Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2006, 12:29 am

What is wrong with tv now days?? You don't see any decent shows anymore (rarely). What happened to shows like diff'rent strokes,the love boat, family ties, the golden girls,and even home improvement,
musn't forget about dear old seinfeld! All you see now days is crap like
Big brother, American idol, and all those money making shows, all I watch now days is the simpsons and re runs of M.A.S.H.

am i starting to show my age or is the world getting worse

i am 24

8O

MD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2006, 5:54 am

I think it's actually gotten better. A few years ago all we had were reality shows. Now Lost, 24, Psych, Monk, etc. are getting big and networks are actually putting out shows with actual scripts and plots.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 6:50 am

I would split the difference. The sitcoms are just awful non-original garbage, but the action/adventure and to a lesser extent the drama is doing better then it done in some time.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 6:56 am

Yep. I agree with you. I watch my DVD boxset TV Shows most of the time as there are no good TV Shows nowawadays. And I'm 14. I have a whole range of classic british comedy TV shows.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2006, 7:44 am

Yeah, tv has gone down hell's toilet.

I think the primary function of tv shows are no longer entertainment but raitings. It was always going this way, it was doomed from the begining.

I believe it has already gone further now and psychological manipulation tactics are used. I wouldn't go as far as calling it brainwashing, just a carefull formulation of pretty much every aspect of a production, tweaked to increase the overall psychological effect. Well that's what I suspect for the expensive ones at least. All the rest just obviously suck to everyone. But maybe I'm just paranoid.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 7:57 am

Oh, so you are talking about reality shows!

I think there are too many soap operas on as well.

I'll tell you something. I think "Deal or No Deal" is one of the best TV shows to ever come on television in quite some time.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 7:56 pm

I love the old DVD box sets. I have to get around to the British Comedies. I watched Benny Hill when I was a young tyke with my grampa.

I can't stand "reality shows." It's like a game show, combined with The Real World (the talking into the camera). And I can't get into the "characters." Stupid sort of real people. Egh..I don't like it.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 7:59 pm

Thank goodness NBC said "yes" to Deal or No Deal here in America.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 8:29 pm

bjmax31 wrote:
What is wrong with tv now days?? You don't see any decent shows anymore (rarely). What happened to shows like diff'rent strokes,the love boat, family ties, the golden girls,and even home improvement,
musn't forget about dear old seinfeld! All you see now days is crap like
Big brother, American idol, and all those money making shows, all I watch now days is the simpsons and re runs of M.A.S.H.

am i starting to show my age or is the world getting worse

i am 24

8O

What happened to the Golden Girls? I actually had some respect for that argument until you referenced the Golden Girls. Furthermore, for your reference, a list of good TV shows and networks(4 of them, in ascending order)
FOX:
Simpsons
Family Guy
G4:
Brainiac
Arrested Development(September 4)
Bansai
FX:
Rescue Me
30 Days
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Adult Swim:
Family Guy
Futurama
Moral Orel
Boondocks(once in a while, if you're in the mood for it)
American Dad(I suppose...)

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 9:02 pm

Setting: An old folks' home in the year 2050.

Grumpy Old Man 1: I can't believe TV nowadays. Back in my day, we use to have quality shows like American Idol, Survivor, and TRL. Now we have crap like Girls Gone Wild: Martian Edition, and the Look at My Breasts Hour.

Grumpy Old Man 2: Yeah, and today's kids don't know anything about music, either. You and I grew up listening to Britney Spears, James Blunt, and 50 Cent. All of whom deserved their spots in the Hall of Fame.

GOM1: Tell me about it. Ms. New Booty was a groundbreaking song that really spoke to a generation.

GOM2: Now the radio stations are filled with awful music like that Yung Skqzzzzy.

GOM1: And don't forget the Stone Aspergians.

Last edited by werbert on 29 Aug 2006, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2006, 9:15 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Oh, so you are talking about reality shows!

I think there are too many soap operas on as well.

I'll tell you something. I think "Deal or No Deal" is one of the best TV shows to ever come on television in quite some time.

yeah i like that one, only decent shows are CSI, crossing jordan, ect
but each to there own i guess :D

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 8:15 am

I think quality TV is about family and if they are able to watch it without being embarrassed in this day and age.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2006, 4:00 am

TV has a wonderful potential for information transmittion. So many usefull things could be known and learned by virtually everyone. Kind of like what the news and documentaries were once about. Now even they are nothing more than sly advertising, propaganda and a daily update on all kinds of sick crimes we didn't need to know about.

But then again the internet exists for all these purposes and more so it doesn't realy matter anymore.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 7:59 am

Yes

It isn't hard to answer Howie Mandel's question in the easiest way possible.

Anyone can say, "Deal!"

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 7:51 pm

I'm a film geek and watch movies all the time; despite this, TV bores and annoys me.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 5:44 pm

I watch Monk, House, Scrubs(kind of a dramedy at times), Lost, 30 days,The Dead Zone, 24, Arrested Development, and some others I've forgotten.
I find dramas easier to watch than the comedys of today. The only sitcoms I really like are Seinfeld, Frasier, and Cheers. I keep finding patterns in all the sitcoms that I cannot ignore. M.A.S.H is not really a sitcom which is what I like about it and it's little laugh track suits me well.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you