What is so bad about being politically correct?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

If someone uses a politically correct term, people will say "Stop being so politically correct!" sometimes. I don't get it, if some chooses to use a politically correct term, what's the big deal? If they aren't telling you to use politically corrects terms, they should have the right.

I have used politically correct terms without even knowing it. I am not purposely using politically correct terms, they are just the terms I know.

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

I think people just like using the terms they've grown up with, and then don't like being told that's it's wrong and they have to say something else instead. It's not just autistics that don't like change lol

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm

Usually people say that because there is so many people that will tell you what to say :wall: But then there are people who just want to use the terms and then they get made fun of.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

I believe in calling people what they want to be called. I'm sure the people who are howling about "political correctness" here would rather not be called "ret*ds", for instance.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

You can be as politically correct as you want. Just don't call me insensitive for using a politically incorrect term.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

Political correctness can be both positive and negative.

The positive is not offending people.

The negative is the way it becomes a form of social control, over free speech and even free thought. It reigns in our thoughts, we become sheep, we stop questioning things because of the social pressure to conform or not to be seen as prejudiced.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Henbane wrote:
Political correctness can be both positive and negative.

The positive is not offending people.

The negative is the way it becomes a form of social control, over free speech and even free thought. It reigns in our thoughts, we become sheep, we stop questioning things because of the social pressure to conform or not to be seen as prejudiced.

Plus, no matter what you say/do someone will be offended by it.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Political correctness,like religion,is fine until it's taken over by fundamentalists.It then becomes an attempt at mass mind control.

Genuine examples of how fundamentalists have gone to absurd extremes to be politically correct are

Referring to "blackboards" as "chalkboards"
Changing "Christmas" to "Winter festival"
Changing the words of "Baa Baa Black Sheep"
Allowing certain religious practices to be exempt from regulations (e,g, women being allowed to wear burkas covering their face at
all times,but some shopping centres ban teenagers wearing hoods)
Some companies in Scotland banning the flying of the UK flag during the royal wedding,because the flag is used by fans of Rangers football club,in case it offended fans of their rivals Celtic (this rule attracted so much criticism from all sides that it was quickly dispensed
with)

The idea that these changes were ever considered necessary is actually offensive in itself.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
If someone uses a politically correct term, people will say "Stop being so politically correct!" sometimes. I don't get it, if some chooses to use a politically correct term, what's the big deal? If they aren't telling you to use politically corrects terms, they should have the right.

I have used politically correct terms without even knowing it. I am not purposely using politically correct terms, they are just the terms I know.

It's interesting how "politically correct" became the new shaming word. As though it's more noble and honest to insult people. Every term that now is called "politically correct" was originally coined to avoid insulting people. Like you, I don't see what's so wrong about that.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

Most "political correctness" is nothing more that politeness.

If someone is going to be personally offended by my use of a term that can be replaced by an equally useful, but less offensive term, then why on earth shouldn't I use the less offensive term? I, for one, am glad that I don't get inundated with "Merry Christmas," greetings anymore. I am not a Christian and I don't celebrate Christmas in any form, since my culture has its own winter festival. The overwhelming presence of Christmas served to underscore my difference. I have no objection to people who observe Christmas from celebrating that fact together--but I have no wish to be included in that. I am happy, however, to acknowledge the festive season in a more inclusive way.

Public law issues are more troublesome. I subscribe to the view that there is one public law for all, and permitting burqas while prohibiting hoodies strikes me as wrongheaded.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

I'll continue offending the people with the privilege, thanks.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

pluto wrote:
Political correctness,like religion,is fine until it's taken over by fundamentalists.It then becomes an attempt at mass mind control.

Genuine examples of how fundamentalists have gone to absurd extremes to be politically correct are

Allowing certain religious practices to be exempt from regulations (e,g, women being allowed to wear burkas covering their face at
Some companies in Scotland banning the flying of the UK flag during the royal wedding,because the flag is used by fans of Rangers football club,in case it offended fans of their rivals Celtic (this rule attracted so much criticism from all sides that it was quickly dispensed
with)

The idea that these changes were ever considered necessary is actually offensive in itself.

Usually these things are made up by one person who wants to complain about political correctness, and people pick up on them without checking to see if they are true. The "Baa Baa Black Sheep" example is a prime one, it is a complete fabrication: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loony_Left ... hite_Sheep

Similarly, there were stories this summer of people being "banned from flying England flags" in case they offended immigrants. This didn't happen. One woman was flying flags across her road that were deemed to be a safety hazard, and was forced to take them down. A single pub in Croydon which suffered violence at Euro 2004 was advised against allowing people to wear football shirts in the pub as they were statistically likely to be involved in fights over the period- the press reported this as "a ban on England shirts in pubs".

"Blackboards" are rarely used in schools any more, as "whiteboards" and then "Smartboards" replaced them. The term "chalkboard" comes from 1935 and is predominantly used in America.

Another example I often see cited is "brain storm". People have claimed that this is being banned may be offensive to people with epilepsy and consequently the terms "mind map", "thought shower" and "spider diagram" should be used instead, though no association of epileptics has ever declared it offensive. Again, it is something made up by people who want to sell tabloid newspapers to people who are scared of political correctness.

