Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

91 wrote:
The simple fact is, that you have just assumed I am ignorant, lacking in appreciation for science and contemptuous of empirical data.

now dont go putting words into my mouth. I am sure you have a good appreciation of science, which makes it all the more remarkable that when it comes to religion and supposed godly experiences you appear to be ignoring or at least excusing your your beliefs from science.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

Philologos wrote:

You assert that but you cannot prove that. There are ancient documents of the humanity of whose authors we know nothing. Besides, you have no way of knowing even if I who write this am human. Why, you have not even defined "human" as used in this context.

Homo sapien sapien. Our kind of critter. And we know of no other source of written language than other humans past and present. It would be very exciting to find a communication that makes sense to us that was not produced by other humans but this has not yet happened.

ruveyn

WrongMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2011, 9:06 pm

Philologos wrote:
WrongMan wrote:

How do you perceive God?

If you mean "How does one perceive God?" I cannot answer for anyone else - there are several who have talked about it in different ways. If you mean "How does the scholar known on WP as Philologos perceive God?", see below.

If you mean with what organ, at present I very much doubt there is an organ given the probable duality of Homo sapiens and the probable nature of God.

If you mean what externally observable phenomena coincide with God perception, that varies. A quarter in the grass, words in sound or writing [compare the Augustine incident], a change in heartbeat - whatever.

If you mean what does it feel like to perceive God, it is very similar to seeing a face at the airport gate or a note on the table or a garment on the back of a chair, or hearing a voice, a footstep, or a tune playing and knowing your loved one is there.

If you want to expand to how can you be certain I perceive God - you can't. You CAN be certain YOU perceive God, though.

You choose to be vague with your answer. This often indicates deception and a lack of willingness to be honest with oneself. If you're certain God is in your life, and in the lives of others, then how do you sense Him exactly?

WrongMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

OddFinn wrote:
I don't think it has much to do with fairness. But since you asked: yes I believe that I exist. And because I did not write that question, I have reasons to believe that the question was written by someone, other than myself.

So it's reasonable for us to believe that you exist ... even, if in the long run, we are ultimately wrong.

Quote:
The question whether they wrote according their own desires rather than according to God's will, is not something one would usually ask, when reading a book. Those two options do not necessarily rule each other out. Don't you think that it would be possible that they wrote both according their own desires, and according to God's will?

It may be distantly possible but not reasonably likely. We don't have conclusive evidence that, if God does exist, He is a personal God who is in our lives and who supernaturally inspires a select few to write a bunch of books.

Therefore, it's not reasonable to accept that the Bible could've indeed been inspired by God just as it's not reasonable to accept that there could be an invisible three-headed Cerberus guarding the fig tree in the backyard of my house.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

ruveyn wrote:

we know of no other source of written language than other humans past and present. It would be very exciting to find a communication that makes sense to us that was not produced by other humans but this has not yet happened.

ruveyn

There are communications that do NOT make sense to us [yet, always insert "yet"].

The Phaistos disk, the Lemnian inscritions, and the Harappan writing are probably [if not certainly] human because of imbedded or associated iconography.

But there are indecipherable probable instances of writing or pictography whose humanity is not [yet] verifiable.

WrongMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

91 wrote:
WrongMan wrote:
What if a Muslim told you that he had a significant sense of God and the truth in Islam? Would you just take his word for it?

Not likely. Firstly, Christians and (most) Muslims, have a very different idea of what they mean when they talk about spiritual experience. There are a couple of small sects who claim to have an experience comparable to the Christian experience of the Holy Spirit, but I find it is important to distinguish. Secondly, I stated on the last page that proving something to others and accepting it as truth yourself are not the same question. When you as a question like yours, you are talking about the individul's justification for belief. The question of 'how can someone else know?' the Bible is from God, is a different question.

