Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

I went to this thing that I was invited to today and I was like wondering to myself after not being in that environment for a long time, it felt really strange to me in like many ways because I'm just so not used to it as much as I used to but that isn't a story that I wanted to go on and on about.

What I really wanted to go on about is the fact that, this guy that I knew who was non verbal and couldn't speak a single word came up on stage and when he came up to the microphone, the first initial thing that I thought was that he was going to make noises on the microphone but when I heard him sing, the words came right out of his mouth and this is someone who was told by the doctors on the day he was diagnosed with severe autism that he would never be able to speak, not even a single word but my goodness that seems to have all turned around and could speak so many words, its unbelievable. Has it taken his just 18 to 19 years to be able to speak like that?

For some reason, it shocked me and the first thing that I thought was, wow he made a huge breakthrough and looks like someone who never gives up trying and I can imagine the amount of stress, but I know this amount of stress since I've been through something similar at a young age, I couldn't even speak until I was about 3 and a half years old.

I guess things do turn around for the best for people after all if you never give up trying and makes me realise that anything is possible when you don't give up on the things you desire most.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

Singing is different from speaking. Sometimes when people have strokes and can't speak, they can still sing. Maybe this is like that--it's easier for him to sing than speak. If it takes him a ridiculous amount of effort to generate speech, it would make sense that he doesn't usually talk. Also, singing means generating sounds that are pre-made for you, because you're following the song; you don't have to make them up on the spot, so that it is much easier. It could even be that he can't talk most of the time, but can sing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

That's a great story. It's amazing how that guy has a vast vocabulary after not speaking for most of his life. Kudos to him! :D 8)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

Callista has a point. It's a great story, but can he actually speak now?

Singing is used a lot as therapy for people with speech problems. Ever heard of Mel Tillis? He was a country singer with a major stuttering problem, yet he could sing perfectly.

He even went through hypnosis to help him stop stuttering. I saw him many years ago on the Mike Douglas show. After singing a song or two, he sat down for an interview, stuttering like mad. Then, he demonstrated how hypnosis was helping him. His doctor was there with him, and talked him into a relaxed state, then started asking him questions to which he gave answers with no stuttering whatsoever.

Then the doctor asked him how many kids he had, and he answered, "F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-FOUR!"

One of the funniest moments ever.

He also told a story about doing a scene for one of Burt Reynold's movies. He only had a couple of lines. He played the owner of a fair grounds. His lines were short and sweet.

He spent an entire day practicing the lines to get them perfect. The cameras rolled, and his lines were up.

"Sir, I am the owner of this fairground, and I've just got one thing to say. WE'RE CLOSED!"

Burt yells "CUT!" and angrily yells at Tillis, "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! !"

Mel asked, "W-w-w-what's the m-m-m-m-matter?"

Burt: "What did you do? Practice your lines? You were supposed to stutter! Why do you think I hired you for the part?! You ruined my shot!"

Well, they shot it again and edited it back in with Mel stuttering this time. Another classic cinema moment.

Not really on topic, I know, but a pretty funny story anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXgGDLRzm4[/youtube]

Anyway, it does kind of make me wonder whether the guy can speak now too. Not that I mean to minimize his talent. It's great that he can sing, but the ability to sing well doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with speaking well.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:45 pm

Ironic cuz when I was in 8th grade and had a reputation for being a quiet girl and at the end of the year one of my Catholic Schools held a show similar to one in Christmas called "Spring Fling" which was basically a concert where the whole class get together to sing songs for an audience (all the songs were from the 50s and 60s). This was not sheet music. This was basically having a tape played and following the songs being sung. Anyway in the middle of one rehearsal, during break, I was caught by a friend singing to myself and she was like "OMG!" and brought this to a lot of other classmates' attention. It was already decided at that point that I should have a solo in the show. But instead I would arrange to three friends who volunteered to join me in singing the song. It was the Mo-Town song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" which was a catchy song I remembered from playing in the credits at the end of Sister Act 2. Another thing I remembered was I had to go get the full lyrics for this song and made a change that screwed it up. I thought the line was "Cause you are my girl" (which I changed to 'guy' since a girl was singing the line) when it was really "Cause you are my goal".

So I tried to enjoy the attention I was getting but it was a bit annoying that every five minutes someone was asking me to sing for them because they thought it was the greatest breakthrough in the world. Again, this was prior to any knowledge of my having AS so I couldn't understand why they found my singing so fascinating because the truth was I was the only person in the entire 8th grade that actually enjoyed singing and was looking forward to singing in the Spring Fling. Everyone else treated it like a joke and some of the popular boys would sing intentionally badly just to irritate the teacher. And I was already one of the few in my class who volunteered to be a cantor during Friday masses on occasion anyway. So yeah. This made no sense to me. Anyway all of this asking me to sing and stuff went on for the remainder of the year and they gave me this false impression that they thought I was a brilliant singer. It inspired me to do choir in high school where reality was thrown in my face regarding my actual singing ability in a school with a nationally recognized show choir. Now I see that they weren't fascinated with my singing...they were fascinated at the fact that I was actually expressing myself in some form (as I was in complete denial as to how quiet and antisocial I was really was back then).

Fast-forward to today. I now hate the song "Aint No Mountain High Enough" with a passion because of the reminder that came with it how everyone treated me when I was caught singing this song. I look back on it now feeling embarrassed and humiliated as if I was being treated like a dog trained to sing on command. I have a hard time whenever I hear the song on TV and in film or in a store and have to repress myself. I feel like Stewie and Brian in regards to "The Bird" and want to destroy every single copy of the song in existence if it gets rid of the reminder of how stupidly gullible I was prior to my AS diagnosis. The end.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
II feel like Stewie and Brian in regards to "The Bird" and want to destroy every single copy of the song in existence.

LOL I love that episode of family guy! That was funny! But I`m sorry about what happened to u. People can be so mean!

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

This reminds me of James from American Idol! I wanted him to win and was so upset when he got voted off! But he was an excellent rocker! I was wondering how he did that with AS and he also had tourettes too. My dad said that singing comes from a different part of the brain than speech does and it`s easier for them to sing rather than sometimes talk. It makes sense now.