Page 774 of 789 [ 12616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777 ... 789  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 1:40 am

very sensible.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 1:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Because he has a British kettle.

Haha that was good.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 2:08 am

Easy to get a plug converter.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 2:41 am

Actualy its not 1 picture, it are 2 pictures.
Actualy its not 1 or 2 pictures, it are 3 pictures. :wink:

Slailie01
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2022, 7:46 am

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 10:16 pm

^^^you have really luxuriant hair :afro:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 12:27 am

Slailie01 wrote:

Older picture?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 10:31 am

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 1:41 pm

GadgetGuru wrote:
Points to any Americans who know what this is...

Brown wire to the fuse (Known as live. Used to be a red wire. One needs the correct fuse for the applience usually sold in 3 amp, 5 amp and 13 amp ratings but 1 amp and 10 amp are other options I have seen in the past tough harder to get).

Blue wire to the other lower pin (Known as neutral. Used to be black).

Yellow and green wire (If used) goes to earth ot the top larger pin. This used to be just green. This is used with appliances that are metal and the idea is if anything goes wrong with the applience where the current could go through the applience and cause an electric shock, the earth wire diverts the current to go back to the mains fuse board via the earth ground (Which is attached to the earth via a metal rod in the ground) and this current trips the trip switch or with older systems now superceeded would blow the fuse and prevent people from having an electric shock.
All the earth wires in the house would either be fixed to the house metal radiators and then to the ground, or will be sent via a wire to fix to the ground via a metal rod, so look for British houses earth usually in a visible position near the ground near ones front or back door or somewhere similar where it is visible to electricias to check if required.

UK houses have a 240 volt AC mains supply (Reduced about 20 years ago to 230v to comply with other EU countries which used to be 220v. The plugs are usually rated at 250v). Cant remember t
he frequency but it was purposly set at being one that would equal the human heart so there was less likelihood of death due to a shock? Or it was set at a rate that would the person asay from the applience? Cant remember but was set at a certain frequency for one of these reasons. Maybe others know more!
The highest current in a normal household is 30amps for cooker or similar appliences. This would be wired in direct as socketed plugs are only designed for a max of 13 amps. Electrical fires have been caused by people exceeding this 13 amp rating where wires etc may start to melt.
Many years ago electricity was only used for lighting and then appliences such as electric irons would be plugged directly to the light socket where the bulbs go! The earlier 3 pin plugs in the UK had round pins instead of these "Square" pins (They are not square but that is what they tend to be known as).

My brother used to be an electrician and he said that the midern European 2 pin plug system is safer these days as their trips are faster acting, but in the past the UK 3 pin was ahead in its day. (I assume he also means the American 2 pin plug as well?)
Nearly all UK sockets for the plugs contain an on and off switch as well, so one leaves the switches off until the plug needs to be switched on to apply power to the applience. This is an extra safety feature that has been in use in the UK for years.

I do know that the frequency of the current (And the voltage) is different in the USA but this could be because the voltage is different? I know in the past when Hornby brought out their Zero1 command control system for model railway use, that it needed the right mains frequency for it to work correctly as if someone imported a controller from the UK to the USA or vice versa and provided the required voltage via a converter, these would still not run correctly. Hornby made export versions specifically for the American market to cater for this, so it is worth knowing this when buying sensitive electrical appliances between the UK and the USA, apart from the need to step up or step down the voltage for the thing to work correctly.

No doubt many can correct me if I have said the wrong bit of information as I don't know a lot, but I do find things interesting... Such as our (UK) pylons to carry our electricity over distances usually carry two pairs of three phaze wires (6 wires) at 132,000 volts. This is stepped up from 415v to 11,000v and then to 132,000v, and then down to 11,000v and then to 415v where a single phase tapped off from this is the 240v AC for house use. Factories usually use 415v three phase supplies.
(I believe I am correct in this. I am going back to my years in collage which were a blur! I think ir was 415v).

Anyway. Not sure how that differs to the USA. Fascinating how each country decided what they needed for their own individual uses and many years later they tried to standardize across some countries for convenience...

The standard UK plug looks bulky but that is for safety. Some Chinese imported plugs would work in the UK but not passed for use due to them being made too thin so they were more likely for people to have accidental electrocution. (Probably safe enough if one is careful but best be safety concious just incase).

Thatbis all for now as my mind has stopped thinking of information...

Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 9:12 pm

Me and my wife some 6 years ago.
We look considerably more ravaged now after some tough years.
Time moves relentlessly forward.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 9:28 pm

^^^you both were hellafit :wtg:

Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 9:47 pm

Thanks, Blabby. Makes me happy to hear from you. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 9:57 pm

^^^you're welcome bro :bounce: :bounce:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 10:46 pm

1986 wrote:
Me and my wife some 6 years ago.
We look considerably more ravaged now after some tough years.
Time moves relentlessly forward.

Are you standing on a stool? :scratch:
Obviously, I am joking. :mrgreen:

Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 10:57 pm

Pepe wrote:
Are you standing on a stool? :scratch:
Obviously, I am joking. :mrgreen:

That's the result you get when the man is 192 cm tall and the woman 158. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran