How do you pronounce the word Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

How do you pronounce the word Aspergers?
ASpergers 64%  64%  [ 27 ]
ASperjers 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
asPERjers 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 42

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

I'm just wondering how people pronounce the word Aspergers. I used to pronounce it ASperjers, but then when I was diagnosed the psychologist called it ASpergers so I started calling it that. At work (I'm a teacher) I've noticed people calling it ASperjers and asPERjers. Is there a right and wrong way? Note: I have capitalised the stress in the words.

Thanks

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

I used to pronounce it asPERgers, but now pronouce it ASpergers.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

I don't think there's a right and wrong way. The name of the person who did all the research on AS and whom Asperger's Syndrome was named after would have been pronounced as as asPERjers, I think. But lots more people actually say ASpergers, more people tend to pronounce it like this as it's generally easier to pronounce.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

AS-per-ger is correct, which is unfortunate since it always ends up sounding like "ass burger." Some people pronounce is AS-per-jer, which is only slightly less silly. I just say AS instead.

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Jory wrote:
AS-per-ger is correct, which is unfortunate since it always ends up sounding like "ass burger." Some people pronounce is AS-per-jer, which is only slightly less silly. I just say AS instead.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong then. This topic confuses me :P All I remember was that the name of the person was originally pronounced with a "j" sound instead of a "g" sound as in "get". I don't know, probably best not to listen to me :P

The way I pronounce it is AS-per-ger's, though. It's the easiest way even if it does end up sounding like ass-burger :( Saying AS is definitely better!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

ForestRose wrote:
Jory wrote:

Okay, maybe I'm wrong then. This topic confuses me :P All I remember was that the name of the person was originally pronounced with a "j" sound instead of a "g" sound as in "get". I don't know, probably best not to listen to me :P

The way I pronounce it is AS-per-ger's, though. It's the easiest way even if it does end up sounding like ass-burger :( Saying AS is definitely better!

Don't feel bad :) Asperger is an Austrian surname. Austrians speak German. My friend who is Austrian pronounced it with a hard 'g' sound. Most English people I come across say it with a soft 'g' like in French 'garage'. There isn't really a universal right or wrong way to say it though.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

ForestRose wrote:
All I remember was that the name of the person was originally pronounced with a "j" sound instead of a "g" sound as in "get".

He was Austrian, which makes it very unlikely that the G in his name would be pronounced with a J sound. Not that it matters, since it sounds ridiculous no matter how you say it.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 3:05 pm

I don't pronounce it.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

More like "Ah'sper-gers" for me. (Sounds more authentic, don't you think?)

People who announce it as "Ass-burgers" are immature pricks who only pronounce the term that way for the sake of tongue-n-cheek.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

OddFinn wrote:
I don't pronounce it.

Same.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

I pronounce it 'as-per-jer' - frankly even if it is correct I still refuse to pronounce it 'as-per-ger' due to it sounding like 'ass-burger', you tell people that you have AS the last thing you need is for them to call it/you 'ass-burger' while also talking to you like a five-year old :roll:

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

The correct pronunciation of the German name is, as well as I can put it here for English pronunciation, "AHS-bare-gare," which does sound unfortunately like "ASS burger," but I don't think it matters too much anyway. One of my friends calls it my "Asparagus Burgers," which I definitely prefer to the typical "ASS burgers."

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 9:09 am

Hans Asperger's name was pronounced Ahs-pair-ger.

The ah is a little like the a in dark but longer, it's a p that doesn't sound at all like a b (because it's a p! 2 fundamentally different letters), the per is somewhat close to English (p)air and the g is hard as for example in garden.

I talked to people who knew him and that's how they (German-speaking) called him.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

I used to say 'ASperjers' until I heard a few people whom I assume to be a bit more 'in the know' saying 'ASpergers'. Being Scottish, the 'per' part is definitely never pronounced like 'bur', so 'Ass burgers' never comes to mind.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

ForestRose wrote:
I don't think there's a right and wrong way. The name of the person who did all the research...asPERjers...

There IS a right way.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 11:36 am

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=a ... mit=Submit

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...