Who else "self-medicates"? Or what medication(s) a

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who else has tried marijuana in lieu of other meds?
Tried it, but it didn't work for me or made me worse 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Tried it and still use it 57%  57%  [ 24 ]
Never tried it 31%  31%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 42

JamzHelm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

I'm a lifelong Aspie, just recently diagnosed. My new therapist is anti-medication. I've been misdiagnosed by a handful of psych docs, all of whom have prescribed me a staggering list of drugs to calm symptoms. I've tried, without good result: Depakote, Vyvanse, Clonazepam, Xanax and many others.

First off, I hate taking pills. I have had some reactions (non-allergic) to a few of the meds. None of the meds did anything to ease or curb symptoms such as anger, social anxiety, etc...

So, my new doc says I should give medical marijuana a try. (It IS NOT legal where I live, but it is available)
I had some this morning and at lunch, sparingly. (1 small vaporizer bag)
I have been quite social today at work, and relatively productive in comparison to other meds. I have felt somewhat disoriented, but only in the first 10-15 minutes of dosing.
The relaxed feeling I have had is foreign, I'm not used to it, but I like it. (I could see myself becoming an advocate for legalization of this stuff) :idea:

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 6:12 am

JamzHelm wrote:
It IS NOT legal where I live, but it is available

Maybe I'm naive but this is the part that bothers me. How do you go about getting it without risking being arrested? I suppose I could ask my daughter, but I know exactly what her response would be ... "and why do you want to know that, mom????"

JamzHelm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2011, 8:54 am

I happen to know a few people who are growing for out-of-state dispensaries, where it is legal.
I have three kids, so I know what you mean about asking them! :)
Of course, my oldest would just tell me to find it myself, and chalk it up to Dad being wierd (which I became when she turned 12 or so)

I asked around my wife's group of friends, and apparently a LOT of people smoke it... I was told by one person that of all of the adults she knows outside of work, there isn't one who doesn't at least do it on occasion. Not that asking about it would be easy.

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

I'm glad you're trying it under your doctor's supervision. I've been curious if it would help me, but I would only try it if a doctor prescribed it (which they can do here) - from what I've read, people can have a bad reaction or no improvement from getting the wrong variety, and I have issues other than AS that could make that a disaster.

JamzHelm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

I am one of those that tend to have reactions. Once you have a doctor's recommendation, talk to the folks at the dispensary. They are usually very knowledgeable on the varieties and their effects.
As I tend to have an attention issue and am prone to anxiety, which results in angry outbursts, they suggested a hybrid (Sativa & Indica) with higher CBD and moderate THC.

I have now tried two varieties, one made me apprehensive about being in public, that's a no-go. It is too strong for me to use even a little in a workplace situation. The other variety was my first choice, which is called Blue Dream. It has a long lasting effect, and keeps me calm and even somewhat social.

I would say try it, but do it at home first. This is where I feel safest. It also makes me feel more comfortable, as I can wait out any effects I don't like.

***Note: Dispensaries (at least the good ones) give samples away in single dose size so you can try before you commit to a large order.***

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

I'm only an occasional user, although if it was legal in my country I'd probably use it more regularly as it does wonders to my anxieties and sleeping disorder. need to get one of those vaporiser thingys, I've been using a bong but I kinda hate the smoke :/

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

I can't smoke marijuana because it makes me psychotic. Some people in real life don't believe me when I say my brain doesn't tolerate the stuff.

I'm glad it works for you, though. What's a pleasant reaction to cannabis like?

I take too much codeine as self-medication. I keep going back to it because of insomnia. I don't know where to get illegal opiates and I don't want to know, for my own good.

Also, I need my SSRIs.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I can't smoke marijuana because it makes me psychotic. Some people in real life don't believe me when I say my brain doesn't tolerate the stuff.

I believe you because it wasnt until my daughter (19) started smoking (a lot) a year ago that she started having symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. I blame the weed and the emotionally abusive guy she dated that got her started smoking in the first place. She still has serious problems with her anxiety, so obviously not helping there, and she talks about it (weed) like its some sort of religion.
I smoked when I was teen and it does make you relaxed and it heightens your senses (which can sometimes be a bad thing for a sensory sensitive person) but smoking a lot and regularly made me paranoid as well. I know it works for some people but for some it can make you paranoid and make your autistic symptoms worse.
My doc told me I needed a glass of wine sometimes :lol: . Valium works for my panic and severe anxiety and I like it because I have control over it, I dont have to take it when I dont need it. However I have to now take a lot of different meds due to my auto immune disease that is fusing my joints. I take opiates, Anti-TNF or Biologic as its also know, and I take NSAID's (high dose anti inflammatory). I also take another muscle relaxant to make me sleep so I rarely need my valium except for doctors appointments and the small dose of 5mg still works for me in spite of everything else I take.

PrivateEyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2011, 7:04 am

puddingmouse wrote:

I'm glad it works for you, though. What's a pleasant reaction to cannabis like?

I take too much codeine as self-medication. I keep going back to it because of insomnia. I don't know where to get illegal opiates and I don't want to know, for my own good.

Also, I need my SSRIs.

Same here. I tried it a couple of times when I was in high school and both times it gave me a really bad trip - hallucinations, emotional outbursts, extreme paranoia that lasted for hours. I'll never try it again.

A friend of mine has rectal cancer, and before he had the tumor removed he was in excruciating pain and the pian pills he was prescribed weren't helping, so I called a friend who I knew could get him some weed. The friend arrived at his home with a bud. I couldn't believe myself, because I had always been anti-weed use (and still am somewhat); but there I was rolling joints for my friend to ease his pain. He's doing much better now, BTW, not because of the weed, but because of the surgeries and everything else.

l05tin5pac3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2011, 9:35 am

the stuff is illegal where I live and I am in (slight) troubles because of it right now. but it is the only thing so far that helped me. and it really helped me a lot! however, one has to be very careful with it (as with any drug), many people get paranoia, depressions or just severe lazyness from regular use.

I wish we had medical mariuana here!! !! It would be great not to feel like a criminal because of my medication. And my psychiatrist would have had something to say apart from: "Well, as you already suspected, you do have Aspergers. However, you probably also know already, that we can't really do anything about it. Sorry. Bye."

JamzHelm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

I have resolved to stop using all pharmaceuticals. I don't get any of the adverse effects others have talked about, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm actually more paranoid when I don't smoke! lol

Still, I would be so much happier with the fact that it works if I didn't have to get it shipped in from 6 states away....and also if I had other methods besides smoking it at my disposal. That's the wonder of legalization for medical users: edibles. I'm trying to get my friend who gets it for me to also pick up some cannabis infused cookies, cakes, drinks, etc. From what I understand (which isn't much) it is easier to allot a predetermined dosage using edibles than it is while smoking it.

I never use more than I need, which is incredibly small amounts every 4-6 hours (roughly 1/16 of a gram). This is a VERY small amount according to my friends who smoke the stuff regularly. Maybe that would be the reasoning behind the lack of ill effects....

I am beginning work with a MMJ advocate here in Texas to start a campaign for legalization at our state level (which will likely be shot down, but hey it's worth a try!)

Best of luck to those willing to try this approach, it has been helpful for me and I have hopes that it could be for others. Cheers!

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

I have used marijuana on a regular basis for long periods and also gone without for long (less long) periods. For me, and many regular users I know, the standard beliefs about its effects are the exact opposite of what I experience; Here's how with and without compare for me:

With: Little to no dream recall. Want to go out and work (but I always like working alone);,
eat less; sleep more soundly with less waking; relieves constipation; want to engage in special interests more; less present when talking to others; more active mentally. More optimistic about personal future. More creative thoughts.

Without: more like a zombie and don't want to do much; eat more; recall dreams; get very constipated; more present when talking to others; kind of brain-dead feeling; sleep less soundly at night. Less hopeful about personal future.

So there are up sides and down sides with each for me, but overall I like the stuff and plan to use it forever but take breaks from time to time to get back to base line.

Two years ago I finally got a recommendation (I live in California where it is legal) This was a very positive thing for me. I stopped feeling like - and being - a criminal to get what for me is the only psych med I trust and am willing to take. It improved my self-esteem and now I don't have to seek it out through social networks that are very uncomfortable for my Aspie self.

It is so stupid the money wasted on keeping this stuff illegal and many people would be so much better using weed than taking dangerous pharmesuticals, although I understand they work for some people and weed is bad for some.

Carbonhalo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2011, 7:15 pm

My medication of choice for 30 years, but I'm not sure if it's alleviating aspie induced tension or Ehlers-Danlos symptoms.
I had already manifested chronic fatigue, so lethargy wasn't too much of an additional problem. Unfortunately smoking is becoming hazardous to my vascular and respiratory systems with age creeping up, not to mention the possibility of losing my license and employment to drug testing. ( I don't smoke before work, but the drug test isn't quantative)

Vapourisers are too cumbersome and inefficient...I'd love to try an inhaler.

timidme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Aug 2011, 8:33 am

I have been self medicating for years, ever since I learned you could change how you feel by taking drugs. My mom started me on drugs by giving me dramamine when we'd go on long vacations. I understand now, who wants to drive across the country with an adhd/aspie in the seat behind them? Dramamine made me pass out and sleep most of the way, Sleeping was something I didn't do much of, otherwise.

