Do other Aspies frustrate you with their aspiness?

Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Sep 2011, 6:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
red dwarf :huh: never saw a frame of that program. i was referring to The Hollie's 1974 hit "he ain't heavy [he's my brother]," a most soulful and heartwarming song.
now, as red GREEN would say, "remember, folks- we're all in this thing together."

Oh no, I know the song it's a reference to (but good job linking it :) ). What I meant is that there's a reference to the song in Red Dwarf that seemed appropriate in this thread, but I couldn't find that clip on youtube.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 6:26 am

I almost left WP after the first time I saw this thread because I had a creepy feeling that some of the posters were talking about me and trying to hide it. I didn't feel wanted or accepted. I don't try to frustrate anybody here and if you feel frustrated by the way that I present my way here on WP, I feel sorry for you because you're missing out on a lot. You guys know who you are. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for an apology, because some people think it's uncool to apologize....don't you just love the 2010s? I'll tell you one thing. I will not change my WrongPlanet ways. If you don't mind, I'm going to have a cup of tea and listen to The Kinks.

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2011, 6:41 am

:D

CockneyRebel wrote:
I almost left WP after the first time I saw this thread because I had a creepy feeling that some of the posters were talking about me and trying to hide it. I didn't feel wanted or accepted. I don't try to frustrate anybody here and if you feel frustrated by the way that I present my way here on WP, I feel sorry for you because you're missing out on a lot. You guys know who you are. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for an apology, because some people think it's uncool to apologize....don't you just love the 2010s? I'll tell you one thing. I will not change my WrongPlanet ways. If you don't mind, I'm going to have a cup of tea and listen to The Kinks.

I don't think that WP would survive long in your absence, CockneyRebel, given that the empty void that would result would bring about such great gravitonic upheaval that all reality would collapse in on itself. :lol:

For reasons beyond the scope of my thinking, I am eerily calmed by your presence, and have heard others say the same. Feel free to talk - er, type, rather - my ear off about your interest in The Kinks whenever you please.

Don't ever change for anyone. :D

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:13 am

Mercurial wrote:
Well, Aspies like me--the super-cerebral "little professor" types--usually don't irritate me. I might get a little bored if they talked endlessly about something I am not interested in, but I wouldn't get irritated unless they were a jerk to me or they say something that is factual wrong.
But other people on the spectrum--HFA, Aspie, whatever they want to call themselves--do irritate me often, to be honest. These people in my experience tend to be more emotionally demonstrative than they probably realize. I don't relate well to them at all and I find dealing with them very draining. I also am quite tired of the "I hate how people think all autistics are suppose to be geniuses!! !" crap. I honestly don't care how smart anyone on the spectrum is. I just know I am sick of the whining and projection. It's their insecurity and need for validation, and rather than confront that insecurity, they try to tear down other people on the spectrum. Just goes to show, we're not really that much different from neurotypicals when it comes to psychology and egos!

I'm not very O/C or bipolar. Emotionally, I'm quite stable and non-reactive, despite my low threshold for stress. If I'm not stressed, I'm downright zen-like by nature. Aspies who have more OCD or biploar traits tend to be more easily irritated than me.

My boss told me I was overly demonstrative with my emotions and she saw every little thing I did as a show of how I was feeling. I threw a key into a box (from an arm's length away), as I was in a hurry to tidy up and get out and she thought I was displaying my temper (as she'd pulled me up for something earlier that day). I was really hurt by this, as I conceal most of my emotions. If I expressed half of them, that would be too much. But, I don't doubt that I drain people, when I let me feelings show, which isn't that often.

As for the people going on about something you're not interested in (or have absolutely no knowledge of and don't even know what questions to ask to enter into the conversation) - try being at your daughter's engagement dinner, stuck between two guys going on and on about electronics and oblivious to the fact that you've been sitting there for 2 hours, not saying a word and losing the will to live. This happened to my dad when he was sitting between my FIL and BIL and was meeting them for the very first time - you'd think they'd have had something to ask him.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 7:58 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
As for the people going on about something you're not interested in (or have absolutely no knowledge of and don't even know what questions to ask to enter into the conversation) - try being at your daughter's engagement dinner, stuck between two guys going on and on about electronics and oblivious to the fact that you've been sitting there for 2 hours, not saying a word and losing the will to live. This happened to my dad when he was sitting between my FIL and BIL and was meeting them for the very first time - you'd think they'd have had something to ask him.

NT people do this to me all the time. Going on and on about some some pop-culture nonsense, or people I've never met (and have no interest in meeting, the stories make them sound so boring), 'til I want to shout at them to just shut the hell up. Only thing is, I can't. I know how embarassing that is, and couldn't do it to someone else.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:09 am

Yes, it happens a lot, with all sorts of people (a daily occurrence for me in the school playground, but at least I can walk away). My dad's experience was pretty extreme and made all the worse as he's shy.

