Page 4 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 7:59 am

Verdandi wrote:
For the longest time, portrayals of autistic people made me acutely uncomfortable and self-conscious. They still did over the past year - I liked the movies, just had trouble responding to the characters. Adam and Mary & Max provoked this reaction the least and I think Mozart and the Whale provoked it the most.

I think some of the portrayals seem exaggerated (based on people I've seen in youtube videos) but I don't really hold a strong opinion on that.

They are exaggerated, because the film media has to tell a long story in less than two hours, so something has to be left out and the rest has to be distilled and simplified in order to work - like a caricature..
Mozart and the whale is mostly comedy - and a good one.

One of the most touching portrayals, I´ve seen, is Johns father in "Dear John". That actor is so underrated.

I once saw a bit of an english TV movie on youtube about a coloured man with AS and his white sweetheart - who probably had AS too. They weren´t exaggerated or caricatured at all. I would like to see it, but it can´t be viewed in zone 2.