Back then no one knew anything about adhd, aspergers, etc. I felt like the weirdest person on the planet. So as soon as I realized I could change the way I felt with pills I started taking them, not caring much what kinds or worrying about side effects-I was just so uncomfortable around ppl it hurt.

Now I'm super sensitive to most meds and they have the opposite effect on me then most ppl. Thankfully my dr also knows and believes me and also knows by experience that when I've had some pot, I'm alot more 'normal' or at least less adhd/aspie I guess. My kids consider it my best 'med' and do what they can to help me get it, even my super straight-laced mother.(after a few discussions about this with my girls) realized how much better I was to be around when I was under the influence. They said it 'smooths' me out, I don't know what that means, but I know it helps me in so many ways:

socially feel more comfortable
mentally able to concentrate more and focus on things
easier to have and maintain a conversation
sleep better w/o bad dreams
eat less, worry less, etc.....

BUT, my girls are allergic to it, it doesn't have the same beneficial effects on them as it does me. I wish it was legal for so many reasons, esp. for ppl who don't know much about it or have any experience with things like that. Being an old hippie, back then, there were lots of ppl around to help if you had a bad experience; but for ppl like us who have social probs to begin with, finding something or someone to help now isn't easy.

After so many years of drugs and drinking that never did make my adhd/aspiness go away, I finally figured out a few things, learned about adhd/aspergers and am trying to learn how to deal with it. I even went to college to become an alcohol/substance abuse counselor - horticultural therapist combined. I know how hard it is to talk to a dr/therapist;/counselor in a normal office setting and figured ppl like me would feel much safer, more comfortable in a non-traditional environment where we could talk about the reason behind the drugs or alcohol use.

I feel alot of ppl who self medicate might have problems like we do and just need to understand what their main problem(s) really are, that they're not alone and learn how to deal with them. I would even think therapy using medical herbs would help, but along with a medical dr. involved for those who really need other meds also. I have refused anti depression meds for years because taking them will NOT make my adhd/aspiness go away or change any of the other reasons I have to be depressed, ( I have many blockages in my heart and need major open heart surgery but can only take tylenol for the pain plus have no one to help take care of my house, pets or me afterwards either so I can't/won't have the surgery, for example)

I do have more breathing problems when smoking but don't think there's any other negatives in it for me except the difficulties in finding it, trusting the quality and then the price. I wish it was legal for all those reasons and then there would be safe places available to learn if and how it would/could work for ppl like us.
I admit it helps me and lots of others also, but do not think it's best for everyone, or just as a 'recreational drug'.
I would like to hear from any others who've had similar experiences or old hippies like me.
It would be nice to find some friends while I still can.

(Puff the magic dragon !)

The obvious isn't obvious to everybody.

Bolter2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2011, 3:09 am

I'm going to try it. Please can anyone give me any advice on how to achieve a mild effect without the 'falling down, comatose etc' aspects? I've tried it before but I disliked the smell and was often paranoid about losing control, but now that I have given up alchohol I would like to try it again, if only to get a little holiday from being me :) Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks

timidme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2011, 8:59 am

Bolter2.
If you're talking about trying pot to help, do you know any ppl who do it? I dont suggest anyone do anything like this w/o thinking it thro and esp alone, if you have had previous probs with it. There are many different kinds'/types/strengths around, and whatever you get off the street may have had any number of chemicals added to it for as many number of reasons.
It concerns me that you mentioned the loss of control, falling down, comatose words; those are not usually a side effect of this, if you do have those side effects I would think you might be allergic or definately got the wrong stuff. As far as I know personally, fits of uncontrollable giggling weren't unknown, or getting the munchies, or just melting in place figuratively, like being extremely relaxed. But my kids, when they tried it, just acted really stupid/silly, they don't don't do it now and didn't really enjoy it then.
Please try to find someone experienced to help you with that if you are convinced you need to.
It started mainstream as a social experience, we used to sit in big circles just passing it around, back in the hippie days. I do understand what you mean about taking a vacation from yourself, good luck and be careful.
8)

The obvious isn't obvious to everybody.