You know the old line:

Ma'am, do you mind if I smoke?

Honey, I don't care if you burn.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 9:18 pm

I don't smoke.
However, I could care less who else does or does not because it’s their choice and their health risk.
At work smokers have to go outside to smoke.
That itself wasn’t good enough so then the smokers could only use one area outside the building so the non-smokers wouldn’t be exposed to second hand smoke in the few seconds it took from them to pass by a smoker or two in and open air environment.
Now they complain that the smokers come in from that one smoke area with the cigarette smoke odor on their clothes.
It’s not about health it’s about imposing one’s will on others!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

Smokers are very stinky people.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

Raptor wrote:

Imposing will works two ways.

Nonsmoker imposes will on others - smoke anywhere but around me.

Smoker imposes will on others - if my smoking bothers you you can leave

Introvert imposes will on others - I need the office door shut while I am working on the budget

Extrovert imposes will on others - if the office is staffed the door needs to be open for visitors to drop in.

Music lover imposes will on others - I really love to listen to Golden Oldies and Rush Limbaugh while we work.

Easily distracted person imposes will on others - If you have to listen to thatr garbage use headphones so a person can work.

AND so forth.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 9:51 pm

Forgot to mention I have seen all of those and more in real life.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

Philologos wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Imposing will works two ways.

Nonsmoker imposes will on others - smoke anywhere but around me.

Smoker imposes will on others - if my smoking bothers you you can leave

Introvert imposes will on others - I need the office door shut while I am working on the budget

Extrovert imposes will on others - if the office is staffed the door needs to be open for visitors to drop in.

Music lover imposes will on others - I really love to listen to Golden Oldies and Rush Limbaugh while we work.

Easily distracted person imposes will on others - If you have to listen to thatr garbage use headphones so a person can work.

AND so forth.

Smoking OUTSIDE isn't imposing anything on anyone unless they have a victim complex or are a control freak.

NOBS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2011, 10:24 pm

Raptor wrote:

Smoking OUTSIDE isn't imposing anything on anyone unless they have a victim complex or are a control freak.

In Fairbanks, it routinely drops to -50F in the winter, and, yes I have to go outside to smoke. I'm not sure if I have a victim complex, or if I'm a control freak, but it sure seems imposing.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm

Raptor wrote:

I did not say that it was. But since you insist:

Herself is sensitive to smells and if too close [as in a shared office area] too long to someone wearing enough perfume developes physical symptoms.

The breath and garments of an active smoker put measurable amounts of aromatic chemicals iunto the atmosphere.

The breath and garments of an active imbiber of alcohol put measurable amounts of aromatic chemicals iunto the atmosphere.

As do the perspiration and other effluvia from heavily exercising coworkers and those who eat certain foods or have certain conditions.

These CAN cause not only mental discomfort but physical symptoms for the coworkers even if they are not nutters or unreasonable.

If I sit in the next cubicle to you, not having bathed for three weeks in midsummer and burping after my high-garlic content lunch, will you be a control freak or embrace my individuality? Even if I do not cause you PHYSICAL discomfort.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

People should have the freedom to choose whether they poison themselves or not. I saw about a half a year of my dad dying from lung cancer though and that settled it for me, but if people want to quite potentially subject themselves to a slow and painful death let it be on their own hands. People ought to really meet some people dying from lung cancer or suffering from COPD or other diseases caused by smoking before they get themselves addicted though.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:48 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
People should have the freedom to choose whether they poison themselves or not. I saw about a half a year of my dad dying from lung cancer though and that settled it for me, but if people want to quite potentially subject themselves to a slow and painful death let it be on their own hands. People ought to really meet some people dying from lung cancer or suffering from COPD or other diseases caused by smoking before they get themselves addicted though.

And my best friend from ever who - LONG chain smoker - died with brain tumor.

AND the German with emphysema chain smoking with the maybe eight square inches of useful lung he had left.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 11:09 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

They should have the freedom to choose, but others shouldn't have to pay for their cancer care through health insurance premiums and taxes.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm

I don't give a damn what people do behind the doors of their own houses.

But I won't stop antagonizing smokers until they are required to smoke either within their own house which they own rather than rent or within a personal size tent with a built in filtration system.

Because you have no right to pollute my life with your addiction.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

pandabear wrote:
Smokers are very stinky people.

They also suck butts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 11:33 pm

Raptor wrote:

Unless, of course, the smokers stand right outside the door and their smoke blows in to a designated non-smoking area.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 11:38 pm

Raptor wrote:
I don't smoke.
However, I could care less who else does or does not because it’s their choice and their health risk.
At work smokers have to go outside to smoke.
That itself wasn’t good enough so then the smokers could only use one area outside the building so the non-smokers wouldn’t be exposed to second hand smoke in the few seconds it took from them to pass by a smoker or two in and open air environment.
Now they complain that the smokers come in from that one smoke area with the cigarette smoke odor on their clothes.
Just because people are now complaining about odor, it doesn't mean the stupid smokers should be allowed to risk everyone else's health by smoking inside.

And yes, people complain about the odor because it is disgusting odor. You can't drink at work and at least alcohol doesn't intoxicate people that are not drinking it. Nobody is entitled to smoke in areas they don't own. If most of the people in a company would rather not smell stinky smokers then the company should handle that issue to make workers productive, healthy and happy and they can certainly do it, as it is their property and all.

If they wanted a self-destructive habit so much, they should consider choking. At least it is free, other people don't choke when you do it and it doesn't make you stink. Don't get me wrong, choking is a very stupid thing to do, but even that ultra stupid thing is about 400% a smarter choice than cigarrettes.