Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2011, 5:58 am

Soccer may not be evil, but People from the USA...
Tell me that this is not real. that People don't really believe that Pearl harbour, where 2500 soldiers died, is not taught factually in the USA.
The incendiary bombing raids of Tokyo killed 125,000 people, and injured a million more and destroyed 16 square miles on one of the most densely populated cities in Japan (103,000 people per square mile) and not forgetting the atomic bomb dropped on two of Japan’s cities, where 420,000 civilians were killed; 269,446 in Hiroshima and 152,276 in Nagasaki almost overnight.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Jul 2011, 6:57 am

Tadpole wrote:
Tell me that this is not real. that People don't really believe that Pearl harbour, where 2500 soldiers died, is not taught factually in the USA.
The incendiary bombing raids of Tokyo killed 125,000 people, and injured a million more and destroyed 16 square miles on one of the most densely populated cities in Japan (103,000 people per square mile) and not forgetting the atomic bomb dropped on two of Japan’s cities, where 420,000 civilians were killed; 269,446 in Hiroshima and 152,276 in Nagasaki almost overnight.

what does WWII have to do with soccer??
yes D-day is taught in the US. I dont know what is your definition of factually is.
I hate that civilians were attacked and killed in Japan...even though it was the Japanese military that attacked us. Unfortunatly that is how war is conducted with no regards to the innocent people in the way.
I hate war. but some wars are nessisary...like getting rid of Hitler...no peace talks would stop him from trying to plunge the world back into the dark ages.
By why did Japan feel the need to strike pearl harbor in the first place...we were no threat to them until that happened.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2011, 7:17 am

Well done you managed to successfully miss the point, :wall: my post is about USAiens bemoaning the fact that a Female Soccer team of the USA lost to a Female soccer team From Japan, and claiming it didn’t matter as they the USAiens won the Second World War in revenge for Pearl harbour. (The attack on Pearl was known about two weeks before it happened, though intercepted radio traffic between Japanese Embassies in neutral countries and the US government allowed to happen as a legitimate way of bringing the USA in to the War.)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Jul 2011, 7:39 am

Tadpole wrote:
Well done you managed to successfully miss the point, :wall: my post is about USAiens bemoaning the fact that a Female Soccer team of the USA lost to a Female soccer team From Japan, and claiming it didn’t matter as they the USAiens won the Second World War in revenge for Pearl harbour. (The attack on Pearl was known about two weeks before it happened, though intercepted radio traffic between Japanese Embassies in neutral countries and the US government allowed to happen as a legitimate way of bringing the USA in to the War.)

Sorry to frustrate you...I can be clueless like that. I knew nothing of the soccer match period cuz I think group sports are stupid.
I usually throw away the sports page of a news paper. I like solo sports like biking and swimming though. I just find a bunch people chasing a ball around to not make any sense to me.

No that tid-bit is not taught in schools but that is because they have brainwash the young minds into an oblivion. Democracy is an illusion.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2011, 7:58 am

jojobean wrote:
Democracy is an illusion.
The United States is a republic, not a democracy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

Tadpole wrote:

Those last two figures are somewhat exaggerated. About 100,000 in Hiroshima were killed outright and the rest perished from the effects of radioactivity. Some died within weeks, other died from infections due to disable immune systems and cancers. The numbers in Nagasaki are somewhat smaller because the bomb was dropped in a depression between hills and that blunted the shock save.

Your figures are off by about a factor of two. However considering that the bombs were dropped by a -single- B-29 the results were impressive. It would have taken a thousand bombing planes with conventional weapons to produce the same amount of immediate damage.

In any case not nearly enough were killed. Over 90 percent of the Japanese population survived the war and considering the evil deeds of the Japanese Empire and its willing people (there were very enthusiastic before the war came home to haunt them), not nearly enough were killed.

President Truman authorized the use of chemical and biological warfare on Japan in order to minimize the horrendous casualty count that was anticipated. The Military Guys were figuring at least a million casualties if we had to invade Japan (as oppose to merely occupying Japan). If the gas and germs had been used it was estimated that somewhere between 10 and 20 million Japanese would have died from the effects.

ruveyn

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2011, 10:52 am

ruveyn wrote:
In any case not nearly enough were killed. Over 90 percent of the Japanese population survived the war and considering the evil deeds of the Japanese Empire and its willing people (there were very enthusiastic before the war came home to haunt them), not nearly enough were killed.

