Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:15 am

l05tin5pac3 wrote:
... Especially if this someone else is a teenager....

If he is a teenager then alcohol is illegal for him. Since he brought up the topic, I was assuming he is 21 or over. The assumption of him being over 21 was the basis on which I gave my advice.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

Roman wrote:
l05tin5pac3 wrote:
... Especially if this someone else is a teenager....

If he is a teenager then alcohol is illegal for him. Since he brought up the topic, I was assuming he is 21 or over. The assumption of him being over 21 was the basis on which I gave my advice.

Where I live, the legal age for buying wine, beer or cider with a meal in a licensed premises (pub or restaurant) is 16.
Where I live, the legal age for buying alcohol in a shop is 18.

You may be challenged to prove your age if you look under 21, however if you can prove it, you may certainly buy alcohol, legally, as a teenager.

In reality, these ages mean nothing as if younger teenagers want to drink alcohol they will find a way to get it. As is very often the case.

Oh and the legal age for consumption of alcohol (not buying it) is 5 - i.e. parents could give children a glass of wine with a meal as young as age 5....

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

I'm 17.

Quote:
Where I live, the legal age for buying wine, beer or cider with a meal in a licensed premises (pub or restaurant) is 16.
I think that's the way it is here as well.

Well thank you so much for all those posts. They were very helpful. I'll find a way around it.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

Zexion wrote:
I'm 17.

Quote:
I think that's the way it is here as well.

Well thank you so much for all those posts. They were very helpful. I'll find a way around it.

I hope it goes well for you.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Go to your first-aid kit and sniff the wipes. The go to the brandy and sniff that. "Why are people drinking this?! ! lol."

Although there are religous reasons for me, I imagine without such moral guidelines, that I would have had a sensory issue against alchohol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

Roman wrote:
YellowBanana wrote:
I never really understood why people did.

Actually there is a study that shows that "alcohol making people happy" is just a placebo. What they did was this: they split people into two groups, and each group got alcohol enjected by a needle. Now, one group was told that it was alcohol while the other was told it was "a new medication they are testing out". The group that was told it was alcohol was really happy while drunk, claiming how it is "even better than getting it by mouth", and so forth. On the other hand, the group that was told it was a "new medication" did not report any "happy" feelings; instead, they were complaining how their muscles feel week, how they are disoriented, and so forth.

I would have liked to participate in that study :twisted:

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

I used to drink alcohol before however i don't drink alcohol at the moment because i am on my medication also my doctor advised me not to mix alcohol with my medication at present.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

I don't!

I also don't do drugs, drink tea or coffee, and I don't eat meat/fish/or eggs.

The underlined part is because of my religion, and the rest is all my choice

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 Jul 2011, 10:32 pm

I cant drink because I have life threatening seizures if I do, also I dont like the taste of alcohol...it burns my tongue more than overly minty toothpaste does.
The thought of drinking rotted food grosses me out completely
I like being in full control of what mind I do have; anything that lessens this control makes me very nervious
I hate what alcoholism does to families that lasts for generations.
There is a special brand of dysfuction that comes from the alcoholic family dynamic that is much more toxic than alcohol's effect on the body....nobody in such a family can escape it.
so I really dont like alcohol, but when I am with friends I drink a non alcoholic drink and tell them that ya'll can drink...I will record the damage. I am usually the one who tells them the next day what they did when they were drunk...and some of what they didn't do :wink:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 11:57 pm

I don't, not only because it's illegal for my age, but I just don't want to. I could easily go downstairs and sneak a beer right now and nobody would ever know, but I'm not going to do that. I have no interest in getting myself wasted. I've been around drunk people before, and I have had many opportunities to have a drink myself, but I don't care if I don't have a drink at all. I have absolutely no desire to consume alcoholic beverages.

I just hate it when my mom says things like "I'm not old enough to drink." That's bullcrap. It's things like that that make me want to have a drink just to prove a point. My decision not to drink is mine, not hers.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

16 Jul 2011, 2:25 am

SammichEater wrote:
I don't, not only because it's illegal for my age, but I just don't want to. I could easily go downstairs and sneak a beer right now and nobody would ever know, but I'm not going to do that. I have no interest in getting myself wasted. I've been around drunk people before, and I have had many opportunities to have a drink myself, but I don't care if I don't have a drink at all. I have absolutely no desire to consume alcoholic beverages.

I just hate it when my mom says things like "I'm not old enough to drink." That's bullcrap. It's things like that that make me want to have a drink just to prove a point. My decision not to drink is mine, not hers.

techically the only person too young to consume alcohol is an infant who cant open a container of alcohol and drink it. But you are under the legal drinking age, that doesn't mean you cant do it.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

I never had the desire to drink to GET DRUNK/WASTED. I actually wanted to have my first taste of alcohol after turning 21. However, when I had a brain seizure, my doctor instructed me to abstain from alcohol and avoid mixing my anti-seizure medication with alcohol. I currently don't feel the urge to drink alcohol.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

but I don't drink alcohol and don't plan to ever do so.

So my question is, what is the best thing I can do...? Isn't that gonna be strange when I'm the only one who isn't drinking alcohol?[/quote]

Don't change your standards. Whatever you do, keep your standards of not drinking.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 7:11 pm

Urm.

Why can't you just order a Coke?

Or a virgin mixed drink?

Or not get anything at all if you'd prefer to just enjoy her conversation?

to his Interest."

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 7:30 pm

Zexion wrote:
I met a girl from my class at the shops the other day and we said a quick hello to each other. She said I should call her some time during the summer holidays so we can go out for a drink somewhere. I suppose she wants to bring one or two of her friends as well.

The thing is I really want to go out with her (I don't have a crush on her, I just want to stay in touch with her) but I don't drink alcohol and don't plan to ever do so.

So my question is, what is the best thing I can do...? Isn't that gonna be strange when I'm the only one who isn't drinking alcohol?

Just go out with her, order a non-alcoholic drink, and explain your reasons if asked. It won't be a huge deal.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

Say your going to be the DD lol.

Its okay not to order anything.