What are your conflicts with authority figures like?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

I don't care too much for public authorities, but they really do despise me or else I utterly confuse them.

My problem is I mirror their own attitudes back at them. If they act angry, I act angry. If they act condescending, I act condescending. If they act polite, I act polite.

As you can imagine, most public authority figures tend to act condescendingly more than any other way. Their eyes go really wide when I, of course, act even more lofty and condescending than they just did to me. They up the ante, I up the ante equally. Once in a while, under high stress, a gear in my mind will slip and I'll begin repeating every single thing they say, like a parrot. Of course, this drives the person who's already pretty angry at my previous insubordination crazy, because they assume I'm now mocking them on top of putting on a superior air.

But interestingly, if the authority figure is not an ass to start off with, and treats me in a normal and courteous way, in a neutral tone of voice, all of this is easily avoided and I'm the most compliant and cooperative person they've ever seen. So it's really up to the person in authority how an encounter with me will go, they just don't know this.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

Cops have stopped me for not wearing a seat belt. Now, I wear my seat belt always and never get stopped. Best way to avoid cops is follow the laws.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Cops have stopped me for not wearing a seat belt. Now, I wear my seat belt always and never get stopped. Best way to avoid cops is follow the laws.

I follow the laws I agree with....but as an avid pro-cannabis indivual and user of cananbis there are some laws that conflict with that. I am not out hurting anyone so I don't see the issue which is exactly why I think those laws need reformed.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

Alot of these people get in their jobs because they crave power.
Double standards.
Uses their role to get away with abusing others.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

They have to bring out the dictionary to understand half of what I'm saying.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 9:06 pm

Usually I get into conflicts for one of two reasons; either for what I don't say, or for the way I say something. I'm the kind of person who wouldn't say "yes sir" to my commanding officer. In my mind, I'm the commanding officer, and the guy who thinks he's in charge of me is an idiot until proven otherwise.

Yes, I can be quite a narcissist at times. But, as I said, I change my mind about people once they prove themselves as open minded and reasonable people.

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2011, 7:19 am

First cop to give me a ticket, I called him "comrade". Not sure if he got the reference to Soviet thugs or not... :)

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:21 am

Count me in on all of the above.

roccoslife -
In retail/consumer type job environments, there is often a lot of planning going into the scheduling 9even though it's often poorly done in the end) and the bosses are proud of their efforts to schedule. When someone is late, they immediately freak out because their world is not as they planned it, and they start wondering if they have to find a replacement for the missing worker - they don't know you are still on the way, and will never accept to assume that you are.

In more relaxed environments (where you are not immediately serving the public or filling a position on a production line) they may have a deadline or business meeting scheduled or planned - a "pop-quiz" type meeting about something that came up overnight - and they got there early enough to decide to do this meeting or deadline today. If you are late, the meeting is screwed. If you are late, they don't know if you are coming, and start to freak out that the lesser numbers will be able to meet their deadline...

NTs don't like unpredictability any more than we do.
Being on time is a sign of respecting their need for predictability.

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

Oh god I have conflicts of any time, seriously can't cope.

I just act frightened and polite, which really isn't an act. o.o

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

Frankly, (who is Frank anyway?), I don't believe Aspies are any different when it comes to authority figures than anybody else is, at least in one respect:

When they're there to help us out, we love 'em. When we happen to be their focus on interest (suspect), we don't like it one bit.

The difference with most Aspies, I think, is in that we're suspicious of everybody's motivations no matter what the situation is. That probably magnifies in the presence of authority when the authority is treating us or our actions as suspect. How we react though, is as different from each other as it is different from NT's in general. I think in moments of feeling suspected of something untoward, we tend to either go on the defensive, or offensive. Either way I think is motivated by the same sense of distrust in society in general, and the feeling that society and life in general is just plain unfair, especially toward us.

The general sense the the world as a whole is pretty much ignorant about us all doesn't help either, even though I also think that is more the reality than it is just our own sense of things.

The only "authority" I really hate is when it is held by personality types that are in it for all the wrong reasons. They aren't that hard to identify. They're the ones who come at you full bore with both barrels blazing right off the bat. The one's whose sole goal right from the get-go, without ever having met me before, or having any clue what kind of person I am, have obviously drawn some sort of conclusion about me, and feel the need to display their authoritative position with no provocation.

That type gets NO respect from me. Not one ounce.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

My main problem with authority is that I can't remember to recognize it. In my mind, there's no instinctive concept of authority, so I have to consciously remind myself that so-and-so is an authority figure. "I have to remind myself" is usually equivalent to "I will forget".