You've chosen not to give us a proper answer due to it being too "private" to discuss. But then how can we know you're telling the truth - that you really did experience something spiritual, that's made it clear beyond reasonable doubt, that God, as described in the Bible, is in your life?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

Give it up ... they'll never admit to knowing that there is no material evidence to prove the validity of their faith. Even Biblical "Evidence" is faith-based, the root of which exists solely in the mind of the Believer.

Just once, I'd like to read a post addressed to me by my real name, and that says "In His infinite mercy, God has healed your afflictions. Give thanks and go in peace" (or something like that), and to immediately receive complete healing and rejuvenation.

THAT would prove the existence of God, Biblical validity, and prophets in the general population.

Any takers?

<* Insert sound of crickets here *>

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Give it up ... they'll never admit to knowing that there is no material evidence to prove the validity of their faith. Even Biblical "Evidence" is faith-based, the root of which exists solely in the mind of the Believer.

Just once, I'd like to read a post addressed to me by my real name, and that says "In His infinite mercy, God has healed your afflictions. Give thanks and go in peace" (or something like that), and to immediately receive complete healing and rejuvenation.

THAT would prove the existence of God, Biblical validity, and prophets in the general population.

Any takers?

<* Insert sound of crickets here *>

There is no stupidity like that of those who have chosen it.

A. I have said several times - and I think you will find others have said the same - that there is no evidence [yet] available for the materialist. That is part of why much of contemporary science insists on exclusively material evidencence You cannot find what you define as outside your field of vision.

So much for THAT nonsense: "they'll never admit to knowing that there is no material evidence"

B. If you were capable of intellectual honesty AND of serious thought you would nor repeat THIS nonsensical mantra: "Faith...the root of which exists solely in the mind of the Believer."

C. I will pray that you DO receive what you need from God. But rejuvenation is not part of it - this place is temporary and asking for rejuvenation is ridiculous.

D. When and if God does a work in you, YOU wlll have proof. And you will find as the rest of us do that you cannot use that proof to convince those who demand a sign of you - because THIS is also nonsense: "THAT would prove the existence of God, Biblical validity, and prophets in the general population."

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 2:12 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
91 wrote:
The simple fact is, that you have just assumed I am ignorant, lacking in appreciation for science and contemptuous of empirical data.

now dont go putting words into my mouth. I am sure you have a good appreciation of science, which makes it all the more remarkable that when it comes to religion and supposed godly experiences you appear to be ignoring or at least excusing your your beliefs from science.

I am sorry if my previous post was a bit aggressive; I falsely reached the conclusion that you were implying that I deny science. What I do find interesting is the new implication that you are making that I am excusing my beliefs from science. I see no reason to think the science contains within the limits of reason; it cannot function without logical inference to begin with and there are good reasons to think that one needs God in order to ground logic (because if abstract objects exist we have good reasons for thinking that they are not mind independent).

WrongMan wrote:
You've chosen not to give us a proper answer due to it being too "private" to discuss. But then how can we know you're telling the truth - that you really did experience something spiritual, that's made it clear beyond reasonable doubt, that God, as described in the Bible, is in your life?

The question of how I would describe it to you is a separate one. As is the question of what constitutes 'reasonable doubt'. Take the biologist and philosopher David Wood (recent antics aside), he was an atheist who sat down and took stock of the historical argument for the Resurrection of Jesus and from this, became a Christian. While the Resurrection Argument gets on to Christ; there are dozens of arguments for the existence of God. For example, from natural theology; the Kalam and Cosmological Arguement from Contingency. Or there are presuppositional arguments, like the transcendental and moral arguments. Or there is Planting's Ontological argument from modal logic. There are dozens of other arguments that can be easily found in the writings of modern philosophers.

Was not spoken of the soul.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:25 am

WrongMan wrote:
Philologos wrote:
I have gone over this - guess you missed that class? Let us just start with the most basic and obvious. Prove you exis - or prove I exist, I don't care. If you do not exist - if I do not exist - then all the rest of the world, which rests on our existing in order to poerceive it, let alone have this discussion, falls apart. But the assumption that either of us exists, while it is consistent with my impressions, cannot be proven.

