Page 7 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:35 pm

If one were to put a label on the things I've experienced and done, then psychic would most likely be it. Honestly, though, I think everyone has the abilities I do. Some just pay more attention than others.

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

the last 'psychic' occasion i can readily recall was a little more than a year ago. I got a wind-up crawling caterpillar toy. I was driving to work and randomly thinking about naming him Samuel L. Jackson The Caterpillar. I of coarse didn't mention this random thought to anyone, but within an hour one of my co-workers mentioned a crappy movie they saw starring Samuel L. Jackson (Lakeview Terrace). Of coarse i didn't mention the strange coincidence between my slightly earlier random thought, and the random discussion of the movie, but i settled on naming my caterpillar toy Samuel L. Jackson the caterpillar. I prefer not to use the word psychic because it makes me cringe, it is linked to so much stupidity that is the enemy of science.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:58 pm

I would love to have the telekinetic ability to make people's head explode like on the movie Scanners. There would be fewer as*holes runnng around and a big mess to clean up.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 2:29 am

Todesking wrote:

To be fair this will not cut the mustard with Fnord. As an academic he will require at least peer reviewed articles with demonstrable evidence of psychic power. The following peer reviewed publications do demonstrate psychic abilities in Homo Sapiens...as the authors admit the mechanism is not understood but the phenomena is very real

Rock AJ, Beischel J, and Schwartz GE. (accepted). Thematic analysis of research mediums' experiences of discarnate communication. Journal of Scientific Exploration

Beischel J, Schwartz GE. Anomalous information reception by research mediums demonstrated using a novel triple-blind protocol. EXPLORE: The Journal of Science & Healing. 2007;3(1):23-27.

Beischel J, Schwartz GE. Are research mediums real? A triple-blind study of anomalous information reception. Toward a Science of Consciousness 2006, April 4-8, 2006.

Schwartz GER, Russek LGS, Barentsen C. Accuracy and replicability of anomalous information retrieval: replication and extension. Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. 2002;66(3):144-156.

Schwartz GER, Russek LGS. Evidence of anomalous information retrieval between two mediums: telepathy, network memory resonance, and continuance of consciousness. Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. 2001;65(4):257-275.

Schwartz GER, Russek LGS, Nelson LA, Barentsen C. Accuracy and replicability of anomalous after-death communication across highly skilled mediums. Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. 2001;65(1):1-25.

Schwartz GE. 2001. Accuracy and replicability of anomalous after-death communication across highly skilled mediums: a call for balanced evidence-based skepticism. The Paranormal Review: 20.

Schwartz GE, Russek LG. 2001. Celebrating Susy Smith’s Soul: Preliminary Evidence for the Continuance of Smith’s Consciousness After Her Physical Death. Journal of Religious and Psychical Research 24(2): 82-91.

Schwartz, Ph.D., Gary E. R., Linda G. S. Russek, Ph.D., Donald E. Watson, M.D., Susy Smith, Elizabeth H. Smith (hyp), William James, M.D.(hyp), Henry I. Russek, M.D.(hyp), and Howard Schwartz, M.S.(hyp). 1999. Potential Medium to Departed to Medium Communication of Pictorial Information: Exploratory Evidence Consistent with Psi and Survival of Consciousness. The Noetic Journal 2(3): 283-294.

I should imagine Fnord will run away when he's see this list....

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 6:33 am

Not all scientists deny the possibility of a "sixth sense" as some like to call it. The famous physicist Michio Kaku is one example. He equates having the ability to think outside the box with having a sixth sense and acknowledges today's technology would appear paranormal to people in the distant past.

If you explained what a cellphone is to someone living 2000 years ago, what would they think? What if you showed them a video or photo of someone using one? For one thing, a person from back then would be astounded at the production of a photo or video, let alone the cellphone depicted. What about jet airplanes or space stations? It would all appear quite paranormal to them yet we can prove the existence of this technology to them by explaining it in scientific ways. Initially, primitive man would consider such advances impossible.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:14 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Not all scientists deny the possibility of a "sixth sense" as some like to call it. The famous physicist Michio Kaku is one example. He equates having the ability to think outside the box with having a sixth sense and acknowledges today's technology would appear paranormal to people in the distant past.

Kaku's technical writings are confined to theoretical physics, however he chooses to do his public speaking and media appearances cover a broad range of topics outside his chosen field. He is similar to a Japanese-Canadian scientist David Suzuki who was a zoologist but made public speeches on population and human studies way outside his expertise. Despite being good communicators and making basic science easily accessible to the public, I find both of them to be fairly irritating and they have a tendency to make statements with little to back themselves. Sought of like "hey I'm a big shot in the media so whatever oponion I have about the price of hamburgers, world population or deforestation has gotta be right".

