Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

This could be a moment in which you or someone you were having conversation with had an "aspie moment" - a moment when aspie traits are showing.

I was talking on MSN with someone else, lets call him "Friend".

I asked Friend, "so are you in school now?"
And he replied, "No, its the weekend."
And then I said, "No, I meant if you are going to school on weekdays during this period of time."
:lol:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

The most aspie moment I've ever seen:

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:27 pm

Took my daughter to a pet care club at the local library today and a woman came to stand beside me at the back of the room. She said 'hi' and for the life of me I could not place her face. I wasn't sure if she was one of my daughter classmate's moms - I was frantically searching my memory for who the hell she was as I smiled and tried to look like I recognized her and made some small talk.

Thank GOD she gave me context.

She was there to evaluate another child so she could also take the opportunity to fill out another observational report on my daughter as well. Lucky break!

She is a social worker who was at my house - talking to me face to face on my couch for two hours as part of the intake for wrap around services a week and a half ago! Short term memory fail or face memory fail? Dunno - but big embarrassment was avoided!

She met and observed my daughter during those visits - so when the program was over and my daughter came over, she greeted her and my daughter just gave her a blank *blink, blink*. I couldn't help but laugh. We gave her a quick reminder - nope, still nothing.

Oddly enough, she was there to observe another child - not my business who but I found myself scanning the kids to see if I could pick out who she was evaluating. Out of 36 kids, I picked the correct child even though there were 4 ASD kids present. Interesting day.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

I currently can't recall a moment right now, but I can ask someone else for a good story.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 6:47 pm

SammichEater wrote:

:lmao:
I would never do that. I'm so shy.

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

One of my co-workers at the store I used to work at was heading home and as he left he waved at me and said bye. I stared blankly back at him so he walked a few more steps, turned around, waved again with a big silly grin on his face and said BYYYYYYE!
He had to repeat the gesture of walking a few steps, turning around, smiling and waving three times before I finally figured out he wanted me to wave goodbye back :roll:

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

SammichEater wrote:

Speaking of which, I can't be the only one who gets way too excited when the windshield wipers get in sync with a song and way too disappointed when they start falling back out of sync cause they weren't really exactly in sync to start with.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Earlier today I saw my mother, who was upset about my niece having her future mother-in-law do the wedding invitations because "she has nice handwriting." So she shows me the envelope, and I ask "Okay, so what are you telling me?" at which point she explains that said future mother-in-law has a lot of money so my niece is sucking up to her. I am still left wondering, "Okay, but is the invitation thing that big a deal?"

I understand weddings are kind of a big deal, but my mind boggles at feeling snubbed for not being asked to send out the invitations.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

jc6chan wrote:
:lmao: I would never do that. I'm so shy.

Neither would I. But that guy in that cartoon has to be an aspie.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

A few months ago I was helping pilots early in the morning - pre dawn - get their planes ready to fly for the day. No one had turned on the big floodlights that illuminate the apron - often they aren't turned on as there are a certain number of permanently turned on lights that at a pinch provide sufficient light to see what you're doing. From time to time Aviation Authority inspectors visit airfields and do visual checks on planes and check pilot's and aircraft documentation etc. I was walking across the apron with a pilot and he commented " I wonder if the lights being off means there are inspectors here" - I froze and said "Are they!! " - whilst peering carefully into shadows and looking at windows of the Authority office building (which was all dark) - looking for inspectors lurking and secretively watching what we were all doing. After a few seconds I realised the pilot was staring at me and then the penny dropped - "Oh! - yeah... - haha"

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:06 pm

SammichEater wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

It's xkcd. They seem to (knowingly or unknowingly?) highlight many traits.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:19 am

If I recall correctly, there was one time when I was at my relative's house for dinner, before sending my cousins to the airport. I remember we were leaving, and I was standing outside the house and one of my cousins (not one of them who were boarding a flight) said to me "Jimmy get back inside." So I got back inside and was just standing there. And then my cousin said "Well, help move the luggage into the car." She (my cousin) said it in a manner that implied that I should've known that I was called into the house for the very purpose of helping move the luggage.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm

I was sitting in lab class at uni, a few minutes before start time. I looked out of the door and saw my lab partner through the window in a door across the hall. He waved to me and I waved back. This went on for a few seconds, then he moved away. A few minutes later he appeared in the lab, out of breath. He told me he'd been trying to get my attention. He needed someone to open the door as it had secure entry on the other side (which I knew). He had to take the long road instead.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:27 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

I always empatise with the characters in XKCD, very nerd based humor we can't get.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:

Hmmm... it's hard to tell. I think Randall Munroe is just screwing with us.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

In the bus station my bus has changed to a different stand, which I already knew, but someone else from work who gets the same bus didn't know (which I thought he did). But I walked straight past him to get to the correct stand whilst he was still standing at the stand what the bus used to stop at, and because I don't look up at people, I obviously didn't notice it was him standing there, and so obviously didn't stop and tell him that the bus was now stopping at a different stand. God knows what he must have thought about me.
I really, really ought to work on my anxiety of looking at people, because if I carry on looking at the floor all the time I will often walk straight past people I know, then look unfriendly. I found myself having to explain myself when he finally got onto the bus. I said, ''please don't take offense if I walk straight past you - it's nothing personal, it's because I don't look up at people.'' I should have added, ''because my therapist advised me not to look at other people if I don't like them looking at me, so I've done it and it's made things socially worse for me.'' But I didn't add that.

Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)