If neither you nor I exist, then how are we having this discussion?

Your existence and my existence can be reasonably assumed due to various factors that clearly show we exist, but the Bible being divinely inspired is a different story. There is no clear evidence for such an idea. In fact, the odds seem to be against what many Christians believe concerning the Bible.

What's reasonable about believing that the Bible collectively came into being because a bunch of Jews (and a select few Gentiles) were supernaturally inspired by God to pen down the books counted as the Bible ... despite the fact that the books in the Bible appear to be as if they were written by mere human beings according to their own human goals and desires?

WrongMan wrote:
Of course it does not help skeptics understand. Similar testimony coming from others did not help me - and I will back my skepticism quotient against yours any day, I was and am a keptic from birth.

I have elsewhere outlined the events which brough the pile of evidence to the tipping point - but why? If you are indeed a skeptic, a fellow follower of Thomas styled the Doubter by those who think they disparage him, though it is a supreme compliment, then devidence I have seen will not convince you.

If you keep your eyes and ears open, you will get closer to Truth, and that is what counts.

I was granted the singular favor of meeting several Christians who were very obviously possessed of knowledge and were very real. Not one of them tried to "convince" me, though some given their background "should" have.

My role likewise is not to convince, just to say - one skeptic to another - there is something to be found that can be found.

I don't get it. In what way are you a skeptic?

Due to you believing that the Bible is divinely inspired, I find it hard to believe that you are a skeptic. But then again, it could be because your definition of "skeptic" is different from mine and many others'.

If the bible or Torah had not been divinely inspired, it would not have been written, and/or certainly not in the way we receive it today. It's genius is unrivaled, grant what you will the authors but no one deny's the intelligence of its authors and the concepts they deal with are too great to have been just thought up by some desert people.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:36 am

WrongMan wrote:
91 wrote:
WrongMan wrote:
91 wrote:
As a Catholic, the Bible is not the central component of my faith (though it is certainly very important). I didn't approach the Bible under the assumption is was true and work from there. I agreed that it was mostly true because it was an accurate representation of what I had found to be true through spiritual experience.

Tell us about your spiritual experience. How did it help you find the truth?

That is a very private question. Suffice to say I had a significant sense of God, the holy spirit and the truth of Christianity. Enough to deny my natural skepticism and convince me not to be an atheist anymore.

What if a Muslim told you that he had a significant sense of God and the truth in Islam? Would you just take his word for it?

I would take his word that he believes in the things that he does, and that he has found a path to God.

His ethics and the sum totality of his/her actions would determine whether that path is the right one or not, but that is the point: It is not his religion(theistic, political, social, etc.) that determines the truthiness of anything - it is his actions and the way he behaves towards other. If your religion or lack thereof makes you a better person in the way you act or behave, wherein you care about and try to behave ethical as often as possible, give to charity, help the widowed, orphaned, and homeless, help the victims of spousal abuse, feed the hungry, etc, then go for it. I can find common ground with good people in that way, and though they speak as if Goodness is sourced from and exclusive to them, their religion, and their God(or, for some atheists, the total absence of theistic religion), I can still relate on a more basic level, you know the part that instructs to do the above and try to be ethical every day.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 4:47 am

91 wrote:
I am sorry if my previous post was a bit aggressive; I falsely reached the conclusion that you were implying that I deny science. What I do find interesting is the new implication that you are making that I am excusing my beliefs from science. I see no reason to think the science contains within the limits of reason; it cannot function without logical inference to begin with and there are good reasons to think that one needs God in order to ground logic (because if abstract objects exist we have good reasons for thinking that they are not mind independent).

Well I am presuming (yes I do realise assumptions can be the mother of all f-ups) that you are a Christian, who believes the bible to be the word of god and that this god is interventionist. If you answer yes to any of these then it is my belief that you have a far degree of cognitive dissonance occurring. Of course if you are a deist then this maybe does not apply, although given our rapidly expanding knowledge of our universe and the many proposed theories I feel those in the Deist camp are rapidly running out of time.