NTbadMEgood
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2011, 8:27 am

Try looking through the 'wordiness' of most of my posts, I bet I annoy some of you 8O

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2011, 9:24 am

I find one of the most annoying things to be when someone tries to rub something in your face (figuratively) that is an opinionated answer to an opinionated topic---and they cannot seem to accept your opinion as valid.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 5:16 am

glider18 wrote:
I find one of the most annoying things to be when someone tries to rub something in your face (figuratively) that is an opinionated answer to an opinionated topic---and they cannot seem to accept your opinion as valid.

that is akin to mind rape.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 5:20 am

Monologuing, because I process verbal info more slowly and it overloads my brain.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

I don't think this is aspieness but it's so common in them. It frustrates me when I see them blame every single action or problem on their AS. Don't they ever consider it had nothing to do with it and it had to do with them being a young child or a teen or a pre teen and so on? Same as don't they ever consider the other person could have just been a jerk and they didn't do anything wrong? Besides they could be with the wrong group of people. There are tons of jerks out there.

Sensitivity to criticism.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

mds_02 wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

NT people do this to me all the time. Going on and on about some some pop-culture nonsense, or people I've never met (and have no interest in meeting, the stories make them sound so boring), 'til I want to shout at them to just shut the hell up. Only thing is, I can't. I know how embarassing that is, and couldn't do it to someone else.

And they say we do that all the time and don't pick up on any cues they re not interested?

It just baffles me how NTs can do AS stuff and not have it be a trait they have. I see it all the time and no wonder I feel so normal. If they can be aspies too, then so can I. I will just pass it off as normal. I say "everyone does it."

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't think this is aspieness but it's so common in them. It frustrates me when I see them blame every single action or problem on their AS. Don't they ever consider it had nothing to do with it and it had to do with them being a young child or a teen or a pre teen and so on?

They don't call it a "pervasive" development disorder for nothing. It really does affect just about every minute of every day of our lives, in large ways and in small ways. Sometimes there are other things besides that that make the difference between success and failure, but AS is always in play and it's hard to separate it out from other factors.

Quote:
Same as don't they ever consider the other person could have just been a jerk and they didn't do anything wrong? Besides they could be with the wrong group of people. There are tons of jerks out there.

True, other people aren't automatons who do nothing but react to our aspieness. They have their own agendas, some good and some evil.

Quote:
Sensitivity to criticism.

Yes, that's pretty common and frustrating. Actually really common and really frustrating.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

Wayne wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I don't think this is aspieness but it's so common in them. It frustrates me when I see them blame every single action or problem on their AS. Don't they ever consider it had nothing to do with it and it had to do with them being a young child or a teen or a pre teen and so on?

They don't call it a "pervasive" development disorder for nothing. It really does affect just about every minute of every day of our lives, in large ways and in small ways. Sometimes there are other things besides that that make the difference between success and failure, but AS is always in play and it's hard to separate it out from other factors.

Yeah they do but if it's normal at that age, then it can't be AS then can it? In fact it frustrates me when people say that was my AS when I know it's normal for kids at that age so I wonder what the heck. I feel they are scapgoating the label. For none ASD kids, it's their age they scapgoat. Luckily my mother called my behavior normal growing up but she knew I had something.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 2:25 pm

glider18 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
No, because I know how it feels when other people and even other WP members can get annoyed with me. It's almost caused me to leave WP a few times. I haven't been posting as much, because I know that some of you get annoyed when I post about my special interests.

.... As I stayed around, I noticed how much of a presence you are at the WP. You are a leader in posts. I can honestly tell you (and I mean honestly here), that when I see your name on a topic, I feel comfort. While there are things here that cause me anxiety, you bring me comfort and peace. I enjoy your enthusiasm toward your interests. I haven't really discussed your interests with you---because we all have our own interests. But I enjoy your obsession with the Kinks. When I feel down, your enthusiasm with your interests cheers me up. There are very few members here that I can say that about. You treat people here with respect. If you were to ever leave the WP, I would definitely shed a lot of tears. You are a major part of the WP. And speaking on my behalf---I am never frustrated by your interests. Instead, I find joy in your enthusiasm for your interests.

What he said. I'm old enough to remember the Kinks when they were new, and I was the age to be noticing everything about the rock scene, and I was never that interested in that particular group, but I do enjoy your interest! I'm more interested in them now than I was then, just because of you.

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Aspies annoy the living s*** out of me.

Rude, aloof, socially inept, blahing on all day.
Sounds like me actually.

I suppose they are just people at the end of the day too, and you just
have to meet one you click with. I know people who are more Aspie than me
and they have no idea - they have not been diagnosed. I like some of them
very much though.

This forum annoys the hell out of me. Everyone posting and ranting and very
few reading the posts or giving appropriate feedback.

I am persevering with it though, coz there are lots of little gems coming through.

I have a confession - I didn't read any of the posts apart from yours - so that
makes me a hypocrite as well ;-)

But people on forums annoy me any way. So please don't take it personal, it is
probably just me being moody.