Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

My birth was ok but during the pregnancy my mother was so sick she lost about 16lbs in weight. The doctor asked about my birth when I had my assessment. I also heard that drug addicts are more likely to have autistic children. It definately looks as though autism can be caused by early trauma of some sort which prevents the brain from developing properly.

Also studies have proved that women over 35 are more likely to have children with downs syndrome so it looks like the older the eggs the more chance they don't develop normally. I'm sure there's some genetic factor involved too though.

I read not so long ago about a neglected child the police found and they didn't know if the child was autistic or just suffering from neglect, which I've heard with other feral children too. It would appear that a lack of early childhood stimulation can also be a contributing factor to the brain not developing properly.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

My mother was 44 when I was born.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

I was my mother's first pregnancy at age 23. The only unusual thing was that labor was induced for the convenience of the doctor, who was leaving town. Subsequently my mother suffered several miscarriages and was unable to have additional children.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

I got stuck because I was in the wrong position. So mom was in labor for two days and they had to use those tongues (whatever they are called) to pull me out of there and I was covered in BM. It made me very sick and if the doctor didn't pull me out of there, I would have died. I got so stressed I pooped and it went into my mouth and into my lunges. I almost died too. She should have had a c section but because she had a Kaizer doctor, she was never given one so I got sick and almost died. I was born ten days past my due date.
I joke about how I didn't even like change when I was inside my mother because I sure refused to come out and it made myself sick literally. My my my was I showing autistic symptoms before birth? 8O :lol:

But my brother got stuck too because he was so big but he turned out to be normal. He was also born about ten days past his due date.

My mom was induced with her third child because of her back and she had him a week before the due date. But she had a two hour labor with him and she said he was the easiest to have and the easiest labor ever. He turned out to have ADD, depression, and also color blindness. But I didn't notice any of his difficulties until he got to 6th grade but I just thought then he was being bad and lazy and careless. Shame on me for thinking that. But I also thought then if he could be learning disabled and it was just showing finally because the work got harder. That is what happened with me too. I was able to do my school work and then it got harder and harder and pretty soon I was unable to do it on my own. It just got abstract is all. But yet he has four aspie traits. But he was never in special ed nor had an IEP.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I got stuck because I was in the wrong position. So mom was in labor for two days and they had to use those tongues (whatever they are called) to pull me out of there and I was covered in BM.

That's the exact same thing that happened to me. My mom was in labor forty hours, and I even had a BM from stress. They had to use the forceps (the tongs) to get me out. I died twice in utero.

Thing that makes me want to hunt down those f*cking doctors and murder them, was the fact that she was begging for a c-section after I died the second time, and they scoffed. Turned out the KKK worked out of that hospital, or so nurses said. My dad is black. Hmm.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

When I was a fetus, I was constantly thrashing around. The doctors and nurses told my mother that they were almost certain I was going to be a boy because girls typically aren't that active in the womb (my dad's health insurance only covered one ultrasound and I was still too small at the time for them to be able to see what sex I was). Even during the ultrasound, I wouldn't stay still and was "freaking out." According to my parents, I would slam so hard I would shake the entire bed frame.

I was almost born on my father's birthday, but it was way too soon and they were able to stop the labor. However, about a month before I was due, I finally kicked my mother so hard that I tore the placenta cord straight off the uterine wall. Since I couldn't get food or oxygen anymore, they delivered me via emergency c-section. I came out with an irregular heartbeat, but they gave me some oxygen and I was otherwise fine.

Everyone was shocked when I turned out to be a girl.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
When I was a fetus, I was constantly thrashing around. The doctors and nurses told my mother that they were almost certain I was going to be a boy because girls typically aren't that active in the womb (my dad's health insurance only covered one ultrasound and I was still too small at the time for them to be able to see what sex I was). Even during the ultrasound, I wouldn't stay still and was "freaking out." According to my parents, I would slam so hard I would shake the entire bed frame.

I was almost born on my father's birthday, but it was way too soon and they were able to stop the labor. However, about a month before I was due, I finally kicked my mother so hard that I tore the placenta cord straight off the uterine wall. Since I couldn't get food or oxygen anymore, they delivered me via emergency c-section. I came out with an irregular heartbeat, but they gave me some oxygen and I was otherwise fine.

Do you still thrash around?

:D

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Do you still thrash around?

:D

I'm a shameless stimmer. :D

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if I was really "stimming" in the womb. What a crazy thought.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 3:00 pm

I was born 2 months premature but still weighed in at a hefty 7lb 7ozs because my mother was diabetic. She was also 44 years old. I had problems due to particularly bad jaundice and repeated convulsions (seizures).

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

I had a cesarean birth.

Me and my mother's hearts stopped beating temporarily due to lack of oxygen. We were revived though. Both of us very nearly died, me especially.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

I was breach and shunted between two hospitals around Christmas time during a severe winter. I was blue in the ambulance because of the cold and my Mum missed her Christmas lunch and was not happy. :roll:

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2011, 10:05 pm

When I was born, Mom had a pretty difficult time. However, we both came through it okay, so I don't know if my birth played any role in my Autism.
My Mother keeps saying the reason I am the way I am is caused by "brain damage" when I was still a baby and when I was a boy. (I fell on my head more than once) I know I'm still smart, though. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm

I don't recall anything my mother said about my birth, but I know that before I was two months old I had a really bad infection with a really high fever that I had to be hospitalized for. Apparently, I also got jaundice from said infection.

My liver generally works fine, as far as that goes.

Several months ago I was googling madly to find out if that could cause ADHD or autism.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2011, 12:02 am

My mom had her second cerebral hemorrhage while she was pregnant with me; I think I was full term but I'm not sure. I was a caesarian birth because the doctors thought a vaginal birth would be too much stress on her. I contracted a staph infection while in the hospital that made me very sick. I was small (6lbs, 7oz.) but I'm a fairly small person so I don't think that was significant. A lot of the women in my family are small adults.

Joro
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

During pregnancy there was something wrong with the protein content, it was too high. The doctors wanted my mom to have her baby immediately but she refused to their advices and wanted to have a normal birth. But my birth was not quite normal, I had to be put out by a special device, a vacuum extractor. I still have a damage on my head from this.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

Although I recognize autistic traits in my family history, I also had a difficult birth. I became tangled in my cord and was delivered by an emergency C-section. I was then placed in an incubator. I believe that the genetics in my family along with my birth issues caused my Asperger's.