Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

fawltie
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2011, 3:20 am

The three of us were at a restaurant and there were four chairs at the table.
The waitress wanted to take the empty chair away because there weren't enough seats for the other customers.
For some reason, that made me panic.

Even though I tried to stop her, she took it away eventually and I couldn't stand it anymore.
I had a meltdown, started crying and had to leave the restaurant.

Was I acting very childishly? My mother made me feel like I had committed some grievous sin.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 3:35 am

I can sort of understand it. I can't bear it if we sit at a table with extra chairs left by preivous occupants. I have to move them all away before sit down.

That said, you have to find a way to deal it because someone else needed the spare one and it had to go to them. I don't know how you deal with it though.

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2011, 3:43 am

restaurants can be stressful. lots of sensori stimulation/people.

i don't think it's the chairs...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 3:52 am

fawltie wrote:
The three of us were at a restaurant and there were four chairs at the table.
The waitress wanted to take the empty chair away because there weren't enough seats for the other customers.
For some reason, that made me panic.

Even though I tried to stop her, she took it away eventually and I couldn't stand it anymore.
I had a meltdown, started crying and had to leave the restaurant.

Was I acting very childishly? My mother made me feel like I had committed some grievous sin.

Yes, you were acting childish.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:29 am

Was it because the fourth chair 'belonged' where it was, and removing it created an imbalance in the overall area, kind of like a man with a missing leg? if so, I can almost understand it, in a 'well that just doesn't look right at all' sense. Here you have 3 sides of a table being used, and the fourth just...there. The only thing I could suggest would be if you got the other 2 diners to move so that each occupied a third of the4 table, rather than a fourth. That way the table is rebalanced. Awkward to ask everyone to do that, but better than a meltdown.