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
If you explained what a cellphone is to someone living 2000 years ago, what would they think? What if you showed them a video or photo of someone using one? For one thing, a person from back then would be astounded at the production of a photo or video, let alone the cellphone depicted. What about jet airplanes or space stations? It would all appear quite paranormal to them yet we can prove the existence of this technology to them by explaining it in scientific ways. Initially, primitive man would consider such advances impossible.

Very true, the problem with our scientific paradigm was well described by the late science writer Carl Sagan (himself a skeptic) who described human perception of the universe like a disc sitting on his office table that could only view 360 degrees along it's edges but was completely blind to everything above and below it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:50 am

My point about Kaku is he challenges people to open their minds and to not be so confined by the way they think. He might not be Einstein, but he's entertaining to watch.

Speaking of Einstein, I detect a hint of the paranormal in his thinking mode, which made him before his time.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

There are problems with definitions here. For example, "paranormal" could mean "magical things" to one person and simply "not yet understood" to another. This isn't just me being pedantic. This profoundly effects the communication.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 12:31 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
There are problems with definitions here. For example, "paranormal" could mean "magical things" to one person and simply "not yet understood" to another. This isn't just me being pedantic. This profoundly effects the communication.

Sometimes "not yet understood" appears as "magical things" to the uninitiated. Just the nature of Einstein's discoveries being so radically different from what we had before and how they catapulted the human species into the nuclear age suggests paranormal undertones. It's like, so beyond the norm.

Just imagine if it were the norm and Einstein- like thinking were the norm in all fields. We'd be exploring interstellar space by now.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

my cat ran away for two months and ten days. i walked around like i was in a trance. one day, on the bus back from work, i felt her presence and imagined huge blue eyes watching the bus. i rushed home and she wasn't there. later that evening i sat watching TV and something made me look away from the TV to find her. she must've leapt in through the window. (i live ground level and keep the windows open).
she had heart and kidneys problems, not caused by, or made worse by her running away. two and a half months later, i had a dream she was running on the road and getting hit by cars and i kept thinking she wasn't hit badly, and then saw she was dying. the next day she started breathing fast and i didn't realize it untill it was pointed to me by the doctor. two days later, she died.
that's not the first time a dream of mine came true, by the way, but it hardly ever happens.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

Sometimes "not yet understood" appears as "magical things" to the uninitiated. Just the nature of Einstein's discoveries being so radically different from what we had before and how they catapulted the human species into the nuclear age suggests paranormal undertones. It's like, so beyond the norm.

Just imagine if it were the norm and Einstein- like thinking were the norm in all fields. We'd be exploring interstellar space by now.

What appears magical to the uninitiated is one thing. But there are those that assume magic is the root cause of some phenomena. This is where there is a great divide in the communications surrounding psychic abilities. Some assume that all that is lacking is sufficient knowledge and that once attained the psychic ability will then come under the domain of science. Others assume that science will NEVER explain psychic phenomena. Yet both use the term "paranormal", all the while failing to communicate.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

What appears magical to the uninitiated is one thing. But there are those that assume magic is the root cause of some phenomena. This is where there is a great divide in the communications surrounding psychic abilities. Some assume that all that is lacking is sufficient knowledge and that once attained the psychic ability will then come under the domain of science. Others assume that science will NEVER explain psychic phenomena. Yet both use the term "paranormal", all the while failing to communicate.

Anything can be explained. People crave absolutes - it can only be this so it can never be that. There are explanations. They just need to be deducted or discovered.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

It is a communication issue, that can be particularly confusing in reading research done on "paranormal phenomenon". In the report on Remote Viewing that recommended the Government Project Stargate was no longer warranted, it was determined that remote viewing wasn't an accurate avenue for intelligence gathering, however the scientists that reviewed the research that the government had done on anamolous cognition agreed that the phenomenon was possible and had been scientifically reliably demonstrated.

Earlier in the report the scientists suggested that it could not be demonstrated whether or not the phenomenon was of paranormal origin (beyond scientific explanation).

Their conclusion was that the phenomenon had reliably been demonstrated to exist and that additional funding to prove that the phenomenon existed was not needed. Instead they recommended that further research funds be allocated to an investigation of what caused the phenomenon. The closest explanation any scientist has offered to this point is a relation to some of the controversial new theories in Quantum Mechanics, but no direct relationship has been measured to what the physical and/or biological origin is of the scientifically reliably demonstrated phenomenon of anamalous cognition.

