Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

As Cousin Jed used to say.

I just noticed this. You know how the US in its greenness is dumping the incandescent bulb and making us all buy fluorescent?

Well, passing lightly over cost and health issues, which greenness MIGHT balance, read what I just read:

"Atlanta Light Bulbs strives to provide our customers with the most efficient, high quality and innovative products in the industry, particularly our energy-saving fluorescent lamps.

Currently China has one-third of the global rare earth deposits. China also processes 95% of the world's supply. The Chinese government strictly controls the production and distribution of these rare earth deposits and has drastically reduced the amount that can be exported to other countries. This has caused the cost of phosphor, used to manufacture fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps to skyrocket by more than 1000% in the past 90 days.

Effective July 8th, Atlanta Light Bulbs will be issuing an interim price increase on all fluorescent lamps. Increases will vary depending on the amount of phosphors in the lamp. All quotations prior to July 1, 2011 will need to be requoted. No other product categories will be affected at this time. However, future price increases are expected in the coming weeks and months.

Atlanta Light Bulbs has worked diligently to keep up with the latest developments. We have created a link on our website to keep you informed on market conditions regarding rare earth elements. For up to date information and to watch a video regarding the topic please visit www.atlantalightbulbs.com/rareearth. "

Should we maybe move to China, that environmental paradise?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:57 am

LED's is the future without contest, rendering this a nice opertunity for any producers that want to shift porduction in that direction.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

Oodain wrote:
LED's is the future without contest, rendering this a nice opertunity for any producers that want to shift porduction in that direction.

This will happen when the price comes down. Price is the main factor, all other things being equal.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

Oodain wrote:
LED's is the future without contest, rendering this a nice opertunity for any producers that want to shift production in that direction.

Right - They are starting to come in. We have stockpiled incandescent till the LED's get a bit more practical The fluorescents are going to make somebody a lot of money, though.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm

I don't see how fluorescent light bulbs are any better for the environment. They all end up in the trash or wherever eventually and I'm guessing incandescent bulbs are safer for the environment than mercury filled fluorescent bulbs.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't see how fluorescent light bulbs are any better for the environment. They all end up in the trash or wherever eventually and I'm guessing incandescent bulbs are safer for the environment than mercury filled fluorescent bulbs.

Exactly. Our noble leaders want to be seen to be doing SOMETHING for the symbolic value. Fortunately for them and unfortunately for us, the media and much of the people do not require that what they do actually make sense.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

I actually went and bought a LED lightbulb. In my ceiling fixture, it was extremely dim and gave off little light compared to a CFL. Since it was $35, I took it back and bought a CFL. Keep in mind that I own a LED table lamp, several LED flashlights, and a LED battery powered camping lantern, and except for the lantern (which is on the bluish side, but hey, it was $10 at a big chain drugstore, so what do you expect?) I'm happy with them. LED is certainly the future, but the technology isn't to the point yet where it can make a viable screw in lightbulb.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

Right - I have been watching the industry. That is why we are stockpiling, hoping by the time we run out, if we are still here to consume light and IF there is still electricity, the LEDs will be ready.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:21 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Oodain wrote:

This will happen when the price comes down. Price is the main factor, all other things being equal.

ruveyn

LED's promise more than they deliver. I'm a part time electrician, and even the new-generation LED's have a tendency to stop working quite rapidly. They would be worth upgrading to otherwise.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

Hah - did not know that about you. I learned a good bit from my outlaw and some coursework in electronics - I can wire a place but I am incredibly slow.

Had not heard that about LED breakdown. Inm the lower applications they seem pretty reliable, but I can see the bigger arrays could be different. Is it mainly heat buildup?