The Relation of Aspergers and Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Family:
I and/or my spouse has/is suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome and we have a child/children with Asperger's 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I and/or my spouse has/is suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome and we have a child/children with Asperger's 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I and/or my spouse is/is suspected of being HFA/PDD-NOS and we have a child/children with Asperger's 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I and/or my spouse is/is suspected of being HFA/PDD-NOS and we have a child/children with Asperger's 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I and/or my spouse has/is suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome and we have a child/children with Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I and/or my spouse has/is suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome and we have a child/children with Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I and/or my spouse is/is suspected of being HFA/PDD-NOS and we have a child/children with Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I and/or my spouse is/is suspected of being HFA/PDD-NOS and we have a child/children with Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I and/or my spouse has/is suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome and we have a mix of Spectrum children with varying diagnoses 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I and/or my spouse has/is suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome and we have a mix of Spectrum children with varying diagnoses 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I and/or my spouse is/is suspected of being HFA/PDD-NOS and we have a mix of Spectrum children with varying diagnoses 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I and/or my spouse is/is suspected of being HFA/PDD-NOS and we have a mix of Spectrum children with varying diagnoses 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Neither I nor my spouse have/are suspected of having an ASD but we do have at least one Spectrum child 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Neither I nor my spouse have/are suspected of having an ASD but we do have at least one Spectrum child 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Either I or my spouse have an ASD but we don't have any Spectrum children (but do have children) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Either I or my spouse have an ASD but we don't have any Spectrum children (but do have children) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 8:25 pm

This is a poll for those aspie/autie parents or spouses-of who have an ASD child or children. I'd appreciate it if you could do the poll and if you could be more specific in a post below (because the poll doesn't touch on the exact combination in your particular family) I'd really appreciate it. :)

Oh, and I forgot to ask: Since this is sort of a US poll, if any of your kids had a language delay, no matter how slight, but were still diagnosed as AS, could you please choose the HFA option? Functionally the two diagnoses don't mean too much different once language is gained other than better services with one over the other. But for the sake of precision, I'd appreciate it if you could choose HFA.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

adhocisadirtyword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2006, 9:50 pm

I have AS, my daughter's father is NT, and my daughter is NT.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 9:51 pm

My son has HFA and my daughter doesn't have a diagnosis on the spectrum, however she had a significant speech delay as a young child and was labeled MR. She has microcephaly which may or may not have had anything to do with the speech delay. She also has dyscalculia - although her speech is fine now. Another mom whose son has Fragile X mentioned that some families with that have similar patterns with the boys and the girls. We hadn't looked into that but I thought it was interesting that there may be a connection.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 10:18 pm

Has your daughter ever had the chromosomal karyotyping done? Or does it matter much to you all whether she'd test positive with Fragile X or not?

Does she still have the MR diagnosis or has she dropped that as well?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

OurChris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2006, 11:42 pm

Well I cannot say 90% or more that Steve or I have AS but it seems that quite a few of the traits we have had or still have. Maybe it is just that we had enough traits that when we combined DNA that we got Chris. Chris was diagnosed Aspergers through the school district almost 2 years ago, also ADHD (inattention). The regional center has dubbed him Autistic (but they are not able to provide services for AS). He had a mild language delay and large gross motor delays.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 11:56 pm

Hmmm... I forgot a mixed marriage of an HFAer/PDD-NOSer to an Aspie... doh.

Well, if you and your spouse are HFA and AS, please just post it.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:43 am

Sophist wrote:
Has your daughter ever had the chromosomal karyotyping done? Or does it matter much to you all whether she'd test positive with Fragile X or not?

Does she still have the MR diagnosis or has she dropped that as well?

When she was younger the neuro didn't seem to feel that it was anything genetic (no physical characteristics) so we didn't have any testing done. Someone only recently mentioned to me about the Fragile X and they gave me some websites to do research on so I am sort of looking at that. As far as if she would still be considered MR - I didn't really care for that label and I think she certainly has progressed enough for that not to be accurate now. She does have definite issues however with memory and dyscalculia but I don't know in technical terms if that is something that would be considered a part of or separate from MR.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 6:14 am

i'm NT, hubby is aspie, son is aspie, waiting on daughter's official dx~think it will be PDD-NOS

jman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 9:11 pm

I was diagnosed with PDD NOS when I was younger but was re diagnosed with aspergers by a psychologist two years ago. The reason I got the PDD NOS dx was because I spolke late and had alot of autisitc symptoms

bigbear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2006, 11:57 am

The more I learn about AS, the more I think I have it. I have adapted with most things, so I dont think I will go for a diagnoses. However it is interesting and explains a lot through my childhood. My son was just diagnosed march of 06' at 11 yrs old.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 3:35 pm

My husband is either HFA or AS (late speaker, visual thinker, massive school problems until high school), I'm probably AS (no developmental delays but clumsy and socially awkward). Our son is autistic, labelled high functioning.