With regard to my anti-theism it has nothing to do with any personal prejudices aimed at myself, rather the damage some believers do in the pursuit of keeping the world 'moral' according to their religious beliefs anti: abortion, embryonic stem cell use, homosexuality and womens rights being highly placed in my reasoning

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:51 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Well I am presuming (yes I do realise assumptions can be the mother of all f-ups) that you are a Christian, who believes the bible to be the word of god and that this god is interventionist. If you answer yes to any of these then it is my belief that you have a far degree of cognitive dissonance occurring. Of course if you are a deist then this maybe does not apply, although given our rapidly expanding knowledge of our universe and the many proposed theories I feel those in the Deist camp are rapidly running out of time.

I actually think the evidence runs the other way.

DentArthurDent wrote:
With regard to my anti-theism it has nothing to do with any personal prejudices aimed at myself, rather the damage some believers do in the pursuit of keeping the world 'moral' according to their religious beliefs anti: abortion, embryonic stem cell use, homosexuality and womens rights being highly placed in my reasoning

Well I could list moral relativism, determinism, utopianism and the end of religious liberty as serious worries I have with atheism. These issues however are not central to the truth of the mater nor are they necessary beliefs with regards to the central message of either. The real question relates to the truth of the proposition 'that God exists'. I actually don't even think that the opposite can be reached using purely naturalistic induction (see the creationists thread).

Was not spoken of the soul.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 7:43 am

91 wrote:

Well I could list moral relativism, determinism, utopianism and the end of religious liberty as serious worries I have with atheism. These issues however are not central to the truth of the mater nor are they necessary beliefs with regards to the central message of either. The real question relates to the truth of the proposition 'that God exists'. I actually don't even think that the opposite can be reached using purely naturalistic induction (see the creationists thread).

If the proposition "God exists" cannot be verified by empirical means and its negation cannot be verified by empirical means nor falsified then it can be ignored. Why waste time and energy (both available only in finite amounts) on such unresolvable stuff?

ruveyn

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2011, 8:38 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
If the bible or Torah had not been divinely inspired, it would not have been written, and/or certainly not in the way we receive it today. It's genius is unrivaled, grant what you will the authors but no one deny's the intelligence of its authors and the concepts they deal with are too great to have been just thought up by some desert people.

Around the same time as Genesis and Exodus are supposed to have been written, Plato was writing The Republic, which deals with much greater concepts than the Torah. Most of the Torah is very similar to the stories circulating at the time, and three of the five books were essentially lists of laws. The equivalent Hindhu texts are much more spiritual and were written even earlier.

I'm a liberal Christian. I don't think the Bible is divinely inspired all the way through by any means. I imagine sections of it were created by the Jews to scare their enemies, or adopted by the Jews from enemies who had previously used it to scare their enemies. I think other sections are just-so stories, other sections were people recording the ways they worshipped God (e.g. Psalms), the letters were just attempts to frighten enemies of Christianity in more elaborate ways, and Revelations is straight up rubbish. Doubtless rulers and translators changed passages to suit themselves.

I believe in God because I have experienced the Holy Spirit. I don't expect anybody to take my word for it, and I don't force my religion on people. I choose to focus on Christianity because I think the general nature of the Christian God seems to fit with the God I experienced best, but I draw my teachings from all manner of religions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
If the proposition "God exists" cannot be verified by empirical means and its negation cannot be verified by empirical means nor falsified then it can be ignored. Why waste time and energy (both available only in finite amounts) on such unresolvable stuff?

Translation: If there is no difference between a thing being real and the same thing being not real, then it follows that the thing is not real.

Why waste the time? Trolling is fun!

True, these in-your-face Theists can all hide behind their interpretations of ethics, morality, and righteousness; but trolls are still trolls, no matter how "godly" they may think themselves to be.

A troll is a troll is a troll...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.