Do other Aspies frustrate you with their aspiness?

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

I never knew what my condition was called until this year, but looking back I always tried to get other "nerdy" people to shut up. It was kind of like "be careful, or they'll notice us!" I even told my cousin once to watch what he said around "the mortals." :)

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i used to frustrate myself with my own aspieness, and still do from time to time. but other aspies aren't heavy, they're my brothers. 8)

Needs a thumbs up emoticon here.

ok then, :wtg:
i'm glad you're of the generation [or close enough to it] to get the musical reference.

Not only the musical reference, which I do remember, but the story of the little incident that the song is about. And it's current, too: Boys' Town puts the quote and picture on stickers and cards every Christmas, which they send out to people on their donors' snail mail list. I think there's a statue somewhere too, or maybe a painting (it's always the same picture, pretty close), probably at Boys' Town.

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

N0tYetDeadFred wrote:
I never knew what my condition was called until this year, but looking back I always tried to get other "nerdy" people to shut up. It was kind of like "be careful, or they'll notice us!" I even told my cousin once to watch what he said around "the mortals." :)

Ah this made me laugh. Being a bit of a nerd myself.
Are you into computer stuff by any chance?

Funny post!

ZippyZ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

I'm not sure if I know another aspie or not. I know he gets disability money, but not for what exactly. I do know he had a tendency to be awkward in what he said and when he would not be able to stop saying things that made him look more ridiculous. Actually, I think I know another person like that online.

All I know is that I am different from a typical Asperger's in that I seem to have a more NT level of tolerance for difference and behaviors. It's like... I'd love to help the person to not be so annoying to others (and a little to me), but I don't know the right methods to teach him otherwise.

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

Face it - we all have problems communicating..

ZaannV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

It bugs me when they go really deep into something you just wanted to keep simple and express.
When everything is constantly miss understood and interpreted. I find it really hard to get on with people who have aspergers, but i cant judge so i just avoid most confrontations and isolate myself, i find it hard to get on with most people in honesty
I have aspergers and i feel i cant relate in some ways to others with aspies. but then i dont know what i do thats aspie because i just do what i do, so i might be pissing another aspie off all the time

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2011, 4:52 pm

A couple of months ago I went to an Asperger meetup. The moderator opened the meeting with "introductions" by telling the dozen or so aspies to, one by one, "tell us a little bit about yourselves".

More than an hour later, we started the meeting itself.

Yeah that was pretty frustrating.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 6:02 pm

Wayne wrote:
A couple of months ago I went to an Asperger meetup. The moderator opened the meeting with "introductions" by telling the dozen or so aspies to, one by one, "tell us a little bit about yourselves".

I have a hard time answering that question. In our groups, we have a time limit for talking. I think that's good.

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Wayne wrote:

I have a hard time answering that question. In our groups, we have a time limit for talking. I think that's good.

I think it's good too... the moderator introduced that for the following meeting. Strange... he'd been running them for a couple of years. I don't see how this didn't happen before.

Anyway, yeah, we all had a hard time answering that question, or more to the point, boiling down the answer to that question to a reasonable length. Kinda goes with the package I guess.

Padraig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

Sometimes. I think there are two categories of this for me.

Category 1: Anti-social people

I've met two people with Aspergers who are -- to put it simply -- mean. They make no effort to avoid making people feel bad. When they've been told that they've hurt someone's feelings, or come to that realisation on their own, they don't care.

Those people I actively dislike.

Category 2: Other people

I'm going to use my friend as an example of the type of people I put in this category.

My friend can often be dismissive or ignore me because he's too occupied with whatever he's doing/thinking/saying. He doesn't do this to upset me, and when he does realise that he has (I don't usually tell him because I know he doesn't mean to) he feels bad about it and tried to make me feel better.

On the other side, I've been told by him many times that I'm taking something too literally, and it annoys him when he was trying to make a joke or point out the humour in something. Again, it's not something I do to irritate people, I just don't always understand exactly what was meant if it is unspecific.

To conclude, I generally do like the company of people with Aspergers because it's nice to be around people who make more sense than most other people, and that they are able to understand and sympathise with my quirks and difficulties.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm

My, this thread gets a lot of bumping.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Its been running for 5 days and has had replies everyday....so. not really

Why do you dislike criticism so much CR?

oh wait, your an aspie! :wink:

Investing oneself here on WP has its downsides, like being too sensitive about content expressed.

Its good just to let things go.... and not take threads like this to heart

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:28 am

Wayne wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Wayne wrote:

I think it's good too... the moderator introduced that for the following meeting. Strange... he'd been running them for a couple of years. I don't see how this didn't happen before.

Anyway, yeah, we all had a hard time answering that question, or more to the point, boiling down the answer to that question to a reasonable length. Kinda goes with the package I guess.

Except both the groups leaders break their own rule because they go on and on. One of them even cuts people off without realizing it so she tells all of us if we were still talking and then she starts, let her know.

Then what i found annoying was when I got chewed out in one of the groups and then he apologized to me after it and told me I need to be more aware of my surroundings and work on that trait. I felt annoyed because it's one of my pet peeves to be lectured by another aspie about my traits when they have traits they need to work on themselves. So another aspie thing that annoys me. :P In fact it annoys me when any aspie tells the rest of us aspies what aspieness to change about ourselves when they have traits they need to work on too and haven't changed it yet.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Starting this thread is like an NT starting a thread about things people do that annoy them. So all the Nts start posting away about what annoys them people do.

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2011, 1:09 am

I think that self-referential humour can be very healthy. I don't really care if people are annoyed by me or my incessant rambling, but I do find it hilarious when someone points out that I need to shut the hell up. :lol:

Wait, that is what this thread is about, right, self-referential humour?? :?

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2011, 8:22 am

See what I mean?