The "Christmas" one has some legs to it- New York has banned nativity scenes in schools- but again, it is grossly exaggerated. In 1998, Birmingham City Council wanted a festival feel for several months in order to rejuvinate their city centre, so created "Winterval", lasting from Halloween to Chinese New Year. It was nothing to do with political correctness. Here's an article on the subject. In case you don't have time to read the whole thing, I'll take out this telling quote from the Birmingham City Council:
Birmingham City Council wrote:
There was a banner saying Merry Christmas across the front of the council house, Christmas lights, Christmas trees in the main civil squares, regular carol-singing sessions by school choirs, and the Lord Mayor sent a Christmas card with a traditional Christmas scene wishing everyone a Merry Christmas

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:54 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Most "political correctness" is nothing more that politeness.

If someone is going to be personally offended by my use of a term that can be replaced by an equally useful, but less offensive term, then why on earth shouldn't I use the less offensive term? I, for one, am glad that I don't get inundated with "Merry Christmas," greetings anymore. I am not a Christian and I don't celebrate Christmas in any form, since my culture has its own winter festival. The overwhelming presence of Christmas served to underscore my difference. I have no objection to people who observe Christmas from celebrating that fact together--but I have no wish to be included in that. I am happy, however, to acknowledge the festive season in a more inclusive way.

Public law issues are more troublesome. I subscribe to the view that there is one public law for all, and permitting burqas while prohibiting hoodies strikes me as wrongheaded.

I'm not a particular fan of Christmas myself,but nowadays I think it's already become an inclusive festival without the need to change the name.I tend to think that city councils who have chosen to use 'Winter festival' are doing so to wield their power rather than it being a
sincere attempt to make it seem inclusive.
The month of March takes its name from Mars,the Roman God of War,but I don't see Pacifists clamouring to change the name. :)
I quite agree that trying to avoid offending people is the right thing to do,my only concern is when it's taken to extremes,like
refusing to use the name "blackboard" in case it offends black people ?? If that's offensive then I dread to think what the extremists
would think about wishing someone a "White Christmas" .

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:13 pm

Thank goodness I live in the USA because "Baa baa Black Sheep" had always stayed the same here. I had no idea it was blank sheep.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
pluto wrote:

with)

Usually these things are made up by one person who wants to complain about political correctness, and people pick up on them without checking to see if they are true. The "Baa Baa Black Sheep" example is a prime one, it is a complete fabrication: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loony_Left ... hite_Sheep

Similarly, there were stories this summer of people being "banned from flying England flags" in case they offended immigrants. This didn't happen. One woman was flying flags across her road that were deemed to be a safety hazard, and was forced to take them down. A single pub in Croydon which suffered violence at Euro 2004 was advised against allowing people to wear football shirts in the pub as they were statistically likely to be involved in fights over the period- the press reported this as "a ban on England shirts in pubs".

"Blackboards" are rarely used in schools any more, as "whiteboards" and then "Smartboards" replaced them. The term "chalkboard" comes from 1935 and is predominantly used in America.

Another example I often see cited is "brain storm". People have claimed that this is being banned may be offensive to people with epilepsy and consequently the terms "mind map", "thought shower" and "spider diagram" should be used instead, though no association of epileptics has ever declared it offensive. Again, it is something made up by people who want to sell tabloid newspapers to people who are scared of political correctness.

The "Christmas" one has some legs to it- New York has banned nativity scenes in schools- but again, it is grossly exaggerated. In 1998, Birmingham City Council wanted a festival feel for several months in order to rejuvinate their city centre, so created "Winterval", lasting from Halloween to Chinese New Year. It was nothing to do with political correctness. Here's an article on the subject. In case you don't have time to read the whole thing, I'll take out this telling quote from the Birmingham City Council:
Birmingham City Council wrote:
There was a banner saying Merry Christmas across the front of the council house, Christmas lights, Christmas trees in the main civil squares, regular carol-singing sessions by school choirs, and the Lord Mayor sent a Christmas card with a traditional Christmas scene wishing everyone a Merry Christmas

Granted there may be exaggerations,but it's not always just down to individuals.The Scottish Government recently tried to introduce
anti-sectarian legislation that could technically have seen people jailed for singing the UK national anthem,in case it offended anyone of Irish descent etc.The outcry was such that they've had to postpone it until they can clarify exactly in what circumstances behaviour
could be deemed offensive.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:34 pm

pluto wrote:
I quite agree that trying to avoid offending people is the right thing to do,my only concern is when it's taken to extremes,like
refusing to use the name "blackboard" in case it offends black people ?? .

This is an urban legend. I think it's a rather malicious one because unlike the urban legends that spring up organically, this one seems to have been invented by UK tabloids specifically to rile people against "political correctness gone too far".

Maybe "urban legend" is the wrong term. It's a lie.

If you google it, you can find many, many instances of people being outraged about it. But you can't find any actual instances of laws or policies that people are reacting against. It is a lie. You should stop believing it.

For the record, when I was a kid, green chalkboards were on the rise. The term "blackboard" grew less common as the green boards became more common and the teachers needed a word that would include both black and green boards. These days. whiteboards are the norm.

When you hear an outrageous story, always look to see if there are any locations or names given. Absence of specifics often means you are hearing either an urban legend or a lie.