I guess this is what I expect from the USA as a nation. My facts are just that, facts.
“Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts” James R. Schlesinger, United States Secretary of Defence from 1973 to 1975,

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

Tadpole wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

I guess this is what I expect from the USA as a nation. My facts are just that, facts.
“Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts” James R. Schlesinger, United States Secretary of Defence from 1973 to 1975,

It was Daniel Moynihan that said that first.

Your figures are inaccurate by the way.

ruveyn

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tadpole wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

It was Daniel Moynihan that said that first.

Your figures are inaccurate by the way.

ruveyn

There is no evidence of Moynihan saying it, where there is evidence in James R. Schlesinger saying it in 1973.
“Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts” James R. Schlesinger, United States Secretary of Defence from 1973 to 1975
Daniel Moynihan (1927-2003), is referenced as to saying: “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” In a book published in 1996. Plagiarist copy writing is not the same as facts. No one witnessed him saying or remembers him saying it other than a man out to sell book books.
Facts are not really your strong point,
I guess you can blame your history teachers who spend 99 percent of the time teaching you American history from 1776 to present and 1 percent teaching you about how America saved the rest of the world.

Anyway back to the subject at hand why Americans are so happy to be racist over a soccer game between Japan and the USA oh of course it’s because you lost.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 6:32 pm

There are a bunch of evil Americans. I don't much like them. I suspect there are a bunch of not very nice Japanese as well, if you believe a small fraction of the Yakuza and Samurai stories. Don't stress over them. History doesn't mean much until the college level unless you go to a really good school or have a really good teacher. Most Texas history teachers do it as a side job to their primary occupation as football coach, and include some of the most inbred a*holes you could ever hope to find.

I didn't even feel too bad about the game. 15 shots in the first half, and only one on goal? We got what we had coming, really. I don't think I've seen a more dramatic game, ever, and that's the main reason I watch.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2011, 11:14 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
There are a bunch of evil Americans. I don't much like them. I suspect there are a bunch of not very nice Japanese as well, if you believe a small fraction of the Yakuza and Samurai stories. Don't stress over them. History doesn't mean much until the college level unless you go to a really good school or have a really good teacher. Most Texas history teachers do it as a side job to their primary occupation as football coach, and include some of the most inbred a*holes you could ever hope to find.

I didn't even feel too bad about the game. 15 shots in the first half, and only one on goal? We got what we had coming, really. I don't think I've seen a more dramatic game, ever, and that's the main reason I watch.

I'm American :(

I'm glad the US Soccer Women's team lost. The only reason Americans cared because the majority were attracted to the females (Solo and Morgan). The states don't really care for soccer, so why start now?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 7:45 am

I have no idea why you quoted me, since your comment doesn't seem like a response to mine, but I find your idiotic comment particularly galling because of that. The way you project your personal feelings onto the rest of the country just shows ignorance and puritanism.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I have no idea why you quoted me, since your comment doesn't seem like a response to mine, but I find your idiotic comment particularly galling because of that. The way you project your personal feelings onto the rest of the country just shows ignorance and puritanism.

Where is this coming from? I can't help but feel offended if you say, ''There are a bunch of evil Americans and you don't like many of them." Maybe you don't personally take offense to such things, but I do. You did talk about soccer in your last post, and I tried to make a connection. I can easily say the exact same thing about your statement of Americans, which can offend of us. That comment

The reason I stated my comment is because I notice that in American culture, sex appeal is a major draw. Soccer in the States isn't much cared for, since American Football, Basketball, and Baseball are way more popular in this country, and now all of the sudden they seem to gain a major draw not because of the sport, but because of the attractive females on the team. I don't think that should be a reason to be a fan of a team, and that's all I was trying to say. I'd be offended if there were a lot of 'fans' all of a sudden of a team or a sport and they are not fans at all.

I'll apologize If I offended you, but I was just trying to making conversation...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Tadpole wrote:

Anyway back to the subject at hand why Americans are so happy to be racist over a soccer game between Japan and the USA oh of course it’s because you lost.

The entire thing is silly beyond words. Jingo sports enthusiasm has very little to recommend it.

ruveyn