Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2011, 1:08 pm

I have up until recently thought that I was bullied -- now though I realise that poking fun at people is totally 'normal behaviour'. I never understood this and still get very prickly feelings when being teased. I do notice now that when others (NT's I'm guessing) are teased they just over-ride it! You see the odd prickle now and again - but mostly each comment is deflected by an invisible force field. Just wish I had this magical power myself. :oops:

Great_Snake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

I can say I was almost never bullied. Other girls just didn't pay any attention to me at school, and all male bullies were concentrated on one helpless boy who couldn't defend himself and they hardly ever bullied girls. If they did, they did it verbally. They tried to get to me a couple of times, but I lost my head every time and answered with a heavy punch. It helped to get rid of bullying, though I still feel ashamed of my actions because no one ever tried to hurt me physically, and I could injure people.

Luna3201
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2015, 2:23 am

I was just thinking about this recently. I had been going to school with pretty much the same people since elementary, so they knew a lot about me. And I do remember one time someone said something that was mean and I didn't put up with it and everyone knew about it. Also I asked a friend about what everyone thought about me and she pretty much said everyone thought I was a pretty cool. And shocked to find out I wasn't very confident.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 6:49 am

I wouldn't say that I was never bullied because that is not true. I've been bullied so many times that I am always watching my back.
I was only beaten up once when I was very young. Most of the time I got hurt by words and people saying things behind my back that were not true. Others made fun of my mental state who were ignorant.

Nasanieru_024
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2016, 6:08 am

A few tried to bully me but I had to be pulled out of school a few years back because I had this problem where I was taught to fight back.

creepycrawler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2016, 10:01 am

Never, surprisingly. I chalk it up to there being easier targets and to me somehow being accepted into protective groups.

I was teased, but still rarely.

Somehow I think I gave off a "Don't mess with me" vibe. I spent a lot of time picturing myself as a velociraptor or monster like my user icon, so maybe some of that showed up.

Oddly, my older brother was bullied more than me, despite our similarities (and his much more threatening demeanor).

I think it's up to luck more than anything else.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 10:30 am

I do not think I was ever bullied. Not to say I never had any problems with anyone as a young person, but I would not call it bullying. It was more typical one friend fighting with another over something or other. Part of it, I know, was the school I attended an elementary school was full of kids with 'quirks' and we all seemed to extend tolerance to the odd things we all seemed to do. As a teen I had a bit of a reputation and people sometimes said I was scary... people still sometimes tell me I can be scary. That might be why people never gave me much crap. I dunno, but I never felt bullied as a child. If I was, I am oblivious to it.

steaker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2016, 11:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
If they were never bullied then they were either scary or fake aspies.

IDK I don't think I was ever bullied, I think it's just part of not living in a sh***y school district.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm

I was bullied a lot in grade school and MS. It ended when I began my HS years.

However, during my MS years, faculty didn't do much about me being bullied other than sending me to the principal's office. :evil:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:19 am

My mom thinks I was never bullied and thinks I was just sensitive and they were just being kids and just teasing and they did it to everyone. Then she turns around and tells me they were just mean kids because they did it to me all the time and never moved on. But yet she says she doesn't think I was bullied. Only teased.

No I was never beaten up or had my stuff taken or my clothes taken or given a swirley or had my homework taken or sabotaged or had anything poured on my head. But really just because it was never psychical doesn't make it not bullying. There is such thing as emotional abuse and mental abuse and being targeted and being taken advantage of and kids trying to get you into trouble. Bullying doesn't have to be psychical. It can be manipulative and sneaky.

But hey even if the kids were just teasing me than bullying, isn't that a hallmark of autism though? Not understanding teasing and misreading social cues of course. So of course I would just be sensitive. Also the fact I took things literal so I couldn't understand their game. But I didn't have the AS dx then so no one knew about it so I was just seen as being sensitive who needed to toughen up. I am sure me taking it seriously is what made me more of a target to get picked on because kids are mean and they saw they could just get me into trouble.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

father
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2016, 8:37 pm

Hi there, I am not autistic but I had to intrude the discussion . Me and almost 99 percent of NT are bullied in different stages of their education. It is not related to being autistic or not . There will be always a few guys who will bully the others, those NT who will accept being bullied ,will endure bullying .those who will not accept it will have much less bullying ,and sometimes turn into a bully himself as a sort of revenge . This is the way it is with NT .

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 8:30 am

father wrote:
Hi there, I am not autistic but I had to intrude the discussion . Me and almost 99 percent of NT are bullied in different stages of their education. It is not related to being autistic or not . There will be always a few guys who will bully the others, those NT who will accept being bullied ,will endure bullying .those who will not accept it will have much less bullying ,and sometimes turn into a bully himself as a sort of revenge . This is the way it is with NT .

Father, you are right that many people are bullied. The outcome of that bullying is related to being autistic, though. I have had NT people I felt were my friend make the assumption when I mention having been bullied that it's just something that happens to everyone. This is done with breathtaking thoughtlessness. Each time it horrifies me how utterly unwilling the person is to recognize a dark reality.

There are a lot of aspects of bullying that may matter more or less for different people. Some children and adults are too frightened to speak up whether they are NT or not. The details of what bullies do are probably related to the bully, not the victim, so the bullying behavior probably isn't any different.

But there are differences. Not recognizing you are being targeted makes it different. Not understanding manipulative social transactions that are all about power makes it different. Not being able to speak up, or to run, or to fight back because the social interaction is beyond you to figure out makes it different.

I am curious, did you choose your name because you are a father to someone on the spectrum?

biblophile
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2016, 1:15 pm

I was and sometimes continue to be bullied. in school it was more severe, sometimes resulting in beatings. These days if I happen to go for a walk people will yell profanity, of insults from their car windows. A couple of times a bottle or other rubbish was thrown out the car window at me. I do not go out side much any more.

CatLady53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2016, 2:22 pm

This sounds terrible in hindsight but I was bullied by someone as a toddler and my brother taught me to defend myself and I never looked back. I was this tiny girl and beat the $hit out of this boy and literally dragged his body and dumped him at his mother's feet. He never touched me again. I even remember fighting back the spankings from my grandma way back when. I never needed to get physical, I just gave people a look and they knew not to mess with me. My kid calls it the scary eyes. And I am not physically imposing by any means, I just leaned to project the tough guy persona. Lots of observation of gangster type movies plus hanging out with bad elements in HS, learned a lot about what to project. I don't use it anymore but I can still put that mask on if I need to.