Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Laz wrote:
Are you struggling for meaning at this moment in time?

Laz, I think most days bring a struggle for meaning. Unless one is a virus I guess.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Henbane wrote:
Laz wrote:
Are you struggling for meaning at this moment in time?

Laz, I think most days bring a struggle for meaning. Unless one is a virus I guess.

However it's somewhat debatable whether a virus is actually alive. Also unlike a virus you are self aware, conciouss and sentient.

In order to have meaning don't you have to require purpose and focus? Maybe if those are missing your lack of meaning is a feeling originating from an amber light from your inner self not a concluding fundamental flaw of your entire being?

Just a thought

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

I think I did this thread wrong.

It wasn't meant to be a thread about how we all should live or be or anything, but about how we all find meaning as individuals. Because I think that Aspies can be outside of 'normal' society, and therefore that gives us a unique perspective and opportunity to place our priorities in a different direction to others. So I was really asking what brings your life individual meaning.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

I think a lot of aspies actually struggle in some aspects of their lives to actually realise just how out of kilter they are from the norm. Because those aspects of themselvese are hidden to observation in general social situations.

If you arn't able to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is the mainstream "normality" then you never really have a proper base for comparison.

I think it would require a really high degree of self awareness and actualisation to make the kind of observation your seeking. Fascinating as it would be I don't think that many people have that kind of self awareness to give such a grand overview such as meaning in relation to the mainstream.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

Laz wrote:
I think a lot of aspies actually struggle in some aspects of their lives to actually realise just how out of kilter they are from the norm. Because those aspects of themselvese are hidden to observation in general social situations.

If you arn't able to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is the mainstream "normality" then you never really have a proper base for comparison.

I think it would require a really high degree of self awareness and actualisation to make the kind of observation your seeking. Fascinating as it would be I don't think that many people have that kind of self awareness to give such a grand overview such as meaning in relation to the mainstream.

Ok. I can see what you mean here.

I suppose I had in mind that some people would say..

God

And others would say

Watching the sunset and sunrise, and writing poetry.

And some might say

Video games and making model aircraft

And others might say

My family and dogs

etc

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

One problem, I think, is us aspies interpreting it literally. :lol:

My initial response was that its only point was whatever point we give it. But the point we give it is what you're looking for to begin with. But... I still don't know how to answer it. I shall think upon it some more when my mind isn't cluttered up with code.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

There is no natural meaning. It's what you want it to be.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

The purpose of my life is to be a good person, to love the people around me and to make myself happy. I get to enjoy the beauty of the world around me. One day, all humans who are conceived will be able to enjoy this pleasure. :)

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

I'm a big fan of the virus thing. I'm ok with that though. Just because it makes people feel good to think it doesn't mean that humans have to be lords and masters of the universe or angles coming down to recreate the world.

If I'm a virus I'll be the best damn virus I can be.

And that is the point of life.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 1:05 am

Life is what you make out of it. You fill the empty slate with whatever you want to and aren't obligated to do what everybody else thinks or teaches you what you should do with it.

Since you are required to take in a certain amount of energy in terms of food and resources, maybe you should strive to put something out there with that energy that makes the world a more interesting place to belong- a transmutation of the energy into something that holds meaning long after you've dispersed. The whole infectious plague upon the universe is rather nonsensical, whiny tripe in my opinion.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Jul 2011, 1:40 am

ART....life is worth living when I create.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 2:37 am

There is no point to life. We exist in a small speck of dirt in a unbelievably vast universe and what you do in this world will not matter to the universe at all. Take that however you please, but I have used that knowledge to enjoy my life. After all, since nothing I do matters, I don't get stressed about what happens day to day.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:04 am

Most people would probably say that the point of life is to have fun.

That is incorrect. The point of life is to reproduce, to create more life.

But I do not think that is my purpose in life. There are enough humans on Earth right now. My mission in life is to further the technological advancement of humanity.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 5:57 am

I guess I've always got a lot out learning to understand things. I like trying to make things better. Heal things. I like trying to make my life as satisfying as possible, and helping other people do the same. In some way, I'm looking for efficiency in living. I also like to express my individuality and be creative.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 6:22 am

... to beat the entropy as much as I can ...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 6:25 am

Booyakasha wrote:
... to beat the entropy as much as I can ...

Poor entropy