Full report: http://www.lfr.org/lfr/csl/library/AirReport.pdf

Quote:
7. CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
It is clear to this author that anomalous cognition is possible and has been demonstrated.
This conclusion is not based on belief, but rather on commonly accepted scientific criteria. The phenomenon has been replicated in a number of forms across laboratories and cultures. The various experiments in which it has been observed have been different enough that if some subtle methodological problems can explain the results, then there would have to be a different explanation for each type of experiment, yet the impact would have to be similar across experiments and laboratories. If fraud were responsible, similarly, it would require an equivalent amount of fraud on the part of a large number of experimenters or an even larger number of subjects.

What is not so clear is that we have progressed very far in understanding the mechanism for
anomalous cognition. Senders do not appear to be necessary at all; feedback of the correct answer may or may not be necessary. Distance in time and space do not seem to be an impediment. Beyond those conclusions, we know very little.

I believe that it would be wasteful of valuable resources to continue to look for proof. No one
who has examined all of the data across laboratories, taken as a collective whole, has been able to suggest methodological or statistical problems to explain the ever-increasing and consistent results to date.

Resources should be directed to the pertinent questions about how this ability works. I am confident that the questions are no more elusive than any other questions in science dealing with small to medium sized effects, and that if appropriate resources are targeted to appropriate questions, we can have answers within the next decade.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Anything can be explained.

This is an assertion that can neither be proved nor disproved.

I tend towards believing that we perceive more than we can explain and that explanations only further deepen our perceptions.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

Edgar Cayce Wisdom Quotes

A collection of inspirational quotes & sayings by Edgar Cayce, a psychic and healer. Also known as the 'Sleeping Prophet', who gave readings by tapping into a universal level of mind, and covered topics of physical health, past life readings, business advice, dream interpretation and mental/spiritual health.

Actually, we have no problems -
we have opportunities for which we should give thanks...
An error we refuse to correct has many lives.
It takes courage to face one's own shortcomings
and wisdom to do something about them.

You grow to heaven. You don't go to heaven.

All souls were created in the beginning and are finding
their way back to whence they came.

Each soul enters with a mission.
We all have a mission to perform.

He who understands nature walks close with God.

Life is continuous, and is Infinite.

In each atom, in each corpuscle, is life.
Life is that you worship as God.

For the earth is only an atom in the universe of worlds.

The conquering of self is truly greater than were one to
conquer many worlds.

The spirit is life.
The mind is the builder.
The physical is the result.

It is not all of life to live,
nor yet all of death to die.
For life and death are one,
and only those who will consider the experience as one
may come to understand or
comprehend what peace indeed means.

Death is only passing through God's other door.

You see, death is not the grave as many people think.
It is another phenomenized form of life.

Only the destructive forces know death as lord.
Only spiritual forces know life as the Lord.
Know ye the Lord!

The last to be overcome is death,
and the knowledge of life is the knowledge of death.

Learn to live!
Then there is no death, save the transition, when desired.
Many live who have never died as yet.

Death in the physical is the birth in the spiritual.
Birth in the physical is death in the spiritual.

All you may know of heaven or hell
is within your own self.

From what may anyone be saved?
Only from themselves!
That is, their individual hell.
They dig it with their own desires.

You'll not be in heaven if you're not leaning on the arm
of someone you have helped.

About Edgar Cayce(1877 – 1945)
Edgar Cayce Edgar Cayce, also known as the Sleeping Prophet) was a devout Christian who read the Bible in its entirety once a year. He had a psychic gift from childhood, which put him on his career path at the age of 21 as a psychic and healer. He was able to put himself into an altered state of consciousness, or sleeping state. In this state, he was able to tap into a universal level of mind and answer various kinds of questions, usually related to a particular individual. These 'readings', covered topics of physical health, past life readings, business advice, dream interpretation and mental/spiritual health. His success rate for physical readings was 100%, and many of his global and medical predicitions have come true.

In 1931 he founded the Association for Research and Enlightenment, Inc. (A.R.E.) in Virginia Beach, Virginia, to document, research and disseminate his information. The A.R.E. currently house all of his readings (over 14,000) and follow-ups to the readings, all of which are available to the public.

There are several biographies on Edgar Cayce, as well as over 300 titles discussing various aspects of his life and work. Among these are:
. There Is a River (1942) by Thomas Sugrue
. The Sleeping Prophet (1967) by Jess Stearn
. Many Mansions (1950) by Gina Cerminara, and
. Edgar Cayce-An American Prophet (2000) by Sidney Kirkpatrick

For more information about Edgar Cayce, visit the Association for Research and Enlightenment

monkees4va
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

I've dreamt random occurrences then get a very strange feeling of deja vu months later when I realise it's happening like the dream.

I have also had spiritual experiences involving my dead grandparents. Used to spook my mother when I was younger telling her stuff about nursing the the 20's that only my dead grandmother knew about and had talked about. I'd never met her and nobody had told me the stories. :/

Can sometimes 'feel' like there's a presence in the room as well.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie