I've encountered Aspie discrimination....

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 8:34 pm

I have worked two jobs for 9 years each and a whole bunch for 2 weeks or more. I have encountered extreme discrimination of the first 9 year long job. Most of the people I worked with I went to high school with them so they knew I was in special education classes. They called me a ret*d everyday making "Duhhhhh" sounds when I would walk by or tried to say something. They also went out of their way to make my life a living hell. They would tell the boss not to move me to a fulltime employee because I lived with my parents and do not drive so according to them I did not need the extra money like them. The boss gave me fulltime hours and responsibilities but kept me at a partime pay scale. The guys who said they needed to be fulltime jobs who had illigeitimate babies they had to support but once a week their girlfriends would be coming in crying or screaming about how they were spending money on their car stereo systems and expensive clothes for their new girlfriend and not their young children. So I spit in their drinks and food everytime I could get away with it if I could have got my hands on an untraceable poison they would all be dead now and I would be a hell of a lot happier.

I do not think you were discriminated against you just had a bad interview. When you have been discriminated against you feel an extreme rage and a sense of injustice.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

I applied for a job at Kindercare (a chain of child care centers) in the Eugene, Oregon area and the director at the Oakmont location recently got back to me and said they were not hiring for the whole year.
Before that when i picked up the application, I told the director who I was and that I was looking for a child care aide position.
Now before I go any further, I just want to say I've looked at the format of Kindercare based on the views of parents who have used their center and from the looks of things, they seem to be under-staffed in every location and it seems to be because people don't last long there. They either quit or get fired for some totally bogus reason.
Now back to my story, when I told the director about myself and that I was looking for a part time job as a child care aide, she looked at me funny (confused actually) then said "We don't need anymore staff, thank you." then when I made myself more specific she said "I'll think about it."
Little did I know, I would get false hope just a couple of weeks after the application was submitted.
With all the avoiding that the director was doing that day, Being turned down makes me wonder if Kindercare discriminates against (potential) employees on the spectrum.

warchildbosnia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

Not to mention that I'm exceptionally nervous at an interview, knowing they are probably trying to read me and probably analyzing the things I say! It's the kind of stuff that makes you WANT to keep quiet, lol! Interviews are rough for me, too. :(

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

You call this discrimination? You got asked for a 2nd interview.

As someone who works in a mid-sized company, I know that personality matters. People with an attitude that doesn't mesh with the culture become distractions, and take away from others. Therefore, it is damn important for an interviewer to gauge how a person will perform both with the customer, and with the coworker.

If an employer picks a worse candidate due to personality type, then he has cost himself money. It's simple.

And also, this might stun you, but 50% of people would be in the extroverted half, and 50% are in the introverted half. Even in this mess of an economy, 91% of people who want jobs, have jobs. The world isn't stacked against you, just because you're an introvert.