive. I look for a doctor, of any sex, that actually seems to WANT to help people. The career docs vs. the healers become very clear once you've met enough. If the first doctor can't provide you with an adequate, respectful, informed answer to your questions - or worse - just disregards it and sidesteps giving you an answer, get that second opinion.