Part-time public schooling, part-time home schooling.....

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

angelrbrtsn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2006, 11:43 am

Well, tomorrow my son starts going back to school part-time. This year it will be for the special classes (PE, Art, Music) as well as library and Math. I picked the classes that I thought he could handle the best and easiest. The special classes because it is hard to do those at home with any consistency and Math because he excels at it and it will be good for him to feel smarter than the kids in class in at least one subject. I am hoping it will build his self-esteem, to be the only kid in class that knows the answer!
How do people feel about this, any thoughts on its' possibility of success? I am just trying to make him the best he can be and give him the best chance at success, whatever that is for him....

bigbear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2006, 12:48 pm

I think thats awesome that you can do both. I wish I could home school my son, I work :( Im trying my hardest to get my son out of P.E. He hates sports and he does much better in classes where its more structured.

HDIGhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2006, 12:50 pm

angelrbrtsn wrote:
Well, tomorrow my son starts going back to school part-time. This year it will be for the special classes (PE, Art, Music) as well as library and Math. I picked the classes that I thought he could handle the best and easiest. The special classes because it is hard to do those at home with any consistency and Math because he excels at it and it will be good for him to feel smarter than the kids in class in at least one subject. I am hoping it will build his self-esteem, to be the only kid in class that knows the answer!
How do people feel about this, any thoughts on its' possibility of success? I am just trying to make him the best he can be and give him the best chance at success, whatever that is for him....

I do think this combination of homeschooling and public schooling is fantastic especially as you already know his strengths.

To really monitor his daily progress etc. keep a daily journal together.

Best regards.

Last edited by HDIGhere on 30 Aug 2006, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:54 pm

I wish I could do something like this, but my school district is uncooperative, overburdened, and indifferent.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2006, 6:37 am

bigbear wrote:
I think thats awesome that you can do both. I wish I could home school my son, I work :( Im trying my hardest to get my son out of P.E. He hates sports and he does much better in classes where its more structured.

i thought I was the only one. my son hates PE.. its mass confusion and the gym teacher is useless. totally.. he picks his favorites and by passes the kids like my son. so even the teachers are just as bad as the kids. he is not good at sports and he has a huge problem following and understanding directions that PE classes give you.. most classes give you directions but the PE classes makes you follow directions and use physically activity at the same time. so he can not walk and chew gum as they say.. it makes him feel like a further outcast..

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2006, 6:38 am

en_una_isla wrote:
I wish I could do something like this, but my school district is uncooperative, overburdened, and indifferent.

sounds like ours.. but home school is looking very good to us being that the public schools has failed him...

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 10:16 am

our school is actually pushing this idea on us. We're really torn between it too. They seem to be doing it because they don't want to do their entire job the whole day.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 10:16 am

our school is actually pushing this idea on us. We're really torn between it too. They seem to be doing it because they don't want to do their entire job the whole day.

angelrbrtsn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2006, 11:32 am

My son started the part time school today and went to Math class from 8 to 9 this morning. I was waiting in the hall to take him home after when he walked out and toward me with the biggest grin on his face! He had a great time and thought the Math there was soooo easy compared to what I have him doing! So, it is good so far...

HDIGhere

31 Aug 2006, 1:10 pm

KimJ wrote:

From my experience when you realize a school or firm does not want to do their job part/entire day and you have somewhere to take your child, run away quickly.

Unwillingness does not have a time frame if it is there and eventually the child pays negatively.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 11:10 pm

ryansjoy wrote:
bigbear wrote:

i thought I was the only one. my son hates PE.. its mass confusion and the gym teacher is useless. totally.. he picks his favorites and by passes the kids like my son. so even the teachers are just as bad as the kids. he is not good at sports and he has a huge problem following and understanding directions that PE classes give you.. most classes give you directions but the PE classes makes you follow directions and use physically activity at the same time. so he can not walk and chew gum as they say.. it makes him feel like a further outcast..

I was excused from gym class when I was in high school because of the anxiety so it is a very real concern for alot of kids. Even if you have a very structured program there is little to accomodate the processing and sensory issues and motor clumsiness. Being around a bunch of screaming kids and trying to remember all the rules can be overwhelming.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 1:11 pm

Every child is different so maybe it will be something that works for you. I did it for a year. Like KimJ mentioned, the school pushed it on us and it came down to either pulling him completely because they felt he had too many issues, or let him attend half day. So we did the half day and it was not ideal at all. It didn't help that the school still called every time he struggled and would not hold up to their end of the bargain.

This year, I've put my foot down. He's entitled to an education. He prefers it to be at school, not at home. They need to get their act together and provide for him so that's the plan.

I am actually very pro-homeschooling. My mother homeschooled my sister and I have seen the benefits of dedication so I wish you all the best. It just didn't work for us.