a long distance relationship

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Bosun117
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

So I first met this girl back in my freshman year of college, and liked her right away. We became good friends over the course
of winter 2010. After that term, she and I talked less and, late in my freshman year, left the school. I saw her again right
before embarking on Sea Term during this past winter. Since then, I have been in touch with her via Facebook and the occasional
text message on the cell phone, but truth be told, I'm not as close to her (relationship-wise) as I'd like to be. I'll admit
that I do have a love interest for this girl, and would like to turn it into something more.

So how can I maintain this long-distance friendship better? And, if possible, turn it into a long-distance relationship?

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 3:19 am

Make conversation online, really... I'm not sure, I have quite a few long-distance friendships.
Send links, play games, ask how she's doing over there, things like that I guess.

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

With today's technology, there are many good forms of communication (IM, texting, phone, Facebook, email, etc..). Skype provides free calling. You can even video chat as well. Have open, frequent communication. If you want the relationship to blossom from a friendship into something more, simply ask when you feel the time is right.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:41 am

My favorite things to do are send emails or snail mail. Both can be saved, and you can take time to think about what you want to say. I would also take advantage of Skype's video calling. I'm home from college over the summer and my significant other and I do most of our talking via text (letters, skype chat, etc). I actually feel quite close to her as we both communicate well through written words.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:50 am

Use e-mail, IM (Skype is the best), or a phone call to communicate. And visit in person as much as you can until the two of you are in a situation where you can live in the same place.

They aren't my first choice, but if I don't connect with people in my area, then I gotta do what I gotta do.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Rasta
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2011, 3:43 am

I am trying to do long term as well, so I will appreciate comments of advice for this person.

I also use SKYPE it's the best tool! I hate talking on instant messages, it's so limited and feels kinda boring.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 10:52 am

Whie you're skyping, emailing, facebooking and whatnot why don't you arrange to meet IRL?