Scared of young children as a young child

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm

When I was a little kid, like maybe 3 or 4, I would always get really scared if I was at the playground and another kid would ask me to play. I'm not sure if this was related to experience or what, but I would get really scared. I think I was scared that kid would do something to make me upset or something. I might have also worried that I would get in trouble because I was talking to a stranger.

I also told kids to go home if they came to the playground when I was there (I didn't seem to mind it if they were already there when I got there), but I don't know.

We tended to go to playgrounds that weren't very popular because there weren't as many kids.

Is this common in ASDs? Does any have any experience with this?

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

I don't know if it's ASD related but yeah I can relate. I was scared mostly of adults as a kid, but I felt a deep sense of disconnection towards kids my age. I was never really sure what to do or say to them. Sometimes this made me very nervous, other times I just went along with what was being asked.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

I was never scared of anyone as a kid. I'm more afraid of other people now as I've gotten older. I often wish I was a kid again, because I will let you in on a little secret - I actually feel I get laughed at more now as an adult, by other young adults, than I did when I was a kid, by other kids (or adults). Strange, eh?

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

I wasn't scared of children my age growing up, instead, I was just more comfortable with people older or younger than me because I could relate to them more on some levels and were less likely to judge me because of the way I acted. I'm still comfortable with kids over teenagers and other around my age except for my family.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

I didn't experience this as a small child. If anything, I wanted to be friends with them.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

I was like this, I was terrified of unknown kids coming up to me and being nice, I just couldn't handle it, i think it's because I just didn't know them and I wasn't prepared. It took me a few weeks before I was able to play with another boy when i started school.