Potent toothpaste and negative effects of brushing my teeth.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 6:19 pm

I used to brush with a whitening toothpaste because I drink a lot of tea and was getting stains on my teeth. But then my mouth became really sensitive to eating certain foods, like flavored potato chips. I once was a a dance and put a ketchup-flavored chip in my moth and it was like battery acid! I went to my dentist and he said the whitening toothpaste was make my mouth to raw and sensitive, so I switched to a milder, standard brand that just fights cavities and whatever. I went to my dentist in May and the hygienist asked me if I was bleaching my teeth because they were so white. I wasn't. And I find my mouth is still sensitive to certain foods that are really salty, spicy or acidic and I get sores. I don't brush my teeth more than twice a day. After I brush I find the toothpaste dries up my mouth and it's too minty. I want my mouth and teeth to feel clean, but not like I've got freezer burn! I think the toothpaste brands out there are too potent today, and the ads are trying to brainwash us into thinking your teeth aren't clean and healthy unless they're pure white (untrue). I know you can use baking soda on your teeth but I can't stand the taste and it makes my gums all red and raw. Is there a better way?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

How about a more natural brand like Tom's?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

Baking soda will "sand down" your enamel so I wouldn't use it. Gel based toothpastes are usually less potent. You can also try a bubble gum flavored tooth paste, or most prescription, super fluoridated toothpaste is fairly bland as far as toothpastes go.