Do other Aspies frustrate you with their aspiness?

Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

Say, you like astronomy, and a guy obsessed with cars is rambling on to you about cars. Would you be irritated?

Or if you and another aspie were having a conflict, and she responded inappropriately by laughing, would you get very mad?

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

Well, I do not know many Aspies, but my husband gets irritated with his daughter's aspiness and viceversa. Not with all the traits, but some of them. My daughter dislikes the fact that he father sames the same song over and over again. My husband dislikes the fact that our kid will talk about the same subject for hours (a subject he is not interested in). He just turns on the ipod abd ignores her.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

So yes, then? Poor daughter!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:22 pm

Good Lord yes.

:lol:

Just on this forum I see some people post with such a narrow obsessiveness that trying to dialogue is painful.

Of course, I stop and remind myself of TOM and wonder if I come across just as badly. :lol: :oops:

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

Yes. When two people who are low on natural trust try to interact a maddening lack of communication ensues even though I'm part of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

No, because I know how it feels when other people and even other WP members can get annoyed with me. It's almost caused me to leave WP a few times. I haven't been posting as much, because I know that some of you get annoyed when I post about my special interests.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

I'm Aspie, and I attend a social group for Aspies.

I gt frustrated in conversations when the subject is someones special interest and I'm not interested in that.

An aquaintance once talk about the Ashes cricket tests for around half an hour despite my trying to change the subject. I got fed up and said angrily "you've talked about that for 30 minutes! can we change the subject please!?". Luckily he's a pretty stoic guy.

I wonder sometimes if I put others in that position!

I can get flustered when something I am expecting doesn't eventuate, and I think it can grate on family members sometimes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

They can. Asking me the same questions over and over irritates me. That is why I stopped doing it because I had realized how irritating it is.

Me not ever getting the chance to speak also frustrates me. This has made me realize this was something I need to be aware of and work on it and try and let others speak, pause and wait a few seconds to see if the other person speaks and if they start to speak, let them speak and not talk over them.

People taking things literal frustrates me too, same as if another person gets anxious. That just makes me feel bad about myself because I imagine this is what I put other people through when I get this way.

Also lack of TOM irritates me because it always pisses me off when people expect me to be psychic and a mind reader. Even worse when I am treated like the bad guy for not knowing, even when I try and explain to them and they don't believe me, pisses me off. If only I'd get "Oops, sorry" then I am okay because they admitted their aspie mistake and isn't mad at me anymore because they forgot.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

I haven't met many aspies in real life. I suppose if anyone talks about themselves/ interests for the most of the conversation that would be annoying. Conversations are a two way street not a one way street

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 10:54 pm

Haven't met that many aspies, but from the ones I've met, only a few got on my nerves because they were so... antisocial.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm

Its doesnt really bother me. I used to be obseeed with record tips because they were made out of corundum. (rubies&sapphires) and diamonds. I wanted to collect them, I'm shure i've told more than a few people about how badass they were and they were like "ok" thats enough.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Good Lord yes.

:lol:

Just on this forum I see some people post with such a narrow obsessiveness that trying to dialogue is painful.

Of course, I stop and remind myself of TOM and wonder if I come across just as badly. :lol: :oops:

I was going to say the exact same thing.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

23 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm

Depends on the Aspie I'm talking to.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 12:28 am

Well, Aspies like me--the super-cerebral "little professor" types--usually don't irritate me. I might get a little bored if they talked endlessly about something I am not interested in, but I wouldn't get irritated unless they were a jerk to me or they say something that is factual wrong.

But other people on the spectrum--HFA, Aspie, whatever they want to call themselves--do irritate me often, to be honest. These people in my experience tend to be more emotionally demonstrative than they probably realize. I don't relate well to them at all and I find dealing with them very draining. I also am quite tired of the "I hate how people think all autistics are suppose to be geniuses!! !" crap. I honestly don't care how smart anyone on the spectrum is. I just know I am sick of the whining and projection. It's their insecurity and need for validation, and rather than confront that insecurity, they try to tear down other people on the spectrum. Just goes to show, we're not really that much different from neurotypicals when it comes to psychology and egos!

I'm not very O/C or bipolar. Emotionally, I'm quite stable and non-reactive, despite my low threshold for stress. If I'm not stressed, I'm downright zen-like by nature. Aspies who have more OCD or biploar traits tend to be more easily irritated than me.

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2011, 12:34 am

yes

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 4:12 am

Better question:

"Do other people frustrate you?"

Yes.
This of course includes other people with an ASD and people without.
But not all people, all the time.
Just some people, some of the time.